Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Harvey Weinstein prosecutors say defense's jury misconduct claims are 'implausible'

News

Harvey Weinstein prosecutors say defense's jury misconduct claims are 'implausible'
News

News

Harvey Weinstein prosecutors say defense's jury misconduct claims are 'implausible'

2025-11-13 06:49 Last Updated At:11:19

NEW YORK (AP) — Prosecutors urged a judge on Wednesday to reject Harvey Weinstein ’s claims that his June sexual assault conviction was marred by threats and bullying among jurors.

The disgraced movie mogul’s lawyers submitted affidavits last month from two members of the jury who said they regretted voting to convict and only did so because other jurors bullied them during five contentious days of deliberations.

The Manhattan district attorney’s office said the claims were “inconsistent and implausible” and gave no legal basis to overturn his conviction.

One juror who alleged seeing “threats” and “intimidation” had earlier told the judge he only saw “playground stuff," prosecutors said. Immediately after the trial, the juror told reporters, “it’s not like a fight was going to break out. No, obviously not.”

Weinstein’s bid to overturn his first-degree criminal sex act conviction “utterly fails, on both the law and the facts, to meet the standard necessary to set aside the guilty verdict,” prosecutors Matthew Colangelo, Nicole Blumberg, Shannon Lucey and Becky Mangold wrote.

They cited a centuries-old rule that the U.S. Supreme Court said protects verdict finality and prevents jurors from being "harassed or annoyed by litigants seeking to challenge the verdict.”

Weinstein spokesperson Juda Engelmayer said Wednesday that the prosecution filing “avoids the core issue raised in Mr. Weinstein’s motion — that several jurors reported being pressured, intimidated, and even verbally attacked into changing their votes. This isn’t about second-guessing deliberations; it’s about the integrity of the process itself.”

Judge Curtis Farber said he'll rule on Dec. 22.

Prosecutors said they declined to interview any jurors before responding to the defense’s claims because doing so would “cause the very harms” the rule was meant to avoid.

Weinstein’s defense team, led by attorney Arthur Aidala, argued in court papers last month that the verdict was marred by “threats, intimidation, and extraneous bias,” and the judge mishandled juror complaints.

The two jurors said they felt overwhelmed and intimidated by others on the panel pressing to convict Weinstein of forcing oral sex on TV and film production assistant and producer Miriam Haley in 2006.

One juror said she was screamed at in the jury room and told, “we have to get rid of you.” The second juror said dissenters were grilled by other jurors and he would have acquitted Weinstein if voting was secret.

“I regret the verdict,” he said, adding that without the intimidation he believes there would have been a hung jury on the Haley charge.

Weinstein, 73, was acquitted on a second criminal sex act charge involving a different woman, Polish psychotherapist and former model Kaja Sokola. The judge declared a mistrial on the final charge, alleging Weinstein raped former actor Jessica Mann, after the jury foreperson declined to deliberate further.

It was Weinstein's second trial on some of the charges. His 2020 conviction, a watershed moment for the # MeToo movement, was overturned last year. In addition to seeking to overturn his June conviction, Weinstein’s lawyers are also fighting to avoid yet another retrial on the undecided count.

Weinstein denies all of the charges. He faces up to 25 years in prison on the first-degree criminal sex act conviction. The unresolved third-degree rape charge is punishable by up to four years — less than he already has served.

The Oscar-winning producer has been behind bars since his initial conviction in 2020, and was sentenced to prison in a separate California case, which he is appealing.

Some of the juror's new claims echoed conflicts that spilled into public view during deliberations.

One juror sought to be excused, saying another was being treated unfairly. The foreperson later reported pressure inside the jury room and said a juror threatened to “see me outside.”

Faber warned jurors that “tension and conflict” is normal, and cautioned them not to discuss the content or tenor of their deliberations, transcripts show.

When jurors came forward with concerns, Farber was strict about respecting the sanctity of deliberations and cautioned them not to discuss the content or tenor of jury room discussions, transcripts show. The two jurors said in affidavits that they did not believe he took their concerns seriously.

