Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Hospital Authority Launches Phase II of Community Health Training Project with National Health Commission and Chow Tai Fook Foundation

HK

Hospital Authority Launches Phase II of Community Health Training Project with National Health Commission and Chow Tai Fook Foundation
HK

HK

Hospital Authority Launches Phase II of Community Health Training Project with National Health Commission and Chow Tai Fook Foundation

2026-01-13 19:29 Last Updated At:01-14 13:32

Hospital Authority signs Memorandum of Understanding to support community healthcare development on Mainland

The following is issued on behalf of the Hospital Authority:

The Hospital Authority (HA) today (January 13) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the National Health Commission (NHC) and the Chow Tai Fook Medical Foundation Limited (Chow Tai Fook Medical Foundation) to launch Phase II of the New Horizon in Community Health (the Training Project) to dovetail the development of community and primary care policies and strengthen the training of more healthcare professionals on the Mainland.

The MOU signing ceremony was witnessed by the Minister of the NHC, Mr Lei Haichao, and the HA Chairman, Mr Henry Fan. The five-year MOU was jointly signed by the Acting Director-General of the Office of Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan Affairs of the NHC, Mr Feng Yong; the Chairman of the Chow Tai Fook Medical Foundation, Mr Cheng Kar-Shing; and the HA Chief Executive, Dr Libby Lee.

Phase II of the TrainingProject will last for five years, with the goal of further training more primary healthcare staff on the Mainland, enhancing their clinical practice and primary healthcare management capabilities. The project will continue to adopt the management framework established in Phase I. The NHC will oversee the recruitment of trainees and provide overall co-ordination and guidance. The Foundation will provide approximately $10 million in funding support. The HA will be responsible for organising diverse trainings, including online and offline courses, site visits and mentorships in both places, and joint academic exchange conferences.

Mr Fan said, "The fruitful results of Phase I are very encouraging, and it is gratifying that we can continue with Phase II this year. The HA is honoured to continue participating in the Training Project, sharing Hong Kong's experience in family medicine training and faciliating professional exchanges between the two places to complement each other's strengths. The release of the Implementation Plan for Strengthening Primary Healthcare Services last year aims to further improve the primary healthcare system on the Mainland. The TrainingProject enables Hong Kong to contribute to the development of national public health."

Mr Cheng said, "The Foundation is dedicated to advancing medical education and talent development. We are delighted to partner with the NHC and the HA in launching Phase II of the TrainingProject. We aim to benefit more primary healthcare professionals, enhancing community healthcare services by continued resource inputs and professional exchanges. This will strengthen the national primary healthcare system and promote long-term collaboration between Hong Kong and the Mainland, creating a better future for community healthcare."

To dovetail with the national development of community and primary healthcare, the former Ministry of Health (now NHC), the HA and the Dr Cheng Yu Tung Foundation first signed an MOU in 2007 to collaborate on training healthcare professionals on the Mainland. Phase I of the TrainingProject was completed last year, successfully training over 1 500 primary healthcare professionals across 31 provinces, municipalities and regions on the Mainland. To continue the success of the project and after friendly consultation, the NHC, the Foundation and the HA will jointly launch Phase II of the project.

Hospital Authority signs Memorandum of Understanding to support community healthcare development on Mainland  Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

Hospital Authority signs Memorandum of Understanding to support community healthcare development on Mainland Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

Hong Kong Customs detects two dangerous drugs cases and seizes suspected drugs worth about $7.95 million

Hong Kong Customs detected two dangerous drugs cases in Tseung Kwan O and Hong Kong International Airport respectively yesterday (May 21) and today (May 22), and seized a total of about 21.8 kilograms of assorted drugs with a total estimated market value of about $7.95 million. Two men and one woman, aged between 38 and 49, were arrested.

In the first case, Customs officers intercepted a 48-year-old man and a 49-year-old woman in Tseung Kwan O during an anti-narcotics operation yesterday afternoon. About 3.8kg of suspected drugs, including ketamine, methamphetamine, etomidate capsules, psilocybin mushrooms, MDMA and a batch of suspected drug packaging paraphernalia were found in their residence in the same district. They were then arrested.

In the second case, a 38-year-old male passenger arrived in Hong Kong from Amsterdam, the Netherlands, today. During customs clearance, Customs officers found about 18kg of suspected ketamine inside his check-in suitcase and 33 sticks of duty-not-paid cigarette inside his carry-on baggage. The man was subsequently arrested.

The arrested man and woman in the first case have been jointly charged with one count of trafficking in a dangerous drug and one count of possession of apparatus fit and intended for the inhalation of a dangerous drug. The case will be brought up at the Kwun Tong Magistrates' Courts tomorrow (May 23), while an investigation is ongoing for the second case.

Customs will continue to step up enforcement against drug trafficking activities through intelligence analysis. The department also reminds members of the public to stay alert and not participate in drug trafficking activities for monetary return. They must not accept hiring or delegation from another party to carry controlled items into and out of Hong Kong. They are also reminded not to carry unknown items for other people.

Customs will continue to apply a risk assessment approach and focus on selecting passengers from high-risk regions for clearance to combat transnational drug trafficking activities.

Under the Dangerous Drugs Ordinance, trafficking in a dangerous drug is a serious offence. The maximum penalty upon conviction is a fine of $5 million and life imprisonment.

Under the Dutiable Commodities Ordinance, cigarettes are dutiable goods to which the DCO applies. Any person who imports, deals with, possesses, sells or buys illicit cigarettes commits an offence. The maximum penalty upon conviction is a fine of $2 million and imprisonment for seven years.

Members of the public may report any suspected drug trafficking activities to Customs' 24-hour hotline 182 8080 or its dedicated crime-reporting email account (crimereport@customs.gov.hk) or online form (eform.cefs.gov.hk/form/ced002).

Hong Kong Customs detects two dangerous drugs cases and seizes suspected drugs worth about $7.95 million  Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

Hong Kong Customs detects two dangerous drugs cases and seizes suspected drugs worth about $7.95 million Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

Hong Kong Customs detects two dangerous drugs cases and seizes suspected drugs worth about $7.95 million  Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

Hong Kong Customs detects two dangerous drugs cases and seizes suspected drugs worth about $7.95 million Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

Recommended Articles