Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Ireland pinches shaky Six Nations win over Italy after second half fightback

Sport

Ireland pinches shaky Six Nations win over Italy after second half fightback
Sport

Sport

Ireland pinches shaky Six Nations win over Italy after second half fightback

2026-02-15 02:16 Last Updated At:02:20

DUBLIN (AP) — Ireland got relief from beating Italy 20-13 in the Six Nations on Saturday, coming from behind at halftime and grinding out an unconvincing result.

Coach Andy Farrell wanted his slumping side to muzzle the doubters and make a statement after being blown away by France 36-14 last week, Ireland’s worst Six Nations loss in 16 years.

More Images
Italy's Lorenzo Pani, right, is tackled by Ireland's Craig Casey, during a Six Nations rugby union match between Ireland and Italy in Dublin, Ireland, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Peter Morrison)

Italy's Lorenzo Pani, right, is tackled by Ireland's Craig Casey, during a Six Nations rugby union match between Ireland and Italy in Dublin, Ireland, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Peter Morrison)

Ireland's Robert Baloucoune, left, runs onto score a try despite Italy's Lorenzo Cannone's late defence during a Six Nations rugby union match between Ireland and Italy in Dublin, Ireland, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Peter Morrison)

Ireland's Robert Baloucoune, left, runs onto score a try despite Italy's Lorenzo Cannone's late defence during a Six Nations rugby union match between Ireland and Italy in Dublin, Ireland, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Peter Morrison)

Italy's Monty Ioane reacts after the end of the Six Nations rugby union match between Ireland and Italy in Dublin, Ireland, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Peter Morrison)

Italy's Monty Ioane reacts after the end of the Six Nations rugby union match between Ireland and Italy in Dublin, Ireland, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Peter Morrison)

Ireland's Robert Baloucoune, goes over the line to score a try during a Six Nations rugby union match between Ireland and Italy in Dublin, Ireland, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Peter Morrison)

Ireland's Robert Baloucoune, goes over the line to score a try during a Six Nations rugby union match between Ireland and Italy in Dublin, Ireland, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Peter Morrison)

Instead, Ireland was within inches of losing to Italy at home for the first time in the championship.

“Italy do not lie down like they have done in recent years,” Farrell said. “I am so unbelievably proud of the team. They showed a lot of character and that will stand us in good stead. We stood strong at the end and, after a spotty first half, I was a lot happier with the second half performance.”

Italy backed up the 18-15 opening win over Scotland by contributing daringly to a compelling match and was unfortunate. Italy had a try ruled out by a forward pass and another try missed by an unlucky bounce of the ball.

Way past 80 minutes, Italy's last attack was broken by an intercept by James Lowe, who took it to the Italy 22 and got a penalty. But instead of taking three points to rob Italy of a losing bonus point, Ireland went for a bonus-point fourth try and replacement flyhalf Jack Crowley kicked the ball dead, ending the match.

“It was a bit of a shank but that wouldn't be the overriding thought that I took from Jack’s game,” Farrell said. 'I thought he was outstanding when he came on."

Ireland's stilted performance won’t worry England before their clash at Twickenham next weekend, when Italy goes to title favorite France.

From the kickoff, Ireland showed the intent that Farrell wished he'd seen more of in Paris last week. The attack flowed with wingers Robert Baloucoune — playing his first test in more than three years — and Lowe prominent.

Italy's defense was equal to the task, though, and an Irish tap penalty was wasted when hooker Dan Sheehan was penalized for a high jump.

Ireland couldn't expose a gap until Hollie Davidson, the first woman to referee a Six Nations game, yellow-carded Italy winger Louis Lynagh for a deliberate knock-on. Center Stuart McCloskey offloaded for fullback Jamie Osborne to score untouched. The easy conversion attempt was badly missed by Sam Prendergast.

As much as Ireland owned the first 20 minutes, Italy dominated the second 20.

After Ireland scrumhalf Craig Casey took a yellow card and bloodied nose from a passive high tackle on Italy's Lorenzo Cannone, Italy kicked to the corner, mauled the lineout and hooker Giacomo Nicotera scored. Paolo Garbisi's sideline conversion gave them a 10-5 lead.

Italy tighthead Simone Ferrari had the edge on Ireland loosehead Jeremy Loughman and, near halftime, Italy's scrum shattered Ireland's. Italy waived the three points to gamble on seven. But the maul was stopped and the attack held up.

Still, Italy led at halftime in Dublin for the first time ever and was halfway to a first Six Nations win in the Irish capital.

That interval lead lasted less than three minutes in the new half. Ireland sent a kickable penalty into the left corner and Jack Conan used the lineout ball to burrow over. Prendergast missed the conversion attempt badly again.