One juror said she paused before affirming the verdict “to try and indicate my discomfort in the verdict,” and later told the judge “the deliberations were unprofessional.”

FILE - Harvey Weinstein appears in state court in Manhattan to be sentenced on his sexual assault conviction, Aug. 13 2025, in New York. (Curtis Means/Pool Photo via AP, File)

FILE - Harvey Weinstein appears in state court in Manhattan to be sentenced on his sexual assault conviction, Aug. 13 2025, in New York. (Curtis Means/Pool Photo via AP, File)

ISTANBUL (AP) — A Turkish court on Thursday issued a ruling that effectively removed the head of the country’s main opposition party by annulling a 2023 congress that elected him.

The move deals a serious blow to the beleaguered Republican People’s Party, or CHP, as it struggles under waves of legal cases targeting its members and elected officials.

An appeals court in Turkey’s capital Ankara declared the CHP congress that picked Ozgur Ozel as chairman to be null, ordering that he should be replaced by his predecessor, Kemal Kilicdaroglu.

Last year, a lower court ruled against claims of irregularities and misconduct surrounding Ozel’s election but Thursday’s decision overturned the original verdict.

The ruling led to frantic meetings at the CHP’s Ankara headquarters, further threatening the opposition’s chances of unseating President Recep Tayyip Erdogan after more than two decades in office. Large crowds gathered outside the office block and police erected barriers.

The next presidential election is due in 2028 but Erdogan can call for an early vote. His main challenger, the CHP mayor of Istanbul Ekrem Imamoglu, has been imprisoned since March last year and is currently on trial on corruption charges.

The appeals court's decision suspends Ozel and members of the party’s executive board from their duties. They will be “provisionally” replaced by Kilicdaroglu and those who held office before the November 2023 congress.

In comments to broadcaster TV100, Kilicdaroglu called for party members to remain calm. “Our party is a very large party and it will solve its own problems internally,” he said. The 77-year-old was removed following a 13-year tenure as leader, during which the CHP failed to win any national elections.

Ozel, meanwhile, attempted to rally supporters.

“I am not promising you a path to power through a rose garden,” he posted on X following the ruling. “I am promising you the ability to endure suffering but never surrender. I am promising you honor, dignity, courage and struggle!”

The CHP is expected to challenge Thursday’s ruling in the Supreme Court in the coming days.

Justice Minister Akin Gurlek, who oversaw several cases against the CHP in his former role as Istanbul’s chief prosecutor, described the court’s ruling as one that “reinforces our citizens’ trust in democracy.”

Many observers have said that the legal cases against the CHP — mostly centered on corruption allegations — are politically motivated and aimed at neutralizing the party ahead of the next election. The government, however, insists that Turkey’s courts are impartial and act independently of political pressure.

Erdogan has ruled Turkey, first as prime minister and then as president, since 2003. His electoral record suffered a serious blow in 2019 when the CHP seized control of several major cities in local elections. In Istanbul, Imamoglu emerged as a popular and charismatic figure that many felt could successfully topple Erdogan.

FILE - Republican People's Party or (CHP) leader Ozgur Ozel gestures to party members during his speech during a CHP convention, in Ankara, April 6, 2025. (AP Photo/Ali Unal, File)

FILE - Republican People's Party or (CHP) leader Ozgur Ozel gestures to party members during his speech during a CHP convention, in Ankara, April 6, 2025. (AP Photo/Ali Unal, File)

FILE - Turkish CHP party leader and Nation Alliance's presidential candidate Kemal Kilicdaroglu, center, joins legislators elected to the Grand National Assembly of Turkey as they attend their first parliamentary session, in Ankara, Turkey, June 2, 2023. (AP Photo/Ali Unal, File)

FILE - Turkish CHP party leader and Nation Alliance's presidential candidate Kemal Kilicdaroglu, center, joins legislators elected to the Grand National Assembly of Turkey as they attend their first parliamentary session, in Ankara, Turkey, June 2, 2023. (AP Photo/Ali Unal, File)

Recommended Articles