Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

PLA Navy fleet arrives in Hong Kong for public events

China

China

China

PLA Navy fleet arrives in Hong Kong for public events

2024-11-22 20:32 Last Updated At:21:37

A Chinese Liberation Army Navy fleet comprising the Hainan amphibious assault ship and the Changsha guided-missile destroyer arrived in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on Thursday for public events.

At around 10:00, the Changsha slowly approached the Ngong Shuen Chau Barracks in the region, and the ship was welcomed by a water salute performed by HKSAR government fireboats.

The crew of the Changsha lined up on the deck and waved to the welcoming people at the port. Meanwhile, the military band at the port played a welcome march.

Leaders from the SAR government, central government officials stationed in Hong Kong, officers of the PLA Southern Theater Command and the PLA Southern Theater Command Navy, and officials of the PLA Hong Kong garrison attended the welcome ceremony.

After the ceremony, John Lee Ka-chiu, chief executive of the HKSAR, and other guests were invited to board the Changsha, where the warship crew gave them a detailed introduction to the ship's performance, equipment and missions it has undertaken.

"In the next few days, I will be tasked with introducing the warships and their equipment to our compatriots in Hong Kong and Macao. I feel extremely excited and proud," said naval fleet member Chen Zhilong.

During the visit to Hong Kong, the Hainan and the Changsha will be open to Hong Kong and Macao residents, Hong Kong students, and grassroots officers and soldiers of the PLA garrisons stationed in Hong Kong and Macao.

A reception event was held on the deck of the Hainan on Thursday evening, and the fleet will also hold a series of activities such as open days, lectures on national defense, and cultural exchanges to visitors.

"We will welcome our compatriots from Hong Kong and Macao with high spirits and showcase the great achievements in national defense and military construction in the new era and the firm determination and strong ability of the People's Liberation Army to safeguard national sovereignty and security," said another naval fleet member Zhou Xiaochao. '

The public events will run till Nov 25.

PLA Navy fleet arrives in Hong Kong for public events

PLA Navy fleet arrives in Hong Kong for public events

Iran's Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) said on Saturday that 25 ships safely transited the Strait of Hormuz in the past 24 hours under its coordination, while the U.S. military claimed its ongoing naval blockade has forced more than 100 commercial vessels to change course over the past six weeks.

The IRGC Navy said in a statement that 25 vessels, including oil tankers, container ships and other commercial ships, crossed the strait after obtaining permission and under its security escort. Despite what Iran called "insecurity" caused by "U.S. terrorist army aggression," the IRGC Navy said it continues to exercise "smart control" over the strategic waterway.

Earlier this week, the IRGC reported that 92 vessels had crossed the strait between Tuesday and Friday, reiterating that all passages must be coordinated with and approved by its forces.

Meanwhile, U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) said on social media on the same day that its blockade, imposed on April 13, has reached the milestone of redirecting 100 commercial vessels over the past six weeks. According to CENTCOM, more than 15,000 U.S. personnel have been involved, with over 200 aircraft and warships supporting the mission, including two carrier strike groups. The blockade applies to vessels of all nations entering or departing Iranian ports on the Arabian Gulf and Gulf of Oman.

The dueling claims underscore the ongoing standoff over the strait, a vital chokepoint for global oil shipments. Iran tightened its control on February 28 after U.S.-Israeli strikes on Iranian territory, barring vessels affiliated with the two countries. The United States responded with the blockade, which it says has squeezed Iran economically.

Iran, US give divergent accounts of Hormuz traffic amid standoff

Iran, US give divergent accounts of Hormuz traffic amid standoff

Recommended Articles