Italy should have retaken the lead thanks to sublime back play. Fullback Jamie Osborne had to make a try-saving tackle on counterpart Lorenzo Pani, then a Lynagh try was canceled after center Tommaso Menoncello ruined his lovely break with a forward pass.

That was Ireland's cue to send on new halves Jamison Gibson-Park and Crowley. Their impact was immediate and decisive. Ireland's attack sped up and Baloucoune backed himself to beat two defenders to the tryline.

Crowley converted, added a penalty, and Ireland was 20-10 up and rampant.

But Italy rallied again, and the scrum produced the rare sight of lifting Irish and Lions tighthead Tadhg Furlong off his feet. Minutes from time, Menoncello couldn't fully grasp a Garbisi chip in front of the Ireland posts and Italy, beaten 36-0 in 2024, had to settle for its narrowest loss in Dublin in 18 years.

AP rugby: https://apnews.com/hub/rugby

Italy's Lorenzo Pani, right, is tackled by Ireland's Craig Casey, during a Six Nations rugby union match between Ireland and Italy in Dublin, Ireland, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Peter Morrison)

Italy's Lorenzo Pani, right, is tackled by Ireland's Craig Casey, during a Six Nations rugby union match between Ireland and Italy in Dublin, Ireland, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Peter Morrison)

Ireland's Robert Baloucoune, left, runs onto score a try despite Italy's Lorenzo Cannone's late defence during a Six Nations rugby union match between Ireland and Italy in Dublin, Ireland, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Peter Morrison)

Ireland's Robert Baloucoune, left, runs onto score a try despite Italy's Lorenzo Cannone's late defence during a Six Nations rugby union match between Ireland and Italy in Dublin, Ireland, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Peter Morrison)

Italy's Monty Ioane reacts after the end of the Six Nations rugby union match between Ireland and Italy in Dublin, Ireland, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Peter Morrison)

Italy's Monty Ioane reacts after the end of the Six Nations rugby union match between Ireland and Italy in Dublin, Ireland, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Peter Morrison)

Ireland's Robert Baloucoune, goes over the line to score a try during a Six Nations rugby union match between Ireland and Italy in Dublin, Ireland, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Peter Morrison)

Ireland's Robert Baloucoune, goes over the line to score a try during a Six Nations rugby union match between Ireland and Italy in Dublin, Ireland, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Peter Morrison)

HELSINGBORG, Sweden (AP) — NATO allies and defense officials expressed bewilderment Friday at U.S. President Donald Trump’s announcement that he would send 5,000 U.S. troops to Poland just weeks after ordering the same number of forces pulled out of Europe.

The apparent change of mind came after weeks of statements from Trump and his administration about reducing — not increasing — the U.S. military footprint in Europe. Trump's initial order set off a flurry of action among military commanders and left allies already doubtful about America's commitment to Europe's security to ponder what forces they might have to backfill on NATO's eastern flank with Russia and Ukraine.

Earlier this month, the Trump administration said it was reducing levels in Europe by about 5,000 troops, and U.S. officials confirmed about 4,000 service members were no longer rotating into Poland from Germany. The dispatch to Germany of U.S. personnel trained to fire long-range missiles was also halted.

But in a post on Truth Social on Thursday, Trump said he would now send "an additional 5,000 Troops to Poland,” citing his strong ties with Polish President Karol Nawrocki, whom Trump endorsed in elections last year.

“It is confusing indeed, and not always easy to navigate,” Swedish Foreign Minister Maria Malmer Stenergard told reporters Friday at a meeting she was hosting of her NATO counterparts, including U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio.

Ministers from the Netherlands and Norway were sanguine about Trump’s latest move, as was Latvian Foreign Minister Baiba Braže, who said allies knew the U.S. troop “posture was being reconsidered, and now there is no change of posture. For now.”

U.S. defense officials also expressed confusion. “We just spent the better part of two weeks reacting to the first announcement. We don’t know what this means either,” said one of two officials who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive military matters.

But Rubio said Washington’s allies understand that changes in the U.S. troop presence in Europe will come as the Trump administration reevaluates its force needs. “I think there’s a broad recognition that there are going to be eventually less U.S. troops in Europe than there has historically been for a variety of reasons,” he said.

The latest surprise came despite a U.S. pledge to coordinate troop deployments, including one from NATO’s top military officer, U.S. Lt. Gen. Alex Grynkewich, on Wednesday.

Trump's initial announcement that he would withdraw troops came as he fumed over remarks by German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, who said that the U.S. was being “humiliated” by the Iranian leadership and criticized what he called a lack of strategy in that war.

Trump told reporters that the U.S. would be cutting even more than 5,000 and also announced new tariffs on European cars. Germany is the continent’s biggest auto producer.

Rubio insisted that Trump’s decision “is not a punitive thing. It’s just something that’s ongoing.”

