Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Property Owner Fined $76,900 for Ignoring Building Removal Order in Fanling Court Case

HK

Property Owner Fined $76,900 for Ignoring Building Removal Order in Fanling Court Case
HK

HK

Property Owner Fined $76,900 for Ignoring Building Removal Order in Fanling Court Case

2026-05-21 16:00 Last Updated At:05-22 11:16

Property owner fined nearly $80,000 for not complying with removal order

An owner was convicted and fined $76,900 in total, of which $26,900 was the fine for the number of days that the offence continued, at the Fanling Magistrates' Courts on Tuesday (May 19) for failing to comply with a removal order issued under the Buildings Ordinance (BO) (Cap. 123).

The Fanling Magistrates' Courts, Fanling Law Courts Building

The Fanling Magistrates' Courts, Fanling Law Courts Building

The case involved an unauthorised structure with an area of about 19 square metres on the roof of a village house on a lot at D.D. 218, Tai Po. Since the Lands Department would not issue a certificate of exemption for the unauthorised building works (UBWs) and the UBWs were carried out without prior approval and consent from the Buildings Department (BD), a removal order was served on the owner under section 24(1) of the BO.

Failing to comply with the removal order, the owner had been prosecuted by the BD and was fined a total of $11,630 upon conviction by the court. As the owner persisted in not complying with the removal order, he was prosecuted for the second time.

A spokesman for the BD said today (May 21), "UBWs may lead to serious consequences. Owners must comply with removal orders without delay. The BD will continue to take stringent enforcement action and instigate prosecutions against owners again if they persist in not complying with removal orders, so as to ensure building and public safety."

Failure to comply with a removal order without reasonable excuse is a serious offence under the BO. The maximum penalty upon conviction is a fine of $200,000 and one year's imprisonment, and a further fine of up to $20,000 for each day that the offence continues.

Source: AI-found images

Source: AI-found images

ExCo Non-official Members congratulate successful launch of manned Shenzhou-23 spacecraft

The following is issued on behalf of the Executive Council Secretariat:

Non-official Members of the Executive Council (ExCo) today (May 24) warmly congratulate the successful launch of the Shenzhou-23 manned spaceship. They extend their highest respect to all crew members, including Dr Lai Ka-ying, the first payload expert from the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR).

The Convenor of ExCo Non-official Members, Mrs Regina Ip, said, "This year marks the beginning of the National 15th Five-Year Plan. This mission is the first manned spaceflight during the 15th Five-Year Plan period and the first time a Hong Kong expert has participated, which is a truly momentous occasion. I extend my heartfelt gratitude to the country for providing Hong Kong's innovation and technology talent with this invaluable opportunity to take part in the country's aerospace endeavours. Dr Lai has successfully undergone the rigorous selection and training process to become one of the country's fourth batch of astronauts, and China's fourth female astronaut to reach space, contributing Hong Kong's strength to the national aerospace endeavours. She has exemplified the Lion Rock spirit of rising to challenges with resilience and perseverance. Her courage and determination are truly admirable, and all Hong Kong citizens are immensely inspired and proud of her. The understanding and support of her family are also essential for her to participate in this mission with resolution. I am deeply grateful for their support and commitment.

"The HKSAR Government is actively developing Hong Kong into an international innovation and technology centre and supporting promising research projects through various funding schemes. As an example, the Multi-Spectral Imaging Carbon Observatory (MUSICO) camera, developed under a project led by the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and funded by the Government's Innovation and Technology Support Programme Special Call on Aerospace Technology, has successfully arrived at China's Tiangong Space Station, becoming Hong Kong's first scientific payload aboard the station. This fully demonstrates Hong Kong's innovation and technology edge and talent advantages."

Non-official Members of the Executive Council expressed their heartfelt gratitude to the country for its high recognition of Hong Kong's innovation and technology talent, development and achievements, as well as its profound emphasis, care and support for Hong Kong's scientific and technological development. They firmly believe that the HKSAR Government will seize this historic moment to nurture more outstanding innovation and technology talent for the country and Hong Kong, and better integrate into and serve the country's overall development.

Source: AI-found images

Source: AI-found images

Recommended Articles