SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea said Saturday that authorities found the remains of a South Korean drone during a search in the capital, Pyongyang, and that the drone proved that the South’s military was behind the alleged drone infiltrations over the city’s skies earlier in the month.
South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff in a statement described the North Korean claim as “unilateral” and “unworthy of responding.”
Click to Gallery
South Korean protesters stage a rally against flying of anti-North Korean propaganda leaflets into North Korea, in Seoul, South Korea, Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024. The banners read, "Opposition to South Korea-U.S. joint war exercise." (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon)
South Korean protesters stage a rally against flying of anti-North Korean propaganda leaflets into North Korea in Seoul, South Korea, Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024. The banners read, "Warmongering President Yoon Suk Yeol to step down." (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon)
This undated photo provided on Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024 by the North Korean government, shows what it says a South Korean drone at an undisclosed place in North Korea. Independent journalists were not given access to cover the event depicted in this image distributed by the North Korean government. The content of this image is as provided and cannot be independently verified. Korean language watermark on image as provided by source reads: "KCNA" which is the abbreviation for Korean Central News Agency. (Korean Central News Agency/Korea News Service via AP)
This photo provided by the North Korean government, shows what it says a South Korean drone found in Pyongyang, North Korea on Oct. 13, 2024. Independent journalists were not given access to cover the event depicted in this image distributed by the North Korean government. The content of this image is as provided and cannot be independently verified. Korean language watermark on image as provided by source reads: "KCNA" which is the abbreviation for Korean Central News Agency. (Korean Central News Agency/Korea News Service via AP)
South Korean reconnaissance drones are carried in a parade during the 76th Armed Forces Day ceremony in Seoul, South Korea, on Oct. 1, 2024. (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon)
The North’s official Korean Central News Agency released photos showing a seemingly damaged aircraft with wide, V-shaped wings and winglets. It said a joint investigation by North Korea’s military and state security agencies concluded that the aircraft, which it said was found on Oct. 13, was the same type of drone that appeared in a South Korean military parade earlier in October.
North Korea accused South Korea of flying drones over the night skies of Pyongyang three different times this month to drop anti-North Korean propaganda leaflets. It threatened to respond with force if such flights occur again.
The aircraft allegedly found in Pyongyang was likely one of the drones that were used to drop leaflets, North Korea’s Defense Ministry said, but further examinations were needed to verify that.
The ministry said that should South Korea deny that the aircraft was used to drop leaflets, that would only confess to a separate infiltration of North Korea’s airspace by the South’s military. If North Korea confirms another violation of its territorial ground, airspace and waters by the South’s military, that will be regarded as a “declaration of war and an immediate retaliatory attack will be launched,” the ministry added.
South Korea’s defense minister initially made a vague denial after the North's Oct. 11 accusation that the South sent drones over Pyongyang. The South’s military adjusted its response hours later, saying it couldn’t confirm whether or not the North’s claims were true.
Tensions on the Korean Peninsula are now at their worst in years as North Korean leader Kim Jong Un ramps up his weapons tests and threats, and expands military cooperation with Russia. South Korea says that the North dispatched troops to support Russia’s war against Ukraine.
The animosity has been exacerbated by Cold War-style psychological warfare campaigns between the Koreas in recent months.
Since May, North Korea has sent thousands of balloons carrying paper waste, plastic and other trash to drop on the South. South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said that authorities detected that North Korea had launched a new set of balloons toward the South on Saturday evening and urged citizens to be on the lookout for falling objects.
The South’s military has responded to the North Korean balloon campaigns by using loudspeakers at the border to broadcast propaganda and K-pop to North Korea. North Korea is extremely sensitive to any outside criticism of Kim’s authoritarian government and his family’s dynastic rule.
