SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — State legislators in New Mexico launched an investigation Tuesday into past activity at a secluded desert ranch where financier and sex offender Jeffrey Epstein once entertained guests and whether local authorities looked the other way.
A bipartisan, four-member panel of state House representatives is investigating allegations that the ranch may have facilitated sexual abuse and sex trafficking. New Mexico lawmakers also say they want to know why Epstein was not registered as a sex offender after pleading guilty in 2008 to soliciting prostitution from an underage girl and whether there was corruption among public officials.
Click to Gallery
San Rafael Ranch, which was previously owned by Jeffrey Epstein and called the Zorro Ranch, is seen, Jan. 31, 2026, near Stanley, N.M. (AP Photo/Savannah Peters)
A fence marks the boundary of the San Rafael Ranch, which was previously owned by Jeffrey Epstein and called the Zorro Ranch, on Jan. 31, 2026, near Stanley, N.M. (AP Photo/Savannah Peters)
A man exits the state Capitol in Santa Fe, N.M., where state lawmakers on Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026, launched an investigation into past activity at a secluded desert ranch where financier and sex offender Jeffrey Epstein once entertained guests, and whether local authorities looked the other way. (AP Photo/Morgan Lee)
Democratic state Rep. Andrea Romero of Santa Fe, N.M., talks about launching a bipartisan truth commission into activity at a secluded desert ranch where financier and sex offender Jeffrey Epstein once entertained guests, and whether local authorities looked the other way, on Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026, at the state Capitol in Santa Fe. (AP Photo/Morgan Lee)
The entrance of the San Rafael Ranch, which was previously owned by Jeffrey Epstein and called the Zorro Ranch, is seen, Jan. 31, 2026, near Stanley, N.M. (AP Photo/Savannah Peters)
Democratic state Rep. Marianna Anaya of Albuquerque, a member of the truth commission, urged people during a news conference Tuesday to come forward with information about any abuse at the ranch linked to Epstein and other people who may have it possible.
“That perpetrator could not act alone. They could not run a sex ring alone, they could not commit these types of financial crimes alone. So we know as a commission that enablers must also be held accountable, including the state itself, if needed,” said Anaya. "If you do want to share, we’ll be here and we will be operating with confidentiality.”
Revelations of ties to Epstein have led to the departure or ousting of multiple high-profile people in recent days.
Epstein purchased the sprawling Zorro Ranch in New Mexico in 1993 from former Democratic Gov. Bruce King and built a 26,700-square-foot (2,480-square-meter) hilltop mansion with a private runway.
The property was sold by Epstein’s estate in 2023 — with proceeds going toward creditors — to the family of Don Huffines, a Republican candidate in Texas for election to the office of state comptroller. In a social media post on X, Huffines said the property has been renamed San Rafael Ranch after a saint associated with healing and that his family plans to operate a Christian retreat there.
Huffines said any request by law enforcement for access would be met with immediate and full cooperation.
Epstein killed himself in a Manhattan jail while awaiting trial in 2019 on charges that he sexually abused and trafficked dozens of underage girls.
Truth commission chairwoman and state Rep. Andrea Romero of Santa Fe has said that several survivors of Epstein’s abuse have signaled that sex trafficking activity extended to the ranch, which is about 35 miles (56 kilometers) south of Santa Fe.
“We’ve heard years of allegations and rumors about Epstein’s activities here. But unfortunately, federal investigations have failed to put together an official record,” Romero said Tuesday. “This truth commission will finally fill in the gaps of what we need to know.”
Commission members also include retired FBI agent and Republican state Rep. William Hall of Aztec and former district attorney and Rep. Andrea Reeb of Clovis. State House legislators who were present voted unanimously on Monday to create the commission with subpoena power and a budget of over $2 million.
While Epstein never faced charges in New Mexico, the state attorney general’s office in 2019 confirmed that it was investigating and had interviewed possible victims who visited the ranch.
In 2023, New Mexico Attorney General Raúl Torrez ordered an investigation into financial businesses utilized by Epstein and their legal obligations, resulting in agreements with two banks that dedicate $17 million to the prevention of human trafficking, according to a spokesperson for Torrez's office.
San Rafael Ranch, which was previously owned by Jeffrey Epstein and called the Zorro Ranch, is seen, Jan. 31, 2026, near Stanley, N.M. (AP Photo/Savannah Peters)
A fence marks the boundary of the San Rafael Ranch, which was previously owned by Jeffrey Epstein and called the Zorro Ranch, on Jan. 31, 2026, near Stanley, N.M. (AP Photo/Savannah Peters)
A man exits the state Capitol in Santa Fe, N.M., where state lawmakers on Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026, launched an investigation into past activity at a secluded desert ranch where financier and sex offender Jeffrey Epstein once entertained guests, and whether local authorities looked the other way. (AP Photo/Morgan Lee)
Democratic state Rep. Andrea Romero of Santa Fe, N.M., talks about launching a bipartisan truth commission into activity at a secluded desert ranch where financier and sex offender Jeffrey Epstein once entertained guests, and whether local authorities looked the other way, on Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026, at the state Capitol in Santa Fe. (AP Photo/Morgan Lee)
The entrance of the San Rafael Ranch, which was previously owned by Jeffrey Epstein and called the Zorro Ranch, is seen, Jan. 31, 2026, near Stanley, N.M. (AP Photo/Savannah Peters)
The Champions League playoffs were overshadowed by claims of racism towards Real Madrid player Vinicius Junior in angry scenes after the Brazilian scored a brilliant winning goal against Benfica on Tuesday.
Play was halted when Vinicius claimed he had been racially insulted by an opponent during Madrid's 1-0 win.
