Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

First fresh catch arrives in Hainan as fishing moratorium ends

China

China

China

First fresh catch arrives in Hainan as fishing moratorium ends

2026-08-17 20:38 Last Updated At:21:17

The first batch of fishing vessels from south China's tropical island province of Hainan began returning to port in the early hours of Monday, bringing the first fresh catch of the new fishing season, after the conclusion of the annual three-and-a-half-month summer fishing moratorium in the South China Sea.

The annual seasonal ban, which ran from May 1 to August 16, is intended to protect fishery stocks by restricting commercial fishing across designated waters.

At 7:00 on Monday, the first group of fishing boats returned to Yazhou Central Fishing Port in Sanya City of Hainan. Workers unloaded the freshest seafood from the first catch of the season in a relay.

"We have over a hundred trays of fish, about four to five thousand jin (about 2,000 to 2,500 kilograms), with more than 10 species of fish," said Yang Hongde, a Sanya fisherman.

"We returned with a full catch as soon as we went out to sea. Our business is getting better and better," said Xu Linhao, another Sanya fisherwoman.

At the seafood trading market, buyers had already been waiting early. Before the catch could even be unloaded from the trucks, it was snapped up and pre-ordered.

"We can sell the fish we purchase here anywhere in Hainan, like Sanya, Basuo and Qinglan," said Wang Xiaofei, a Hainan purchaser.

The first batch of catches mainly came from local small fishing vessels operating within 10 nautical miles of the coast.

The catch consisted mostly of high-quality wild marine fish such as mackerel, pomfret, grouper, hairtail and squid. As more fresh catches come ashore in large quantities, the local seafood market supply will continue to rise.

"The first batch of 600 local small fishing vessels has returned to Yazhou Central Fishing Port, bringing in about 600 to 700 metric tons of catch. Compared with the period before the fishing moratorium, wholesale prices have dropped by an average of five to ten yuan (about 0.74-1.48 U.S. dollars) on Monday. As medium and large fishing vessels continue to return, seafood prices will drop further," said An Chuanjun, a fourth-level chief staff member of the Yazhou Agriculture and Rural Affairs Bureau.

First fresh catch arrives in Hainan as fishing moratorium ends

First fresh catch arrives in Hainan as fishing moratorium ends

Hopes of rescuing survivors from the rubble have dimmed nearly a week after a magnitude-7.5 earthquake struck Pereira, Colombia.

Colombia's National Unit for Disaster Risk Management (UNGRD) updated the death toll of the earthquake on Sunday, noting that as of 07:30 of the day, the disaster had caused 289 deaths and 4,187 injuries.

At a refuge center, local resident Argelis Quintana recounted narrowly escaping a collapsing structure while trying to purchase traditional fritters.

"There were people buying things in the bakery where I was buying bunuelos. Thankfully, we were lucky enough to get out. We bought them and got out of the bakery (before it collapsed)," she said.

Rescue teams, comprising volunteers, police officers and heavy machinery donated by local businesses worked tirelessly through darkness to gain access to the debris. The community's unity was evident, with efforts coordinated to detect signs of life beneath the rubble. On Tuesday, hope appeared slightly brighter when faint sounds were believed to have emanated from within the ruins, prompting rescuers to pause and listen intently.

Throughout the week, rescue teams deployed specialized equipment, including a trained search dog deployed on Wednesday, to detect movements and sounds. Despite these efforts, no definitive evidence of survivors was found, only the faint vibrations and signals that suggested potential human presence.

"I teach the power of silence in my classes. To feel such massive collaboration, everyone coordinated toward the same goal, is very powerful," said Franco Victorino, a resident.

On Thursday, a drone was used to survey the area from above, aiding engineers and firefighters in their assessment. That night, a final exploratory operation was conducted, but authorities ultimately decided to halt rescue efforts. The decision was driven by structural instability and safety concerns, as the fractured columns threatened to cause further collapse.

Nicolas, a volunteer and friend of a missing person believed to be inside, said uncertainty has taken a deep emotional toll. Yet, he also expressed profound gratitude for the rescue efforts.

"I know it has been a very difficult trauma for everyone, including the firefighters, rescuers and us. I wanted to say, before the firefighters arrived, all the people around (offered help) without thinking twice, without protection, without gloves, without helmets and without absolutely anything," he said.

A 7.5-magnitude earthquake jolted Colombia at 07:34 Monday local time, according to the China Earthquake Networks Center (CENC).

The quake severely hit 32 cities across the nation.

Hopes of finding survivors fade nearly one week after deadly earthquake

Hopes of finding survivors fade nearly one week after deadly earthquake

Recommended Articles