Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Michael Cheika to return as Waratahs head coach in Super Rugby

Sport

Michael Cheika to return as Waratahs head coach in Super Rugby
Sport

Sport

Michael Cheika to return as Waratahs head coach in Super Rugby

2026-08-19 17:29 Last Updated At:17:30

SYDNEY (AP) — Michael Cheika is set to return as head coach of the New South Wales Waratahs a dozen years after guiding the Sydney-based franchise to its only Super Rugby title.

The 59-year-old Cheika, who was Australia's head coach when the Wallabies reached the 2015 World Cup final in England, will start back at the Waratahs in November after coaching Lebanon at the Rugby League World Cup.

“The Waratahs have always occupied a special place for me — it’s my home state and I feel ready to return as head coach ahead of an important year for the Waratahs and also for Australian rugby in the lead up to the home Rugby World Cup,” Cheika said.

Cheika left the Wallabies' top job after a quarterfinal exit at the 2019 Rugby World Cup, and then steered Argentina to the semifinals at the 2023 World Cup in France.

Cheika also had success at the club level in the northern hemisphere, guiding Leinster to the 2009 European Cup glory.

“He’s a proven winner and (has) a really good track record of success,” Waratahs high performance manager BJ Mather said. "We don’t want to hark back to 2014 all the time, but you know he’s the last Waratahs head coach to have won the Super Rugby (title), so he sees an opportunity here to try and build something again to make the Waratahs successful.”

The Waratahs have failed to reach the Super Rugby playoffs in the last three seasons under Dan McKellar and Darren Coleman.

See AP’s full rugby coverage here

FILE - Argentina's head coach Michael Cheika prior to the Rugby World Cup third place match between England and Argentina at the Stade de France in Saint-Denis, outside Paris, Friday, Oct. 27, 2023. (AP Photo/Pavel Golovkin, file)

FILE - Argentina's head coach Michael Cheika prior to the Rugby World Cup third place match between England and Argentina at the Stade de France in Saint-Denis, outside Paris, Friday, Oct. 27, 2023. (AP Photo/Pavel Golovkin, file)

LONDON (AP) — Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios revealed on Wednesday he tested positive for cocaine and was provisionally suspended from tennis.

The 31-year-old Australian was beaten by Novak Djokovic in the 2022 singles final. He's now ranked 919th after a series of injuries. Kyrgios posted details of the case on social media.

“I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca after testing positive for cocaine,” he wrote, citing a lower level tournament in June. “I made a huge mistake and take full responsibility for it.”

Cocaine is banned as a doping substance during competitions, with lower sanctions possible when used away from events.

Kyrgios said he had difficulties coming to terms with being near the end of his career after two years of injuries.

“At times I’ve felt helpless and alone. None of that excuses what I did,” he said.

Kyrgios got a wild card to play doubles at Wimbledon last month and lost in the first round with partner Alexander Bublik.

The International Tennis Integrity Agency will prosecute the case and said the player's sample was taken on June 22 and the positive test was confirmed on July 17, after Kyrgios played at Wimbledon.

A mandatory provisional suspension was applied on Aug. 4 and has not been appealed by Kyrgios, the ITIA added.

See AP’s full tennis coverage here

FILE - Nick Kyrgios, of Australia, reacts during his match against Mackenzie McDonald at the Miami Open tennis tournament, Wednesday, March 19, 2025, in Miami Gardens, Fla. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky, file)

FILE - Nick Kyrgios, of Australia, reacts during his match against Mackenzie McDonald at the Miami Open tennis tournament, Wednesday, March 19, 2025, in Miami Gardens, Fla. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky, file)

Recommended Articles