Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

U.S. announces launch of phase 2 of Gaza peace plan

HotTV

HotTV

HotTV

U.S. announces launch of phase 2 of Gaza peace plan

2026-01-15 03:51 Last Updated At:12:33

U.S. President Donald Trump's administration on Wednesday announced the launch of the second phase of the Gaza peace plan, shifting the focus from ceasefire to demilitarization, technocratic governance and reconstruction.

"Today, on behalf of President Trump, we are announcing the launch of Phase Two of the President's 20-Point Plan to End the Gaza Conflict, moving from ceasefire to demilitarization, technocratic governance, and reconstruction," U.S. presidential special envoy Steve Witkoff posted on social media platform X.

"Phase Two establishes a transitional technocratic Palestinian administration in Gaza, the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG), and begins the full demilitarization and reconstruction of Gaza, primarily the disarmament of all unauthorized personnel," he said.

The announcement reiterated the U.S. side's expectation that Hamas would comply fully with its obligations, including the immediate return of the final deceased hostage. The envoy warned that failure to comply "will bring serious consequences."

Following the announcement, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said it will not affect Israel's demand that Hamas must make a full effort to return the last body of an Israeli hostage held in Gaza.

Egypt, Qatar and Türkiye announced on Wednesday the completion of forming a Palestinian technocratic committee to administer Gaza, according to a joint statement issued by the Egyptian Foreign Ministry.

The three mediators described the move as "an important development" toward enhancing stability and improving humanitarian conditions in the enclave, noting that the committee is headed by Ali Abdel Hamid Shaath, a veteran engineer and former deputy planning minister in the Palestinian Authority.

The mediators voiced hope that the formation of the committee would pave the way for the implementation of the second phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement, in line with the U.S.-proposed plan, and help to cement calm and prevent a return to escalation.

The announcement followed a meeting held earlier in the day in Cairo among Palestinian factions and political forces, which affirmed in a statement their full commitment to implementing the Gaza ceasefire agreement and called on Israel to halt its aggression and open border crossings.

A delegation of senior leaders from Hamas arrived in Cairo on Tuesday evening, headed by Khalil al-Hayya, the movement's leader in Gaza.

Hamas said in a statement that the delegation would hold talks with Egyptian officials on completing the implementation of the ceasefire agreement, accelerating the transition to its second phase, including the formation of an independent administrative committee to manage Gaza, and completing the withdrawal of Israeli forces from the enclave.

The Gaza ceasefire agreement continues to face challenges amid mutual accusations between Hamas and Israel of violations, with casualties still being reported since its entry into force.

Brokered by Egypt, Qatar, Türkiye, and the United States, an ongoing ceasefire between Israel and Hamas took effect on Oct. 10, 2025, following two years of conflict. However, Gaza's health authorities said Wednesday that at least 449 people have been killed and 1,246 injured since the ceasefire began.

Since Oct. 7, 2023, Israel's military campaign in Gaza has killed 71,439 Palestinians and wounded 171,324 others, while causing widespread destruction and worsening humanitarian conditions in the enclave, the authorities added.

U.S. announces launch of phase 2 of Gaza peace plan

U.S. announces launch of phase 2 of Gaza peace plan

China's Minister of Commerce Wang Wentao outlined the key priorities of the 32nd Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Ministers Responsible for Trade Meeting, which opened on Friday in Suzhou, East China's Jiangsu province.

In an interview with CGTN ahead of the two-day meeting, Wang said free trade, digital cooperation and green economy are high on the agenda of the meeting.

"The key areas include advancing regional economic integration and the Free Trade Area of the Asia-Pacific, supporting the World Trade Organization (WTO) in strengthening digital cooperation and developing green economy. At present, the international situation is marked by intertwined turbulence and chaos, with intensified geopolitical instability. The rise of unilateralism and protectionism poses serious challenges to the international economic and trade order, disrupting global and Asia-Pacific development. Against this backdrop, all parties have higher expectations for this trade ministers' meeting, hoping that it can build consensus and deliver outcomes," Wang said.

This year marks China's third time hosting the APEC meetings and the 35th anniversary of its membership.

By 2025, China had become the largest trading partner of 13 APEC economies. Trade between China and APEC economies reached 3.7 trillion U.S. dollars, accounting for 57.8 percent of China's total foreign trade.

China has signed 24 free trade agreements or economic and trade arrangements with 31 countries and regions, including 15 APEC economies. In recent years, China has also completed upgrades of free trade agreements with APEC economies such as Singapore and Peru.

The minister said that China has always been a firm supporter and an important contributor to APEC.

"We have actively shared our vast market and development opportunities with all parties. China's door to the world will only open wider and wider. Facing the common challenges, China will continue to fulfill its responsibilities as a major country, further deepen reform, expand high-standard opening-up, and continue to provide new opportunities for the Asia-Pacific region and the world with its new achievements in Chinese modernization," the minister said.

China's Commerce Minister outlines priorities for 32nd APEC trade ministers' meeting

China's Commerce Minister outlines priorities for 32nd APEC trade ministers' meeting

Recommended Articles