“He’s been subjected to this a few times throughout his career and he’s handled it excellently. But for it to carry on and for it to happen tonight, it’s a disgrace to football,” Madrid defender Trent Alexander-Arnold told Amazon.
Paris Saint-Germain's title defense looked to be unraveling when 2-0 down in Monaco until Desire Doue came off the bench to inspire a 3-2 win.
Galatasaray beat Juventus 5-2 and Borussia Dortmund won 2-0 against Atalanta.
Vinicius had just whipped a wonderful goal into the top corner to give record 15-time champion Madrid the lead in the first leg of its playoff with Benfica at the Stadium of Light,
He and his teammates celebrated wildly, with the forward dancing in the corner.
What followed were ugly scenes that led to Vinicius informing referee Francois Letexier that a racist comment had been made. He appeared to point at Argentine player Gianluca Prestianni when complaining to the official, who crossed his arms to signal soccer's anti racism protocol.
Prestianni had earlier approached Vinicius while covering his mouth with his jersey.
Benfica coach Jose Mourinho, who also spoke to Vinicius, said his player denied the accusation of racism.
“They told me different things,” he said, adding that he wanted to be independent.
But in reference to previous occasions when Vinicius has been subjected to racist taunts, Mourinho said: “But there is something wrong because it happens in every stadium. ... The stadium where Vinicius played something happened. Always.”
Vinicius sat alone in the dugout before play resumed without any players being sent off as a result of his claims.
The defending champion is making hard work of its title defense.
Failure to advance directly to the round of 16 after the league phase of the competition left Luis Enrique's team having to negotiate an all-French playoff against Monaco. And despite PSG's dominance of the French league, it found itself 2-0 down after 18 minutes at Stade Louis-II.
United States forward Folarin Balogun headed Monaco in front inside a minute and then doubled the home team's lead.
After Vitinha failed to score from the penalty spot Luis Enrique sent for Doue in the 27th.
Within two minutes he'd pulled a goal back and when another of his efforts were saved shortly before halftime, Achraf Hakimi followed up with an equalizer.
Monaco was down to 10 men early in the second half when Aleksandr Golovin was sent off and Doue struck the winner with another clinical finish in the 67th.
“The way I played was not the most important (thing). The most important thing is the win. We did the job, so we are very happy. It is my job to help the team,” Doue said.
Galatasaray pushed Juventus to the brink of elimination in a wild comeback win in Istanbul.
Trailing 2-1 at halftime in the playoff match at RAMS Park, the Turkish giant powered back after the break. Noa Lang scored two of Galatasaray's four second-half goals to stun two-time European champion Juve.
Galatasaray takes a three-goal lead into the second leg in Turin next week with the chance to advance to the round of 16 for the first time since 2014.
Juventus responded well to going a goal down through Gabriel Sara after 15 minutes, with Teun Koopmeiners equalizing a minute later and adding another before halftime.
But Galatasaray took control in the second half half. Lang leveled four minutes after the restart, scoring from close range.
Davinson Sanchez gave the home team the lead on the hour and Juventus' challenge was made all the more difficult when Juan Cabal was sent off 22 minutes after coming on as a halftime substitute.
Lang got his second when capitalizing on sloppy play from Juventus' defense in its own box and Sacha Boey drove in from the angle in the 86th.
Dortmund is in control against Atalanta after goals from Serhou Guirassy and Maximilian Beier gave the Germans a 2-0 lead heading into next week's second leg in Italy.
AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer
Real Madrid's Vinicius Junior argues with Benfica's head coach José Mourinho after scoring the opening goal during a Champions League playoff soccer match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid in Lisbon, Portugal, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Rocha)
PSG's Desire Doue scores his side's opening goal during the first-leg of the Champions League playoff soccer match between Monaco and Paris Saint-Germain in Monaco, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Philippe Magoni)
Real Madrid's Vinicius Junior argues with referee François Letexier after scoring the opening goal during a Champions League playoff soccer match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid in Lisbon, Portugal, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Rocha)
PSG's Desire Doue, right, celebrates with PSG's Bradley Barcola after scoring his side's opening goal during the first-leg of the Champions League playoff soccer match between Monaco and Paris Saint-Germain in Monaco, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Philippe Magoni)
Juventus' head coach Igor Tudor instructs his players during a Champions league play-off first leg soccer match between Galatasaray and Juventus, in Istanbul, Turkey, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Khalil Hamra)
Juventus' Teun Koopmeiners, right, celebrates with teammates after scoring his side's first goal during a Champions league play-off first leg soccer match between Galatasaray and Juventus, in Istanbul, Turkey, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Khalil Hamra)
Galatasaray's Noa Lang celebrates after scoring his side's fourth goal during a Champions league play-off first leg soccer match between Galatasaray and Juventus, in Istanbul, Turkey, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Khalil Hamra)
Galatasaray's Noa Lang celebrates after scoring his side's fourth goal during a Champions league play-off first leg soccer match between Galatasaray and Juventus, in Istanbul, Turkey, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Khalil Hamra)
Galatasaray's Davinson Sanchez celebrates after scoring his side's third goal during a Champions league play-off first leg soccer match between Galatasaray and Juventus, in Istanbul, Turkey, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Khalil Hamra)
Real Madrid's Kylian Mbappe reacts during the Spanish La Liga soccer match between Valencia and Real Madrid in Valencia, Spain, Sunday, Feb. 8, 2026. (AP Photo/Francisco Macia)
Real Madrid's Vinicius Junior celebrates scoring his side's 2nd goal from the penalty spot during the Spanish La Liga soccer match between Real Madrid and Real Sociedad in Madrid, Spain, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Manu Fernandez)