Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Government Advances Acquisition Work of Wang Fuk Court at Full Speed

HK

Government Advances Acquisition Work of Wang Fuk Court at Full Speed
HK

HK

Government Advances Acquisition Work of Wang Fuk Court at Full Speed

2026-07-17 18:00 Last Updated At:18:13

Government advances acquisition work of Wang Fuk Court at full speed

The Deputy Financial Secretary, Mr Michael Wong, and the Secretary for Housing, Ms Winnie Ho, attended the meeting of the Finance Committee (FC) of the Legislative Council (LegCo) today (July 17) to seek extra funding approval of $1 billion to make the long-term housing arrangement available to the owners of Wang Chi House (Block H), Wang Fuk Court in Tai Po. Together with the $2.8 billion provided by the Support Fund for Wang Fuk Court in Tai Po and the $4 billion earmarked under the 2026-27 Budget for the acquisition of Blocks A to G of Wang Fuk Court, the Wang Fuk Court long-term housing arrangement plan will cover all eight blocks (Blocks A to H).

More Images
The Deputy Financial Secretary, Mr Michael Wong, Photo source: reference image

The Deputy Financial Secretary, Mr Michael Wong, Photo source: reference image

The Secretary for Housing, Ms Winnie Ho, Photo source: reference image

The Secretary for Housing, Ms Winnie Ho, Photo source: reference image

Wang Fuk Court, Photo by Bastille Post

Wang Fuk Court, Photo by Bastille Post

Wang Fuk Court, Photo by Bastille Post

Wang Fuk Court, Photo by Bastille Post

The Deputy Financial Secretary, Mr Michael Wong, Photo source: reference image

The Deputy Financial Secretary, Mr Michael Wong, Photo source: reference image

The Secretary for Housing, Ms Winnie Ho, Photo source: reference image

The Secretary for Housing, Ms Winnie Ho, Photo source: reference image

Expressing gratitude to the FC for its approval of the funding, Mr Wong said that the Government will continue to advance the acquisition work of Wang Fuk Court at full speed.

As of yesterday (July 16), 90 per cent of the owners (1 786 flats) of the eight buildings of Wang Fuk Court (Blocks A to H) have submitted the duly signed "Letters of Acceptance". Among them, 1 565 letters came from the seven buildings from Blocks A to G, representing 90.1 per cent of the total number of flats in these seven blocks, while 221 letters came from Wang Chi House (Block H), representing about 89.1 per cent of the total number of flats in that block.

The Government has already signed the Agreement for Sale and Purchase with 769 owners, accounting for about 43 per cent of those who have submitted the duly signed "Letters of Acceptance".

Mr Wong said that during the FC meeting, a few LegCo Members have reflected that some residents are worried that their personal belongings remaining in the flats may not be retrievable upon transferring titles to the Government. In this connection, the Government had previously arranged for Wang Fuk Court residents to return to their flats to collect their personal belongings in two rounds. The Government is consolidating the relevant experience.

Mr Wong said that the Government has all along been striking a balance among empathy, rationality, and legality, with empathy as the priority. It will therefore adopt a people-oriented and flexible approach when addressing residents' requests for further retrieval of personal belongings from the flats. If individual residents have special needs to retrieve items left in the flats, they can make the requests through appropriate channels, including the Engagement Team and the "one social worker per household" service. The Government will consider such requests, taking into account the actual circumstances including the overall condition of the buildings, safety of the residents and working staff, as well as the substantial manpower and logistical support required, before handling the items inside the flats. The general direction is to provide opportunity for the residents to return to the flats to take their necessary belongings to tie in with their new accommodation arrangements as far as possible.

Wang Fuk Court, Photo by Bastille Post

Wang Fuk Court, Photo by Bastille Post

At the meeting, Mr Wong also mentioned to Members that the Support Fund for Wang Fuk Court in Tai Po has decided to enhance the rental grant arrangement for the owners of Wang Fuk Court.

Under the enhanced arrangement, regardless of which long-term housing arrangement option the owners have chosen, whether they have successfully purchased a flat, or even if they do not participate in the long-term housing arrangements, they will receive a rental grant totalling $300,000 over two years from December 22, 2025, to December 21, 2027. In addition, if owners opt to join the Special Sales Exercise, their eligibility for the rental grant will only cease three months after the date of the assignment of the new flat purchased. Rental grants disbursed need not be refunded, but no further grants will be disbursed thereafter.

