Thirteen years after nearly dying when she was hit by a drunken driver, German golfer Leonie Harm won her first professional title on the Ladies European Tour — on home soil, too.
Harm birdied her last two holes to win the German Masters on Sunday for a belated golfing breakthrough that seemed destined not to happen in 2013 when she went for an early-morning run before school.
As she crossed the street near her home, Harm — aged 15 at the time and a highly rated junior in European golf — was hit by a car being driven at 45 miles per hour by a woman who had been drinking alcohol.
Harm said she suffered collapsed lungs, a skull fracture and had hematomas in her brain, while she also broke her ribs, hip and ankle and sustained a damaged left ear. She was put in a medically induced coma, with doctors unsure if she’d be able to walk again.
It’s why Harm spoke after her maiden win about showing “resilience” in the tough times in her life, which included losing her mother to cancer soon after starting to study biochemistry at the University of Houston and then nearly quitting professional golf at the end of 2024.
“I believe right now I’m in a good spot mentally,” Harm told the LET, “and for it to then be paired with success in golf is such a great feeling because I didn’t have to be miserable. I could’ve been happy this whole time and it would have worked with a lot of the times where you get impatient and to be more forgiving to yourself.
“A good takeaway there is to be your own best friend eventually and hopefully then be successful in working with yourself rather than against it, which I’ve done for probably most of my life.”
The 28-year-old Harm, who went into the German Masters ranked No. 250 in the world, was especially happy to have won her first title in an event in her home country.
“So many people came out to support,” she said, “and that just means a lot.”
AP golf: https://apnews.com/hub/golf
Leonie Harm, right, attends the German Masters golf tournament on the Ladies European Tour in Winsen Germany, Saturday, May 16, 2026. (Marc Moeller/dpa via AP)
KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — Russia targeted eight regions of Ukraine in its latest nighttime drone and missile barrage, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Monday, with local authorities reporting that the strikes wounded more than two dozen civilians, including three children.
Russian forces fired 524 attack drones and 22 ballistic and cruise missiles, Zelenskyy said. The city of Dnipro and the surrounding central region of Ukraine bore the brunt of the attack, officials said.
The barrage continued a recent spiral of long-range strikes that have grown in scale following a May 9-11 ceasefire that U.S. President Donald Trump said he asked Zelenskyy and Russian President Vladimir Putin to observe but which had little impact. There is no sign a peace deal is taking shape despite U.S. diplomatic efforts to end Russia's invasion.
Russia hammered Ukraine over several days last week, flattening a Kyiv apartment building where 24 people died.
One of Ukraine’s largest drone strikes on Russia killed at least four people, including three near Moscow, and wounded a dozen others, authorities said Sunday.
In more than four years of war, Ukraine has built up its own long-range capabilities. It has been hitting oil facilities that represent a vital part of the Russian economy, as well as other targets deep inside Russia, making the Russian public take notice. That has increased the pressure on Putin, whose army is struggling to make progress on the battlefield and who claimed earlier this month, without providing evidence, that the war is approaching its end.
On Sunday, the Russian Defense Ministry said that more than 1,000 Ukrainian drones had been shot down or jammed in the previous 24 hours, with around 80 on their way to Moscow.
In another significant enhancement of Ukraine’s long-range arsenal, Defense Minister Mykhailo Fedorov said Monday that the country has developed its first glide bomb — a powerful weapon that has regularly been deployed to devastating effect by Russia.
The Ukrainian version carries a 250-kilogram (550-pound) warhead and is designed to strike fortifications, command posts and other targets dozens of kilometers (miles) behind the front line, he said. Ukrainian pilots are currently training with the weapon under combat conditions.
Zelenskyy claims a significant shift is taking place.
“Our long-range capabilities are significantly changing the situation — and, more broadly, the world’s perception of Russia’s war,” Zelenskyy said on X late Sunday. “Many partners are now signaling that they see what is happening and how everything has changed — both in attitudes toward this war and in the reachability of Russian targets on Russian territory.”
At the same time, Russia’s aerial onslaughts are stretching Ukraine’s air defenses.
The Defense Ministry in Moscow said Monday it had dealt Ukraine a massive blow overnight with precision ground- and sea-based missiles and drones, striking weapons factories, oil and energy facilities, as well as transport and port infrastructure used by the Ukrainian armed forces. It said the goal of the strike had been achieved and all the designated targets had been hit.
Putin is due to meet with Chinese leader Xi Jinping in Beijing this week. Cooperation between the two countries has deepened in recent years as many Western countries have sought to isolate the Russian leader, with China growing to become Russia's main trading partner.
In the meantime, Ukraine’s navy claimed that a Russian drone struck a Chinese-owned cargo ship in the Black Sea near Odesa on Monday.
The drone hit the dry cargo vessel KSL Deyang, which was sailing under a Marshall Islands flag, the Ukrainian Navy said in a Telegram post. The ship’s owner is based in China, and the crew consists of Chinese nationals, the navy said. There was no immediate word on casualties or the extent of damage to the vessel.
In other developments Monday:
The bail for Andriy Yermak, Zelenskyy’s former chief of staff, has been paid in full, Ukraine’s High Anti-Corruption Court said Monday, according to Ukrainian media. The court last week set bail for Yermak at 140 million hryvnias (roughly $3.2 million)
Yermak was named by two Ukrainian anti-corruption watchdogs as a suspect in a major graft probe. The move was a step short of formally charging Yermak, who resigned in November.
Investigators say Zelenskyy is not under suspicion in the case.
Hatton reported from Lisbon, Portugal.
Follow the AP’s coverage of the war in Ukraine at https://apnews.com/hub/russia-ukraine
In this photo provided by the Ukrainian Emergency Services on Monday, May 18, 2026, a rescue worker puts out a fire of a residential building damaged after a Russian strike on Dnipro, Ukraine. (Ukrainian Emergency Service via AP)
In this photo provided by the Ukrainian Emergency Services on Monday, May 18, 2026, a residential building is seen damaged after a Russian strike on Dnipro, Ukraine. (Ukrainian Emergency Service via AP)