About 80,000 U.S. troops are stationed in Europe. The Pentagon is required to keep at least 76,000 troops and major equipment on the continent unless NATO allies are consulted and there is a determination that such a withdrawal is in U.S. interests.

The withdrawal of 5,000 troops might drop numbers below that limit.

But Trump's latest post suggests that troop numbers in Europe would not change. Polish Foreign Minister Radek Sikorski welcomed the decision to send more forces to his country, saying it ensures that “the presence of American troops in Poland will be maintained more or less at previous levels.”

NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte also welcomed the move. On Thursday, before Trump took to Truth Social again, Rutte had underlined that it was important for Europe to take care of its own security. “We have a process in place. This is normal business,” he told reporters.

At NATO headquarters in Brussels, meanwhile, U.S. officials briefed the allies on the Pentagon's aims for its commitments to the NATO Force Model, which involves contingency planning for Europe’s defense in the event of serious security concerns. It was widely expected that a further reduction of U.S. forces would be coming.

Asked whether any cuts were announced, Rutte said: “I’m afraid it’s much more complicated than that.” He said the procedure “is highly classified” and declined to give details.

Rubio played down concerns about a shift in U.S. force levels in Europe, saying: "Every country has to constantly reevaluate what their needs are, what their commitments are around the world, and how to properly structure that.”

Cook reported from Brussels. Associated Press writer Emma Burrows in London contributed.

United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks with journalists during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Helsingborg, Sweden, Friday, May 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson, Pool)

United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks with journalists during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Helsingborg, Sweden, Friday, May 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson, Pool)

United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio, front second left, and NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte, front left, speak with each other during a group photo at a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Helsingborg, Sweden, Friday, May 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson, Pool)

United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio, front second left, and NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte, front left, speak with each other during a group photo at a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Helsingborg, Sweden, Friday, May 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson, Pool)

United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio, left, and NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte look at each other as they deliver a statement during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Helsingborg, Sweden, Friday, May 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson, Pool)

United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio, left, and NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte look at each other as they deliver a statement during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Helsingborg, Sweden, Friday, May 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson, Pool)

Latvian Foreign Minister Baiba Braže speaks at the doorstep of the NATO foreign ministers' meeting at Sea U in Helsingborg, Sweden, Friday, May 22, 2026. (Johan Nilsson/TT News Agency via AP)

Latvian Foreign Minister Baiba Braže speaks at the doorstep of the NATO foreign ministers' meeting at Sea U in Helsingborg, Sweden, Friday, May 22, 2026. (Johan Nilsson/TT News Agency via AP)

United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio, left, and NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte deliver a statement during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Helsingborg, Sweden, Friday, May 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson, Pool)

United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio, left, and NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte deliver a statement during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Helsingborg, Sweden, Friday, May 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson, Pool)

NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte speaks to media at the NATO Foreign Ministers' meeting in Helsingborg, Sweden, Friday, May 22, 2026. (Johan Nilsson/TT News Agency via AP)

NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte speaks to media at the NATO Foreign Ministers' meeting in Helsingborg, Sweden, Friday, May 22, 2026. (Johan Nilsson/TT News Agency via AP)

Secretary of State Marco Rubio arrives with his wife Jeanette at Malmo Airport, Friday, May 22, 2026, in Malmo-Sturup, Sweden, ahead of a NATO foreign ministers meeting. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson, Pool)

Secretary of State Marco Rubio arrives with his wife Jeanette at Malmo Airport, Friday, May 22, 2026, in Malmo-Sturup, Sweden, ahead of a NATO foreign ministers meeting. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson, Pool)

NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte, second from left, shakes hands with Prime Minister of Sweden Ulf Kristersson, as he is greeted by King Carl Gustaf of Sweden, Queen Silvia of Sweden and Minister for Foreign Affairs of Sweden Maria Malmer Stenergard, right, before a dinner at Sofiero Castle in Helsingborg, Sweden, Thursday May 21 2026. (Johan Nilsson/TT News Agency via AP)

NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte, second from left, shakes hands with Prime Minister of Sweden Ulf Kristersson, as he is greeted by King Carl Gustaf of Sweden, Queen Silvia of Sweden and Minister for Foreign Affairs of Sweden Maria Malmer Stenergard, right, before a dinner at Sofiero Castle in Helsingborg, Sweden, Thursday May 21 2026. (Johan Nilsson/TT News Agency via AP)

Swedish Foreign Minister Maria Malmer Stenergard speaks to media at the NATO Foreign Ministers' meeting in Helsingborg, Sweden, Friday, May 22, 2026. (Johan Nilsson/TT News Agency via AP)

Swedish Foreign Minister Maria Malmer Stenergard speaks to media at the NATO Foreign Ministers' meeting in Helsingborg, Sweden, Friday, May 22, 2026. (Johan Nilsson/TT News Agency via AP)

Recommended Articles