Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Fatalities climb to 57 with 22 missing in Indonesia's lava floods

China

China

China

Fatalities climb to 57 with 22 missing in Indonesia's lava floods

2024-05-15 09:16 Last Updated At:18:47

The death toll from the cold lava floods in West Sumatra Province of Indonesia has risen to 57, with 22 people still missing, a senior official of a local disaster agency said on Tuesday evening.

The cold lava floods on Saturday night, which were triggered by rains, destroyed buildings, roads and other infrastructure facilities in the regencies of Tanah Datar, Agam and Pariaman, and Padang Panjang town.

The rescuers have been carrying out operations using both heavy machinery and hand tools. They found several more bodies on Tuesday, bringing the total fatalities to 57. So far, the 22 people reported missing would be the target of the search and rescue operation, according to head of the rehabilitation and reconstruction unit of disaster management and mitigation agency of West Sumatra Province Ilham Wahab.

The official said that the rescuers would focus on the estuaries of the rivers as several bodies were already found in the areas. On land, the focus would be the spots where the victims were suspected to be buried by the cold lava, he added.

He noted that experts would consider the option of relocating the residents during the reconstruction and rehabilitation projects.

Under the influence of El Nino, the rainy season in Indonesia lasted longer than usual this year, resulting in frequent disasters such as flash floods and landslides.

Fatalities climb to 57 with 22 missing in Indonesia's lava floods

Fatalities climb to 57 with 22 missing in Indonesia's lava floods

Fatalities climb to 57 with 22 missing in Indonesia's lava floods

Fatalities climb to 57 with 22 missing in Indonesia's lava floods

Fatalities climb to 57 with 22 missing in Indonesia's lava floods

Fatalities climb to 57 with 22 missing in Indonesia's lava floods

Next Article

China to keep promoting UNSC resolution on weapons non-proliferation: spokeswoman

2024-06-26 01:35 Last Updated At:02:17

China will continue to carry forward the implementation of United Nations Security Council (UNSC) Resolution 1540 that prevents the proliferation of nuclear, chemical and biological weapons, said Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Mao Ning on Tuesday.

Mao made the remarks at a press conference in Beijing when asked about the 4th Training Course of the 1540 Points of Contact in the Asia and Pacific Region which commenced in Beijing on Tuesday.

"This training course was jointly held by Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs, United Nations Security Council 1540 Committee and United Nations Office for Disarmament Affairs. Representatives from 27 Asia-Pacific countries and 14 international organizations and institutions participated in the course. Resolution 1540 requires Member States to enhance export controls and other measures, fulfill the international obligations of non-proliferation and prevent non-state actors from acquiring weapons of mass destruction; meanwhile it regulates that non-proliferation actions shall not damage Member States' legitimate right of peaceful use of science and technology," said Mao.

"This year marks the 20th anniversary of the adoption of Resolution 1540. The training course takes stock of the past and envisions the future. China will continue to advance the Global Security Initiative, enhance cooperation with United Nations and other parties to carry forward the implementation of Resolution 1540 and support Asia-Pacific countries in capacity building to establish a fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory international order of non-proliferation export control," she said.

China to keep promoting UNSC resolution on weapons non-proliferation: spokeswoman

China to keep promoting UNSC resolution on weapons non-proliferation: spokeswoman

Recommended Articles