Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

US airstrikes on civilian facilities trigger mass protests across Yemen

China

China

China

US airstrikes on civilian facilities trigger mass protests across Yemen

2025-04-19 09:45 Last Updated At:19:07

Mass gatherings were held Friday across Yemen to protest against recent frequent airstrikes by the United States, which have destroyed multiple civilian facilities and caused a large number of casualties.

On the Seventy Square in southern Sanaa, capital of Yemen, protesters raised the national flags of Yemen and Palestine while holding placards and shouting slogans to condemn the U.S. airstrikes on civilian facilities in Yemen and Israel's blockade of Gaza.

On Thursday, the United States struck the fuel port of Ras Isa in Yemen's Hodeidah Province, killing 74 people and wounding 171 others so far, according to Houthi-run health authorities.

Mohammed al-Bukhaiti, a member of Yemen's Houthi Political Bureau, said the airstrikes on civilian facilities exposed the real purpose of the United States, which has been claiming that its attacks focus only on Houthi group and the military targets.

"These weekly rallies send a strong signal to all parties that people in Yemen resolutely support the decision to help Gaza. No matter what the cost, we will not abandon Gaza. And the United States has learned these many times. The United States initially claimed its strikes were not aimed at civilians or the people in Yemen, but only at the Houthi group and the military targets. Then, the United States blatantly attacked a civilian port, which exposed its true intention," he said.

Tensions between the Houthi group and the U.S. military have escalated since Washington resumed airstrikes on Houthi targets in Yemen on March 15 to deter the group from attacking Israel and U.S. warships in regional waters.

The Houthis, who control vast areas of northern Yemen, have been attacking Israeli targets since November 2023 to show solidarity with Palestinians in Gaza.

US airstrikes on civilian facilities trigger mass protests across Yemen

US airstrikes on civilian facilities trigger mass protests across Yemen

US airstrikes on civilian facilities trigger mass protests across Yemen

US airstrikes on civilian facilities trigger mass protests across Yemen

US airstrikes on civilian facilities trigger mass protests across Yemen

US airstrikes on civilian facilities trigger mass protests across Yemen

China's Shenzhou-23 crewed spaceship blasted off from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in the country's northwest on Sunday, sending three astronauts to its orbiting space station.

The spaceship, atop a Long March-2F carrier rocket, lifted off from the launch site at 23:08 Beijing Time (15:08 GMT).

The crew members consist of mission commander Zhu Yangzhu, and fellow astronauts Zhang Zhiyuan and Lai Ka-ying, who is also the first astronaut from China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.

In another notable first, one of the crew members is set to undertake a year-long stay aboard the space station, double the usual duration of previous Shenzhou missions.

After entering orbit, the Shenzhou-23 spaceship will perform a fast automated rendezvous and docking with the radial port of the space station core module Tianhe, forming a combination of three modules and three spacecraft.

Shenzhou-23 marks the 40th flight of China's manned spaceflight program and the seventh manned flight mission since the Tiangong space station entered its application and development phase in late 2022.

China launches Shenzhou-23 manned spaceship

China launches Shenzhou-23 manned spaceship

Recommended Articles