MUNICH (AP) — Canada captain Alphonso Davies went off with a hamstring injury during Bayern Munich’s Bundesliga win over Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday.
The speedy left back covered his face with his jersey as he left the field early in the second half, raising fears over the extent of the injury just under four months before his country co-hosts the World Cup.
The club later said Davies suffered a muscle tear in his right hamstring and that he “will be sidelined for the time being.”
Davies had been able to walk off the field without assistance and Bayern coach Vincent Kompany was initially optimistic about the injury.
“It doesn't look too bad,” Kompany said immediately after Bayern's 3-2 win. “I don't know whether it will be two weeks or four weeks. But I have the feeling it won't be too long. These things happen when players are working their way back (from injury). We just have to hope that it's not too bad so he can really go for it again.”
Davies has only made eight appearances in the Bundesliga this season after missing nearly nine months with a serious knee injury sustained when playing for Canada in March. Davies tore a ligament and sustained other damage in his right knee.
Canada hosts the World Cup with the United States and Mexico from June 11 to July 19.
AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer
Bayern Munich's Alphonso Davies, left, and Frankfurt's Nnamdi Collins in action during the Bundesliga soccer match between Bayern Munich and Eintracht Frankfurt in Munich, Germany, Saturday Feb. 21, 2026. (Harry Langer/dpa via AP)
TRUCKEE, Calif. (AP) — A Black Hawk helicopter on Saturday flew to the snowy, mountainous region of the California’s Sierra Nevada where a fatal avalanche struck this week, amid an ongoing effort to make the area safe enough for crews to recover the bodies of the people killed.
Four people in brown cargo uniforms boarded the helicopter at the airport in Truckee, California, just before 10 a.m. Flight radar data showed the helicopter hovering around Frog Lake in the Castle Peak area, where the bodies of eight people were found on Tuesday, for just under 90 minutes before returning. One person who remained missing also is presumed dead.
Brutal weather and the threat of more avalanches have kept crews from safely recovering the bodies of the eight people killed and another still missing from Tuesday’s avalanche, which was roughly the size of a football field.
A temporary flight restriction over the site of the avalanche, which bars drones and all other unauthorized aircraft from flying in the area, was extended to 5 p.m. Sunday.
Officials said on Friday that they were using water to break up the snow in the area as avalanche mitigation work, a technique that is designed to intentionally release unstable snowpack to reduce the risk when rescue crews go in.
The mitigation and search efforts have included California Highway Patrol air operations, Nevada County Sheriff’s search and rescue, Tahoe Nordic search and rescue, the utility company Pacific Gas & Electric, the Sierra avalanche center and others.
The Nevada County Sheriff's department said in an email on Saturday that the “victim recovery effort remains ongoing," ahead of a 1 p.m. news conference.
A California Highway Patrol search and rescue crew flies over a forest as recovery efforts for a group of missing skiers continue Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Truckee, Calif. (AP Photo/Godofredo A. Vásquez)