Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

South China battles downpours, floods

China

South China battles downpours, floods
China

China

South China battles downpours, floods

2024-04-22 16:15 Last Updated At:17:07

Continuous heavy rainfall in the past few days has caused floods, trapped residents, damaged infrastructure and disrupted transport in south China while relevant authorities at various levels are going all out to mitigate losses.

The State Flood Control and Drought Relief Headquarters on Sunday activated a Level III emergency response for flood control in southern province of Guangdong.

The Guangdong provincial flood, drought and wind prevention headquarters on Saturday upgraded its emergency response for flood control from Level III to Level II, and the provincial disaster reduction committee has initiated a Level IV emergency response.

As water levels at over 30 hydrological stations in the province have surpassed the alert threshold, the Guangdong Maritime Safety Administration on Sunday initiated a level II emergency response.

China has a four-tier flood control emergency response system, with Level I being the most severe response.

"We have sent five working groups to five key areas for on-the-spot inspection and instruction and dispatched a large number of rescuers, large machinery such as excavators, drones and bulldozers, and communication support devices to help the affected areas promptly deal with emergencies," said Wang Xu, an official with the provincial emergency management department.

In Shaoguan City of Guangdong, days of heavy rains triggered a landslide in Jiangwan Town on Saturday, paralyzing traffic and cutting off the entire town from water, internet, electricity and telecommunication services.

Rescuers deployed helicopters to transport the injured and supplies on Sunday, with more than 80 of them walking 24 hours to the isolated town for rescue operations.

As of 00:00 Sunday, 239 residents in the town had been evacuated, and part of power supply and emergency telecommunication services had been restored in the community.

In Qingyuan City of Guangdong, a middle school was waterlogged on Saturday, trapping more than 700 students. They were relocated to safe areas after seven hours of rescue operation.

In Fengkai County, rescuers transfered more than 100 stranded residents in local communities and markets to safe areas with inflatable boats on Sunday.

As of Sunday afternoon, a total of 82,559 people had been evacuated across Guangdong.

In Wuzhou City, south China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, heavy rains have prompted more patrols along main navigable waters by local maritime authorities, who have also warned the public in high-risk areas to take precautions.

Fangchenggang City of Guangxi on Sunday activated a Level IV emergency response for flood control.

In Hezhou City of Guangxi, the heavy rainfall that started on Friday has raised water levels in rivers, flooded roads, farmland and houses, and disrupted traffic.

In Ganzhou City of east China's Jiangxi Province, an old village cabin partially collapsed on Sunday, trapping two elderly dwellers. Upon receiving a call, local firefighting forces rushed to the site and moved them out with ladders.

Medical examinations suggested the two elderly were in good health. They were then handed over to village officials.

In central China's Hunan Province, a large number of travelers were stranded by torrential rains at the Chenzhou railway station on Saturday. The municipal authorities arranged to transfer them to the Chenzhou West high-speed railway station so that they could continue their trips.

"I was deeply moved. During the time after we got off the train and went to the bus, all staff members were holding umbrellas and standing side by side to form a safe corridor. None of us got wet when we come here," said Mr. Xing, a traveler.

The transfer finished on the same night, with more than 11,000 travelers safely reaching the high-speed railway station.

South China battles downpours, floods

South China battles downpours, floods

Next Article

China's chip industry investment fund raises 114 billion yuan from major banks

2024-05-28 17:59 Last Updated At:18:07

China's National Integrated Circuit Industry Investment Fund, also known as "Big Fund," has been funded from the country's six major banks in its third phase, according to announcements released by these banks on Monday.

The Bank of China, ICBC, and China Construction Bank are among the lenders which will make a total investment of 114 billion yuan (about 15.7 billion U.S. dollars).

Insiders said that areas of investment have yet to be determined, but the fund is likely to focus on equipment, materials, and parts for large chip factories and other stranglehold areas.

Analysts also expected the fund to list high-value added dynamic random-access memory chips as a target of investment.

China's chip industry investment fund raises 114 billion yuan from major banks

China's chip industry investment fund raises 114 billion yuan from major banks

Recommended Articles