Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Tokyo rally protests constitutional revision, military expansion

China

China

China

Tokyo rally protests constitutional revision, military expansion

2026-05-22 16:11 Last Updated At:16:57

Japanese citizens rallied in front of the Second Members' Office Building of the House of Representatives in Tokyo on Thursday to protest the government's push for constitutional revision and military expansion.

The Japanese government has accelerated the implementation of several policies that are seen as breaking the framework of its pacifist constitution, which has drawn concern and dissatisfaction from some Japanese people.

"I am really angry. The time given the Diet for deliberations is very short. Issues concerning the country's fundamental interests, like the Constitution, should be fully discussed. But that is completely not the case now. Instead, there is a trend of making decisions directly through cabinet meetings. I am very worried about it. I even feel frightened," said one protester.

"The so-called 'national intelligence bureau' and the 'anti-spy law' coupled with it are essentially designed to crack down on anti-war movements. So is 'emergency clause' -- it is a bill aimed at hollowing out the pacifist constitution and paving the way for war. I think it must be resolutely stopped," said another rally participant.

People are also upset by Takaichi's administration for overlooking livelihood issues.

"People's daily life is already becoming increasingly hard, yet they simply ignore it. And they are securing budgets to prepare for war and even trying to change the constitutional framework. They are doing something utterly outrageous," said still another protester.

Tokyo rally protests constitutional revision, military expansion

Tokyo rally protests constitutional revision, military expansion

The delegation of the Houthis returned to Sanaa on Thursday after signing an agreement with Yemen's government to exchange detainees. During their talks in the Jordanian capital of Amman, the two sides signed the agreement to exchange around 1,750 detainees from both sides following months of UN-sponsored negotiations.

The agreement includes the release of detainees linked to the Yemeni government, the Houthis, allied military formations, and members of the Saudi Arabia-led coalition, according to statements issued by the two sides.

This marks the largest exchange of detainees between the two sides since the conflict in Yemen broke out in 2014.

The swap is expected to take place on July 10 this year.

"Before the swap, there are still some procedures that we will announce at an appropriate time, such as confirming whether there are any detainees left in both sides' prisons. In addition, we also need to prepare for welcoming the released detainees back," said Abdul Qader al-Murtada, head of the Houthis' prisoner affairs committee.

A UN-mediated truce between the Yemeni government and the Houthis, brokered in April 2022, lasted six months before expiring. However, both sides have largely maintained a "de facto ceasefire" since then.

The last major UN-mediated detainees swap between the two sides took place in 2023, with around 900 detainees released.

Houthis delegation returns to Sanaa for prisoner swap

Houthis delegation returns to Sanaa for prisoner swap

Recommended Articles