MEXICO CITY (AP) — The Diving World Cup scheduled in Mexico next week was canceled due to safety concerns on Thursday.
The meet was to take place from March 5-8 in Zapopan, near Guadalajara in the state of Jalisco, where there has been a surge in violence since Sunday following the capture and death of the leader of the Cartel Jalisco Nueva Generación (CJNG), Nemesio Oseguera.
“A thorough risk assessment of the situation included consideration of travel restrictions and advice given by a number of international governments regarding travel to Mexico at the current time,” World Aquatics said in a statement. “The safety and participation of all athletes remain a fundamental priority for World Aquatics.”
Mexican sports officials were yet to comment on the cancellation.
Cartel members have burned cars and blocked roads in nearly a dozen Mexican states and authorities report that at least 70 people have died. The CJNG is considered the most powerful and violent cartel in Mexico and it is centered in Jalisco state.
Even though Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum has said things are getting back to normal, in Guadalajara there was still fear among its citizens.
Four high-level soccer matches were postponed last Sunday, including one in the central city of Queretaro, where Mexico defeated Iceland 4-0 on Wednesday in a friendly. Top-tier team Atlas held workouts through Zoom.
On Wednesday, four softballers from the Guadalajara-based Jalisco Charros of the Women's Professional League asked to be released from the team for “personal reasons.” They were American Nicola Simpson, Canadians Natalie Wildman and Janet Lung and Dutch player Eva Voortman.
AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports
A National Guard patrols a highway near Aguililla, Mexico, Tuesday, Feb. 24, 2026, after the Mexican army killed Jalisco New Generation Cartel leader Nemesio Oseguera Cervantes, known as "El Mencho." (AP Photo/Armando Solis)
CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) — The U.S. military conducted a rapid response exercise involving Marines and military aircraft in Venezuela’s capital Saturday, over four months after the ouster of then-President Nicolás Maduro.
Two Marine Corps Osprey aircraft, which have characteristics of both a helicopter and a fixed-wing airplane, flew over the recently reopened U.S. Embassy in Caracas. They landed in the parking lot with the downdraft blowing tree branches. Forces then descended from the aircraft.
“Ensuring the military’s rapid response capability is a key component of mission readiness, both here in Venezuela and around the world,” the embassy said on Instagram.
Venezuela’s government had announced the drill earlier this week. Foreign Minister Yván Gil said the U.S. would conduct the exercise to prepare “in the event of medical emergencies or catastrophic emergencies.”
The drill comes almost two months after the U.S. formally reopened its embassy in Caracas. The reopening followed the restoration of full diplomatic relations with the South American country after Maduro 's ouster in early January.
Some Caracas residents Saturday gathered near the embassy to watch the aircraft, while a few dozen others gathered elsewhere in the city to protest the exercise. Protesters held a Venezuelan flag with the message “No to the Yankee drill” written over it.
U.S. military aircraft last flew over Caracas on Jan. 3, when elite forces rappelled down from helicopters and captured Maduro and his wife. Both were taken to New York to face drug trafficking charges. They have pleaded not guilty.
U.S. Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)
U.S. Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)
U.S. Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)
A soldier looks down from a military aircraft as the U.S. Embassy holds an emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)
U.S. Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)