Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Carolina Hurricanes reach 3-year extension with goaltender Brandon Bussi through 2028-29 season

Sport

Carolina Hurricanes reach 3-year extension with goaltender Brandon Bussi through 2028-29 season
Sport

Sport

Carolina Hurricanes reach 3-year extension with goaltender Brandon Bussi through 2028-29 season

2026-02-17 06:11 Last Updated At:06:20

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — The Carolina Hurricanes have signed goaltender Brandon Bussi to a three-year, $5.7 million extension, keeping the one-time waiver pickup in place through the 2028-29 season.

The Hurricanes announced the deal Monday, the latest chapter in Bussi's unlikely rise to prominence for one of the Eastern Conference's top contenders. The rookie is tied for third in the NHL with 23 wins and second with a 2.16 goals-against average. He was set to become an unrestricted free agent after the season.

“I think we have the potential to do very exciting things here over the next few years," Bussi said in a Zoom call with reporters. "It kinda felt like a no-brainer when this became an option to explore and kind of make it happen.”

Carolina acquired Bussi on waivers from two-time reigning Stanley Cup champion Florida in October, when the Hurricanes were sticking with veteran Frederik Andersen and 26-year-old Pyotr Kochetkov as their top two netminders. But that depth play — both Andersen and Kochetkov have had a history with injuries — has turned into a massive transaction.

Now he’s seized control of the crease for Carolina, potentially for the longer term, with the 36-year-old Andersen not being as effective and Kochetkov lost to season-ending surgery for a lingering lower-body injury by December.

Bussi made his NHL debut in a 5-1 win against San Jose on Oct. 14, earned his first shutout Nov. 30 against Calgary, matched a franchise record with nine straight wins and is 23-3-1 with two shutouts.

Before this season, the 27-year-old Bussi had never played in the NHL while appearing in 111 games in the American Hockey League after playing in college at Western Michigan.

“Before we brought him to Raleigh, Brandon had been successful at every level from the USHL to college to the AHL,” general manager Eric Tulsky said in a statement. "Given the opportunity at the NHL level this season, he’s proven to be a winner here too. We are thrilled that he will continue to provide a steady presence in the crease for this team into the future.”

Bussi's existing deal for this season is worth $775,000. Andersen is making $2.75 million this season and is due to become an unrestricted free agent after the season, while Kotchetkov is under contract for another season at $2 million.

The Hurricanes announced their charitable foundation would also make a $10,000 donation to the Autism Society of North Carolina in honor of the extension. Bussi's younger brother, Dylan, has autism and his goaltender mask is a tribute to his brother to raise autism awareness.

Carolina has won at least one postseason series for seven straight seasons, including trips to the Eastern Conference final in 2019, 2023 and last year during that span. The Hurricanes entered the Olympic break with 78 points and ranked third in points-percentage (.684) behind league-leading Colorado (83 points, .755) and Tampa Bay (78, .709).

The Hurricanes had earned points in their last 10 games before the break, winning eight.

“It's difficult to break into the league,” Bussi said. "Sometimes different opportunities pop up in different ways. Mine happened in a way that doesn't happen for a lot of people. But there's a lot of good hockey players out there and things happen for a reason. That's kind of been my motto, and I'm very fortunate that it gets to happen here for longer."

AP NHL: https://apnews.com/hub/nhl

FILE - Carolina Hurricanes goaltender Brandon Bussi watches the puck during the third period of an NHL hockey game against the New York Rangers in Raleigh, N.C., Dec. 29, 2025. (AP Photo/Karl DeBlaker, File)

FILE - Carolina Hurricanes goaltender Brandon Bussi watches the puck during the third period of an NHL hockey game against the New York Rangers in Raleigh, N.C., Dec. 29, 2025. (AP Photo/Karl DeBlaker, File)

PAWTUCKET, R.I. (AP) — Three people, including the suspect, were fatally shot during a Rhode Island youth hockey game Monday, authorities said.

Pawtucket Police Chief Tina Goncalves told reporters that three other victims are hospitalized in critical condition.

“It appears that this was a targeted event, that it may be a family dispute,” she said. Goncalves did not provide details about the suspect or the ages of those who were killed, though she said it appeared that both victims were adults.

Authorities were continuing to try to piece together what happened and speak with witnesses, she said.

The shooting happened at Dennis M. Lynch Arena in Pawtucket, a few miles outside Providence.

Outside the arena, tearful families and high school hockey players still in uniform could be seen hugging before they boarded a bus to leave the area. Roads surrounding the arena were shut down as a heavy police presence remained and helicopters flew overhead.

Pawtucket is nestled just north of Providence and right under the Massachusetts state border. A town of just under 80,000, Pawtucket had up until recently been known as the home to Hasbro’s headquarters.

This story has been corrected to show that the shooting occurred on Monday, not Tuesday.

Hockey fans react near the Lynch Arena in Pawtucket, R.I., after a shooting at the ice rink, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP Photo/Mark Stockwell)

Hockey fans react near the Lynch Arena in Pawtucket, R.I., after a shooting at the ice rink, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP Photo/Mark Stockwell)

Hockey parents congregate near the Lynch Arena in Pawtucket, R.I., after a shooting at the ice rink, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP Photo/Mark Stockwell)

Hockey parents congregate near the Lynch Arena in Pawtucket, R.I., after a shooting at the ice rink, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP Photo/Mark Stockwell)

Hockey parents and a player speak to a police officer outside of the Lynch Arena in Pawtucket, R.I., after a shooting at the ice rink, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP Photo/Mark Stockwell)

Hockey parents and a player speak to a police officer outside of the Lynch Arena in Pawtucket, R.I., after a shooting at the ice rink, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP Photo/Mark Stockwell)

A father hugs his son outside of the Lynch Arena in Pawtucket, R.I., after a shooting at the ice rink, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP Photo/Mark Stockwell)

A father hugs his son outside of the Lynch Arena in Pawtucket, R.I., after a shooting at the ice rink, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP Photo/Mark Stockwell)

A woman reacts near the Lynch Arena in Pawtucket, R.I., after a shooting at the ice rink, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP Photo/Mark Stockwell)

A woman reacts near the Lynch Arena in Pawtucket, R.I., after a shooting at the ice rink, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP Photo/Mark Stockwell)

Recommended Articles