The Engagement Team co-ordinated by the Housing Bureau will continue to maintain communication with owners of Wang Fuk Court. If there are any enquiries, owners may contact their designated Engagement Team member or call the hotline at 2129 8133. Owners may also visit the dedicated website for the long-term housing arrangements for Wang Fuk Court (www.hb.gov.hk/wfc) for further details.

Wang Fuk Court, Photo by Bastille Post

Wang Fuk Court, Photo by Bastille Post

New York ETO promotes Hong Kong's vibrant culture at dragon boat festival

The Hong Kong Economic and Trade Office in New York (New York ETO) continues to support the 36th Hong Kong Dragon Boat Festival in New York (HKDBF-NY), a role it has held since founding the festival in 1990.

This year's festival marks the 40th anniversary of Hong Kong's gift of teak wood dragon boats to citiesacross North America, including New York City, introducing this centuries-old Chinese tradition to the continent. This legacy takes centre stage this weekend with a special invitational race to commemorate the anniversary, alongside a display of the traditional teak wood dragon boats for visitors throughout the weekend.

At the festival opening ceremony on August 8 (New York time), the Director of the New York ETO, Ms Maisie Ho, reflected on this legacy and how the HKDBF-NY, one of New York City's largest multicultural festivals, has brought people together for 36 years, proving that sport has a unique power to connect and unite people.

Ms Ho said the festival is a celebration of heritage, resilience and teamwork, noting that the vigour, determination and camaraderie shown by the competing athletes reflect the same qualities that define Hong Kong – a cosmopolitan and vibrant gateway city that connects business, talent and ideas, while remaining firmly rooted in its cultural heritage.

Ms Ho added that the festival is a testament to the enduring friendship between Hong Kong and New York and the United States, fostering mutual understanding and strengthening cultural and people-to-people ties. "Our office remains committed to building on this relationship in the years ahead," she said.

This weekend's festivities also coincide with a milestone moment for dragon boating worldwide, as the International Dragon Boat Federation (IDBF) recently relocated its global headquarters back to Hong Kong in July, marking a homecoming to the birthplace of the modern dragon boat movement. The IDBF's World Dragon Boat Racing Championships will also return to Hong Kong next year for the first time since 1997. Ms Ho noted that this development was a vote of confidence in Hong Kong as a world-class hub for international sport.

Ahead of the race weekend, Ms Ho and representatives of the festival's major sponsors gathered in Hudson Yards on July 15 for the traditional "awakening" ceremony, dotting the eyes of the dragons in a ritual believed to bring good fortune to the racers. Then on August 7, the festival's organising committee took the celebration to Wall Street, ringing the closing bell at the New York Stock Exchange, a nod to the festival's place in New York's cultural and sporting calendar.

Over the two-day festival, more than 170 teams and over 1 800 paddlers battled for the podium in front of a strong crowd. Beyond the races, the New York ETO had a festival booth to promote Hong Kong to visitors. Visitors all enjoyed delectable Hong Kong street food, vibrant cultural and musical performances, alongside martial arts and arts and crafts demonstrations throughout the festival grounds.

New York ETO promotes Hong Kong's vibrant culture at dragon boat festival Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

New York ETO promotes Hong Kong's vibrant culture at dragon boat festival Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

New York ETO promotes Hong Kong's vibrant culture at dragon boat festival Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

New York ETO promotes Hong Kong's vibrant culture at dragon boat festival Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

New York ETO promotes Hong Kong's vibrant culture at dragon boat festival Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

New York ETO promotes Hong Kong's vibrant culture at dragon boat festival Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

New York ETO promotes Hong Kong's vibrant culture at dragon boat festival Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

New York ETO promotes Hong Kong's vibrant culture at dragon boat festival Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

New York ETO promotes Hong Kong's vibrant culture at dragon boat festival Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

New York ETO promotes Hong Kong's vibrant culture at dragon boat festival Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

New York ETO promotes Hong Kong's vibrant culture at dragon boat festival Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

New York ETO promotes Hong Kong's vibrant culture at dragon boat festival Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

New York ETO promotes Hong Kong's vibrant culture at dragon boat festival Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

New York ETO promotes Hong Kong's vibrant culture at dragon boat festival Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

New York ETO promotes Hong Kong's vibrant culture at dragon boat festival Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

New York ETO promotes Hong Kong's vibrant culture at dragon boat festival Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

New York ETO promotes Hong Kong's vibrant culture at dragon boat festival Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

New York ETO promotes Hong Kong's vibrant culture at dragon boat festival Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

New York ETO promotes Hong Kong's vibrant culture at dragon boat festival Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

New York ETO promotes Hong Kong's vibrant culture at dragon boat festival Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

Recommended Articles