Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Pakistani army chief's meetings with Iran make encouraging progress to promote de-escalation

China

China

China

Pakistani army chief's meetings with Iran make encouraging progress to promote de-escalation

2026-05-24 12:47 Last Updated At:13:07

Discussions between Pakistani Army Chief Asim Munir and the Iranian leadership during Munir's official visit to Iran over the past 24 hours have resulted in encouraging progress towards a final understanding, the Pakistani military said in a statement on Saturday.

Munir has concluded a short but "highly productive" visit to Iran, during which he held high-level meetings with Iranian leadership, the military's media wing Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said in a statement.

The meetings were part of ongoing mediation efforts aimed at promoting de-escalation and constructive engagement amid regional tensions, the statement added.

Munir met the Iranian president, parliament speaker, foreign minister and interior minister during the visit, the statement added.

The discussions focused on expediting the consultative process aimed at supporting regional peace and stability and reaching a conclusive agreement, the military statement said.

The Iranian leadership appreciated Pakistan's role in facilitating dialogue and promoting a peaceful settlement of regional issues, according to the ISPR.

Iranian media reported Saturday that Munir held separate meetings with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, and Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi.

According to a presidency statement, Pezeshkian said that his country seeks to safeguard national interests and remains highly cautious in negotiations with the United States.

Pezeshkian cited Washington's repeated breach of commitments, attacks on Iran amid talks, and targeted killings of its officials as the basis for widespread public mistrust.

Under such circumstances, Iran has pursued negotiations relying on its "brotherly relations" with friendly countries, including Pakistan, "but our main goal is to solely safeguard the Iranian nation's interests through appropriate solutions," Pezeshkian said. War has never been in anyone's interest and will only bring losses to the region and the world, he added.

According to Iran's state television, Ghalibaf and Munir discussed the latest developments in ongoing negotiations during their meeting on Saturday.

The parliamentary speaker emphasized that Iran would not compromise on matters concerning national sovereignty and the rights of its people. He added that Iran's armed forces have undergone reorganization and restructuring during the ceasefire period, warning that any U.S. attempt to reignite conflict would face even heavier consequences.

Araghchi and Munir held two rounds of talks, focusing on measures to prevent further deterioration of regional security. Following their second meeting, Munir departed Tehran, concluding his diplomatic visit.

Pakistani army chief's meetings with Iran make encouraging progress to promote de-escalation

Pakistani army chief's meetings with Iran make encouraging progress to promote de-escalation

Iran's Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) said on Saturday that 25 ships safely transited the Strait of Hormuz in the past 24 hours under its coordination, while the U.S. military claimed its ongoing naval blockade has forced more than 100 commercial vessels to change course over the past six weeks.

The IRGC Navy said in a statement that 25 vessels, including oil tankers, container ships and other commercial ships, crossed the strait after obtaining permission and under its security escort. Despite what Iran called "insecurity" caused by "U.S. terrorist army aggression," the IRGC Navy said it continues to exercise "smart control" over the strategic waterway.

Earlier this week, the IRGC reported that 92 vessels had crossed the strait between Tuesday and Friday, reiterating that all passages must be coordinated with and approved by its forces.

Meanwhile, U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) said on social media on the same day that its blockade, imposed on April 13, has reached the milestone of redirecting 100 commercial vessels over the past six weeks. According to CENTCOM, more than 15,000 U.S. personnel have been involved, with over 200 aircraft and warships supporting the mission, including two carrier strike groups. The blockade applies to vessels of all nations entering or departing Iranian ports on the Arabian Gulf and Gulf of Oman.

The dueling claims underscore the ongoing standoff over the strait, a vital chokepoint for global oil shipments. Iran tightened its control on February 28 after U.S.-Israeli strikes on Iranian territory, barring vessels affiliated with the two countries. The United States responded with the blockade, which it says has squeezed Iran economically.

Iran, US give divergent accounts of Hormuz traffic amid standoff

Iran, US give divergent accounts of Hormuz traffic amid standoff

Recommended Articles