South Korean protesters stage a rally against flying of anti-North Korean propaganda leaflets into North Korea, in Seoul, South Korea, Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024. The banners read, "Opposition to South Korea-U.S. joint war exercise." (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon)
South Korean protesters stage a rally against flying of anti-North Korean propaganda leaflets into North Korea in Seoul, South Korea, Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024. The banners read, "Warmongering President Yoon Suk Yeol to step down." (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon)
This undated photo provided on Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024 by the North Korean government, shows what it says a South Korean drone at an undisclosed place in North Korea. Independent journalists were not given access to cover the event depicted in this image distributed by the North Korean government. The content of this image is as provided and cannot be independently verified. Korean language watermark on image as provided by source reads: "KCNA" which is the abbreviation for Korean Central News Agency. (Korean Central News Agency/Korea News Service via AP)
This photo provided by the North Korean government, shows what it says a South Korean drone found in Pyongyang, North Korea on Oct. 13, 2024. Independent journalists were not given access to cover the event depicted in this image distributed by the North Korean government. The content of this image is as provided and cannot be independently verified. Korean language watermark on image as provided by source reads: "KCNA" which is the abbreviation for Korean Central News Agency. (Korean Central News Agency/Korea News Service via AP)
South Korean reconnaissance drones are carried in a parade during the 76th Armed Forces Day ceremony in Seoul, South Korea, on Oct. 1, 2024. (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon)
MILAN (AP) — Norwegian cyclist Fredrik Dversnes claimed the biggest victory of his career as he won the 15th stage of the Giro d’Italia on Sunday, while Jonas Vingegaard remained in the overall lead heading into the final week.
Dversnes won from a four-man breakaway that escaped early on the flat 157-kilometer (98-mile) route that started in Voghera and ended with four laps of the finishing circuit in Milan.
The Uno-X Mobility rider edged out his fellow escapees by almost a bicycle length, with Mirco Maestri finishing second and Martin Marcellusi third.
It is the first Giro for Dversnes and his team.
“Super good help from the other guys in the breakaway … They were really, really strong today,” Dversnes said. "I knew I had good opportunities because I’m pretty good at going in breakaways, so this was my big shot.
“I’ve been joking this year that I will try to trick the peloton in one of these sprint stages, so I really wanted to do that and prove that, so super glad to make it. It's big. It’s a really big and incredible feeling.”
Vingegaard, who had seized control of the race on Saturday, finished safely in the peloton to maintain his overall advantage of 2:26 over Afonso Eulálio, with Felix Gall 24 seconds further back.
The race jury decided to neutralize Sunday's stage for the last lap after several riders — including Vingegaard — complained about the road surface and the placing of the barriers. The overall times were taken at the last passage under the finish arch, before the start of the last lap.
“Maybe today was not the most safe road, so to speak, but we tried to speak with the organization and they really listened to us,” Vingegaard said. “So I want to thank the organization as well for listening to what we had to say today.”
Monday sees the Giro’s third and final rest day before Tuesday’s brutal 16th stage. The 113-kilometer route from Bellinzona includes five classified climbs, including the top-category slog to the finish in Carì.
The Giro ends on May 31 in Rome.
The women’s Giro from May 30-June 7 will be defended by Italian rider Elisa Longo Borghini.
AP cycling: https://apnews.com/hub/cycling
Denmark's Jonas Vingegaard wears the pink jersey of the race overall leader as he stands on the podium after completing the 15th stage of the Giro d'Italia cycling race, from Voghera to Milan, Italy, Sunday, May 24, 2026. (Massimo Paolone/LaPresse via AP)
Norway's Fredrik Dversnes Lavik, left, celebrates winning the 15th stage of the Giro d'Italia cycling race, from Voghera to Milan, Italy, Sunday, May 24, 2026. (Marco Alpozzi/LaPresse via AP)
Norway's Fredrik Dversnes Lavik celebrates winning the 15th stage of the Giro d'Italia cycling race, from Voghera to Milan, Italy, Sunday, May 24, 2026. (Fabio Ferrari/LaPresse via AP)
Pink jersey Denmark's Jonas Vingegaard, center, pedals during Stage 15 of the Giro d'Italia cycling race, from Voghera to Milan, Italy, Sunday, May 24, 2026. (Fabio Ferrari/LaPresse via AP)
The pack of riders pedals during the 15th stage of the Giro d'Italia cycling race, from Voghera to Milan, Italy, Sunday, May 24, 2026. (Gian Mattia D'Alberto/LaPresse via AP)
Denmark's Jonas Vingegaard wearing the pink jersey of the race overall leader, waves to fans ahead of the 15th stage of the Giro d'Italia cycling race, from Voghera to Milan, Italy, Sunday, May 24, 2026. (Massimo Paolone/LaPresse via AP)