*

upload_article_image

The Latest: Houlihan's name removed from trials start list

The latest on U.S. Track and Field Olympic trials (All times PDT):

12:40 p.m.

Shelby Houlihan's name has been taken off the updated start lists for the U.S. Olympic trials, meaning the American record holder does not have a place in the 1,500 or 5,000 meter preliminaries Friday.

Houlihan was handed a four-year ban for testing positive for trace amounts of the performance enhancer nandrolone. She says the substance entered her system after she ate a pork burrito. There are several examples of tainted meats causing positive tests.

USA Track and Field initially said Houlihan would be allowed to run until all her appeals were exhausted. Later, it said it would not allow any banned athlete to compete.

Houlihan could have appealed the decision by the Court of Arbitration for Sport, which is based in Switzerland, to that country's highest court.

As of noon in Eugene, however, no word of such a filing had been given, meaning her suspension remains in place.

12:15 p.m.

U.S. Track and Field Olympic trials have kicked off at the newly renovated Hayward Field in Eugene, Oregon.

Six spots for the Tokyo Games are up for grabs Friday — three in men's shot put and three in the men's 10,000 meters.

The shot put features a showdown between reigning Olympic gold medalist Ryan Crouser and 2019 world champion Joe Kovacs.

Featured in the 10,000 is 36-year-old Lopez Lomong. One of the “Lost Boys of Sudan,” he became an American citizen in 2007 and carried the flag for the U.S. at the 2008 Beijing Games.

Also running Friday is Allyson Felix, who begins her quest for a fifth Olympics in the preliminary heats of the women's 400.

More AP Olympics: https://apnews.com/hub/olympic-games and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports