Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Campbell's fires executive who was recorded saying company's products are for 'poor people'

Business

Campbell's fires executive who was recorded saying company's products are for 'poor people'
Business

Business

Campbell's fires executive who was recorded saying company's products are for 'poor people'

2025-11-27 06:28 Last Updated At:06:30

The Campbell’s Co. said Wednesday it has fired an executive who was recorded making racist comments and mocking the company’s products and customers.

Martin Bally, a vice president in Campbell’s information security department, was named in a lawsuit filed last week by Robert Garza, a former Campbell’s employee who said he was fired Jan. 30 after he reported Bally’s comments to a supervisor.

The lawsuit was filed in Michigan, where both Garza and Bally live. Campbell's is based in Camden, New Jersey.

In the lawsuit, Garza claimed he met with Bally in November 2024 to discuss his salary. During the meeting, which Garza allegedly recorded, Bally described Campbell’s as “highly process(ed) food” and said it was for “poor people.”

Garza claimed in the lawsuit that Bally made racist remarks about Indian workers, whom he called “idiots.” Garza said Bally also told him that he often went to work high after consuming marijuana edibles.

Campbell’s said Wednesday it first learned of Garza’s lawsuit last week. After listening to portions of the recording, Campbell’s said it believed the voice was Bally's. Bally was fired Tuesday.

“The comments were vulgar, offensive and false, and we apologize for the hurt they have caused,” the company said in a statement. “This behavior does not reflect our values and the culture of our company, and we will not tolerate that kind of language under any circumstances.”

Garza’s attorney didn’t respond when The Associated Press asked for a copy of the audio recording.

But according to Local 4 news in Detroit, which interviewed Garza and played a portion of the recording on air, Bally said Campbell’s products were unhealthy during his expletive-filled rant.

“Bioengineered meat. I don’t want to eat a piece of chicken that came from a 3D printer,” Bally said.

Campbell’s defended its chicken Wednesday, saying it comes from long-trusted U.S. suppliers, is raised without antibiotics and meets high quality standards.

“The comments heard on the recording about our food are not only inaccurate, they are patently absurd,” Campbell’s said.

Larry Kopp, the chairman and founder of The TASC Group, a strategic communications and public relations company, said Campbell's should have fired Bally and reached a settlement with Garza as soon as it learned of the incident.

“If they had settled they would not be in this mess," Kopp said. "Recordings like these are devastating and should never see the light of day.”

Garza is seeking monetary damages from Campbell's, Bally and from his former manager, J.D. Aupperle. Garza said he told Aupperle about the conversation with Bally shortly before he was fired.

Campbell's said Wednesday that Aupperle remains employed by the company.

FILE - Cans of Campbell's soup are seen in Washington on Jan. 8, 2014. (AP Photo/J. David Ake, File)

FILE - Cans of Campbell's soup are seen in Washington on Jan. 8, 2014. (AP Photo/J. David Ake, File)

GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) — Los Angeles Dodgers utility man Tommy Edman won't be ready for opening day following offseason surgery on his right ankle.

Manager Dave Roberts on Monday made official what was expected, saying Edman was taking swings and doing light jogging but that the versatile second baseman wouldn't be ready for the start of spring training workouts or the regular season.

Edman, who replaced a struggling Andy Pages in center field during the Dodgers' World Series victory against Toronto last year, nursed the ankle all season. The 30-year-old had surgery in November to repair a ligament and remove bone spurs.

“I had a month last year,” Edman said, referring to when his ankle was healthy. “Hopefully I have a full season this year.”

While Edman never wanted to rule out being ready when the two-time defending champions play Arizona at home on March 26, he knew it was a long shot.

“Opening Day was going to be a really aggressive goal, just in case it happened to be, like, we recover faster than we expected it to,” Edman told reporters at the team's spring training facility. “I think everything is based on past instances with this kind of surgery. I feel like I’m on schedule with that, and we’ll just kind of see how it goes with each step along the way.”

Edman has hit just .229 over two seasons with the Dodgers, but his presence gives Roberts options throughout the lineup. Even though he mostly plays second, Edman would be the first choice behind Pages in center and has filled in for Max Muncy at third base.

Kiké Hernández gives the Dodgers another solid utility player as long as Edman is out. Los Angeles probably would employ a platoon at second until Edman returns.

AP MLB: https://apnews.com/mlb

FILE - Los Angeles Dodgers' Tommy Edman runs to first base on a single during the eleventh inning in Game 4 of baseball's National League Division Series against the Philadelphia Phillies, Oct. 9, 2025, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill, File)

FILE - Los Angeles Dodgers' Tommy Edman runs to first base on a single during the eleventh inning in Game 4 of baseball's National League Division Series against the Philadelphia Phillies, Oct. 9, 2025, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill, File)

Recommended Articles