CHICAGO (AP) — Jalen Duren had 26 points and 13 rebounds in his return from a suspension to help the Detroit Pistons take charge in the second half and roll to a 126-110 victory over the Chicago Bulls on Saturday night.
Cade Cunningham added 18 points, 13 assists and nine rebounds to narrowly miss his 15th career triple-double as the Pistons won their fifth straight game. Tobias Harris also had 18 points and Duncan Robinson added 17 for league-leading Detroit (42-13), which dealt Chicago its season-high eighth straight loss.
Duren helped establish Detroit’s dominance after sitting out two games for his role in a fight at Charlotte on Feb. 9. He got a technical foul in this one for casually dropping the ball on the face of Chicago’s Nick Richards in the third quarter while Richards was down on the floor.
Josh Giddey had 27 points on 10 for 16 shooting — including five 3-pointers — but the Bulls couldn't keep pace with the Pistons after trailing only 53-50 at the half. Matas Buzelis, Jalen Smith and Issac Okoro each added 15 as the Bulls committed 23 turnovers leading to 28 Detroit points.
Detroit outmuscled Chicago, scoring 68 points in the paint, compared to the Bulls 38. The Pistons had 26 on second chances and Chicago just 16.
The Bulls played without Jaden Ivey, who will be out two weeks with knee soreness after playing just four games with Chicago following a trade from Detroit. Anfernee Simons left the game with a left wrist injury
Bulls coach Billy Donovan was back on the bench after missing a game to attend his father’s funeral.
The Pistons led by no more than six points in a tight, scrappy first half. Detroit outscored Chicago 44-26 in third quarter and opened the lead to as much as 28.
Pistons: Host San Antonio on Monday
Bulls: Host New York Knicks on Sunday.
AP NBA: https://apnews.com/NBA
Detroit Pistons guard Cade Cunningham (2) drives to the basket for a layup during the first half of an NBA basketball game against the Chicago Bulls Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026, in Chicago. (AP Photo/Melissa Tamez)
Detroit Pistons center Jalen Duren (0) slam dunks during the first half of an NBA basketball game against the Chicago Bulls Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026, in Chicago. (AP Photo/Melissa Tamez)
Chicago Bulls forward Jalen Smith (25) ,right, fouls Detroit Pistons center Jalen Duren (0) during the first half of an NBA basketball game Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026, in Chicago. (AP Photo/Melissa Tamez)
TRUCKEE, Calif. (AP) — Crews recovered the bodies of nine backcountry skiers who were killed by an avalanche in California's Sierra Nevada, authorities said Saturday, concluding a harrowing operation that was hindered by intense snowfall.
A search team reached the bodies of eight victims and found one other who had been missing and presumed dead since Tuesday’s avalanche on Castle Peak near Lake Tahoe. The ninth person who was missing was found “relatively close” to the other victims, according to Nevada County Sheriff’s Lt. Dennis Hack, but was impossible to see due to whiteout conditions at that time.
At a news conference, Sheriff Shannon Moon praised the collective efforts of the numerous agencies that helped recover the bodies — from the California Highway Patrol to the National Guard to the Pacific Gas & Electric utility company — and 42 volunteers who helped on the last day of the operation.
“We are fortunate in this mountain community that we are very tight-knit, and our community shows up in times of tragedy,” Moon said.
The sheriff named for the first time the three guides from Blackbird Mountain Company who died: Andrew Alissandratos, 34, Nicole Choo, 42, and Michael Henry, 30.
According to biographies on the company's website, Alissandratos was originally from Tampa, Florida, and moved to Tahoe roughly a decade ago. He enjoyed a wide array of adventure activities, from backcountry exploration to rock climbing.
Henry moved to Colorado in 2016 and then to Truckee three years later. He was described as “laid back” and devoted to sharing his knowledge and love of the mountains with others.
There was no bio for Choo on the website.
“This was an enormous tragedy, and the saddest event our team has ever experienced,” Blackbird Mountain founder Zeb Blais said Wednesday in a statement.
“We are doing what we can to support the families who lost so much,” he said, “and the members of our team who lost treasured friends and colleagues.”
The six other fatal victims were women who were part of a close-knit group of friends who were experienced backcountry skiers and knew how to navigate the Sierra Nevada wilderness, their families said this week.
