Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

F1 Grand Prix ignites excitement in China with first Chinese driver

China

F1 Grand Prix ignites excitement in China with first Chinese driver
China

China

F1 Grand Prix ignites excitement in China with first Chinese driver

2024-04-21 20:59 Last Updated At:21:39

⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠The Formula One Chinese Grand Prix has returned to Shanghai this weekend after a four-year hiatus, igniting unprecedented excitement with Zhou Guanyu, the first Chinese driver in F1 history, competing on home turf.   The engines are roaring once again under the Shanghai sky, with an estimated 170,000 fans expected at the venue, stirring vibrancy and fancy for the first Chinese driver in F1 history as well as the event.   Fans from across China, including Beijing, Suzhou, Guangzhou, and Nanjing, have flocked to the event, where tickets sold out within a short time in January. Hotel bookings in Shanghai surged, showing a year-on-year increase of over 60 percent for the period of April 18-22.   "I'm so excited," said a spectator from the southern city of Guangzhou. "I spent about an hour to buy a ticket," she added.   "My heart beat faster when I arrived at the Shanghai Circuit," remarked another spectator from Nanning in the southern Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region. "I spent about an hour to buy a ticket," he shared.   Another spectator highlighted the high demand, saying, "My friend and I each bought a one-day ticket because it's really hard to buy the three-day one."   At this year's race, the spotlight shines brightest on Zhou Guanyu. Racing in his hometown for the first time, Zhou's presence at the Grand Prix has intensified local interest.

Zhou, racing for Sauber, secured a 14th-place finish in Sunday's race and stepped out of his car to thunderous cheers from the local fans, visibly moved to tears.

"I'm so proud of Zhou Guanyu," said the spectator from Nanning.   "I started to like him when he became an F1 driver," the spectator from Guangzhou stated.   Zhou's influence extends beyond the track. His mother published a biography earlier in April, and a documentary about Zhou premiered during the Grand Prix weekend, drawing large crowds to theaters.   "This sport is niche. I'm happy a Chinese driver is promoting the sport in China," said a fan who attended the premiere.   This year's event is not just about racing. A music festival and merchandise sales have been added, enhancing the overall experience.   "We've held a lot of Formula One events in the past. But there're something special that we've noticed this year," explained Xia Qing, operation director at Shanghai JUCE Culture and Media.   "Many people have started to wait outside the ticket check point at 08:30 in the morning. They're not only here to watch the race, but also enjoy the services we provide," Xia added.   Zhou's dream of standing on the podium remains a powerful motivator. His participation has raised awareness of Formula One in China and contributed to Shanghai's economic vitality.   According to a 2019 report by the Chinese sports administration, the Grand Prix is one of the top three sporting events in Shanghai, accounting for over 70 percent of the city's major sports economic revenue.

As interest in the sport grows, the contributions of Formula One are only expected to increase.

F1 Grand Prix ignites excitement in China with first Chinese driver

F1 Grand Prix ignites excitement in China with first Chinese driver

Next Article

Palestinian death toll in Gaza rises to 35,647: health authorities

2024-05-22 09:04 Last Updated At:10:37

The Palestinian death toll from the ongoing Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip has risen to 35,647, health authorities in the Palestinian enclave said in a press statement on Tuesday.

Over the past 24 hours, the Israeli army killed 85 Palestinians and wounded 200 others, bringing the total death toll to 35,647 and injuries to 79,852 since the latest round of Palestinian-Israeli conflict broke out on October 7, 2023.

The health authorities also said that many casualties remain buried under the rubble, making it difficult for medical emergency and civil defense personnel to carry out rescue operations.

The Israeli army said in a statement that drones and fighter aircraft bombed nearly 70 "terrorist targets" in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, including military buildings, weapons depots, warehouses, rocket launchers, surveillance units, and other military infrastructure.

Israeli forces killed a number of militants in the Jabalia area of the northern Gaza Strip, including a "terrorist group" that was shooting at soldiers, read the statement.

It added that Israeli forces were continuing their operations in the southernmost Gazan city of Rafah, where a drone killed a "terrorist" who was firing mortar shells at Israeli soldiers.

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) announced on Tuesday that the Israeli military and Military Intelligence Directorate launched a joint military operation in the West Bank city of Jenin earlier Tuesday.

According to information from Israeli intelligence agencies, Palestinian armed personnel were active in the area. During the operation, the Israeli military engaged in firefights with the Palestinian armed personnel and destroyed a significant amount of infrastructure.

The Palestinian health ministry issued a statement on Tuesday, saying that on that day, the Israeli military killed seven Palestinians and injured 12 others in Jenin and the nearby refugee camp. Two of the injured are in serious condition.

Palestinian death toll in Gaza rises to 35,647: health authorities

Palestinian death toll in Gaza rises to 35,647: health authorities

Recommended Articles