They were identified as Carrie Atkin, Liz Clabaugh, Danielle Keatley, Kate Morse, Caroline Sekar and Kate Vitt, all in their 40s. They lived in the San Francisco Bay Area, Idaho and the Lake Tahoe area.
“We are devastated beyond words,” the families said in a statement. “Our focus right now is supporting our children through this incredible tragedy and honoring the lives of these extraordinary women. They were all mothers, wives and friends, all of whom connected through the love of the outdoors.”
The families asked for privacy while they grieve and added that they “have many unanswered questions.”
Two of the friends got out alive and were rescued along with four others, including one guide, after Tuesday’s avalanche. Their names have not been released.
The avalanche struck on the last day of the 15 skiers’ three-day tour, when the group decided to end the trip early to avoid the impending snowstorm. Officials have said the path they took is a “normally traveled route” but declined to specify what that meant.
At around 11:30 a.m. Tuesday, the six survivors called for help, describing a sudden and terrifying slide that was approximately the length of a football field. In the aftermath they discovered the bodies of three fellow skiers, according to Hack.
Rescuers were not able to reach them until roughly six hours after the initial call for help, Hack said, and took two separate paths to arrive. They found five other bodies, leaving only one person unaccounted for.
But it was immediately clear to rescuers that it was too dangerous to extract the bodies at that time due to the heavy snowfall and threat of more avalanches. Those conditions persisted on Wednesday and Thursday.
Authorities used two California Highway Patrol helicopters, with the help of Pacific Gas & Electric Company, to break up the snow and intentionally release unstable snowpack to reduce the avalanche risk.
Crews were then able to recover five victims that evening before it got too dark to access the last three.
Rescuers used helicopters and ropes to hoist the last four bodies from the mountain the following morning, fighting through severe winds that forced them to make multiple trips. The bodies were then taken to snowcats — trucks that are outfitted to drive on snow — for further transport.
“We cannot say enough how tremendously sorry we are for the families that have been affected by this avalanche,” Moon said.
Initial reports indicated that at least two of the surviving skiers were not swept away by the avalanche, Hack said. The others were standing separately and relatively close together and were hit.
Hack declined to offer information about what might have set off the avalanche.
The terrain will be off-limits to visitors until mid-March, said Chris Feutrier, forest supervisor for the Tahoe National Forest. Officials intended to restore public access once the investigation is complete.
“This is the public’s land, and they love to recreate on it,” Feutrier said. “The Forest Service doesn’t close public land for every hazard or every obstacle. We trust the American people to use their best judgment when recreating.”
Riddle reported from Montgomery, Alabama.
Emergency responders unload equipment from a truck at Truckee Airport, as efforts continue to recover the bodies of skiers who died during an avalanche, in Truckee, Calif., Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (Stephen Lam/San Francisco Chronicle via AP)
U.S. Army soldiers exit a Black Hawk at the Truckee Tahoe Airport in Truckee, Calif., Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026, after aiding in recovery efforts for a group of skiers who went missing during a deadly avalanche. (AP Photo/Godofredo A. Vásquez)
A Tahoe Nordic Search and Rescue Team vehicle is seen outside Truckee Airport, as the effort continues to recover the bodies of skiers who died during an avalanche, in Truckee, Calif., Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (Stephen Lam/San Francisco Chronicle via AP)
A U.S. Army Blackhawk helicopter lifts off on a mission to recover skiers who died during an avalanche, in Truckee, Calif., Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (Stephen Lam/San Francisco Chronicle via AP)
A U.S. Army Blackhawk helicopter flies toward the Castle Peak area as recovery efforts for a group of missing skiers continue in Truckee, Calif., Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Godofredo A. Vásquez)
A member of the U.S. Army and a member of the California Highway Patrol speak on the runway at the Truckee Tahoe Airport as recovery efforts for a group of missing skiers continue in Truckee, Calif., Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Godofredo A. Vásquez)
A U.S. Army Blackhawk helicopter takes off from the Truckee Tahoe Airport as recovery efforts for a group of missing skiers continue, continue in Truckee, Calif., Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Godofredo A. Vásquez)
A California Highway Patrol search and rescue crew flies over a forest as recovery efforts for a group of missing skiers continue Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Truckee, Calif. (AP Photo/Godofredo A. Vásquez)