EDMONTON, Alberta (AP) — Miyu Yamashita opened a five-stroke lead Friday in the CPKC Women’s Open as players again fought mosquitos on the tree-lined course tucked in a bend in the North Saskatchewan River.
A stroke ahead Thursday after an opening 8-under 62, the 4-foot-11 Yamashita shot 64 in the afternoon to get to 14 under at Royal Mayfair.
Click to Gallery
Canada's Brooke Henderson hits her third shot on the ninth hole during the second round at the LPGA Canadian Women's Open golf tournament in Edmonton, Alberta, Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. (Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press via AP)
Ariya Jutanugarn, of Thailand, hits her tee shot on the 13th hole during the second round of the LPGA Women's Open golf tournament, in Edmonton, on Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. (Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press via AP)
Miyu Yamashita, of Japan, tips her visor to the crowd after making birdie on the 10th hole during the second round at the LPGA Canadian Women's Open golf tournament in Edmonton, Alberta, Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. (Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press via AP)
Miyu Yamashita, of Japan, watches her second shot on the 10th hole during the second round at the LPGA Canadian Women's Open golf tournament in Edmonton, Alberta, Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. (Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press via AP)
Miyu Yamashita, of Japan, hits her tee shot on the 12th hole during the second round at the LPGA Canadian Women's Open golf tournament in Edmonton, Alberta, Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. (Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press via AP)
“I’m really happy,” Yamashita said through a translator. “With two rounds to go, I just want to focus on my game and keep playing like this.”
The 25-year-old Japanese player won the Meijer LPGA Classic in June after taking the Women’s British Open and Maybank Championship last year.
“Rather than focus on the score, I’m thinking about how I can make birdies,” the 2025 LPGA rookie of the year said.
American Kiara Romero was tied for second in her first event as an LPGA Tour member. She followed an opening 64 with a 67.
The 20-year-old Romero is the second player to earn LPGA Tour membership through the LPGA Elite Amateur Pathway, following Lottie Woad last year.
“Honestly, I’m just really grateful to be out here,” Romero said. “I just came out here with the mindset to just go out and have fun and just enjoy it and just remember that it’s just golf at the end of the day.”
Soo Bin Joo (63) and Yuri Yoshida (66) joined Romero at 9 under.
“I like this golf course. I love Canada. It’s so pretty," Joo said. "All the trees are so pretty and I’m enjoying it, except for the mosquitoes. Gosh, it’s so bad.”
Ruoning Yin closed with a double bogey for a 67, leaving her 8 under with Nasa Hataoka (69).
Seventeen-year-old Anna Huang was the top Canadian. She was 7 under after a 68.
Canadian star Brooke Henderson, the 2018 and 2025 champion, was 5 under after a 68.
“I love this event,” Henderson said. It’s so amazing and such a cool opportunity to be able to play in front of all the Canadian fans. They just show me so much love and support year after year. Even early this morning the fairways were lined with people coming out to watch."
Top-ranked Nelly Korda shot 70 to remain 3 under. Lydia Ko, the 2013 winner at Royal Mayfair as an amateur, was 1 under after a 69.
This is the final week of qualifying for Americans to make the Solheim Cup team for the Sept. 11-13 matches in the Netherlands.
See AP’s full golf coverage here
Canada's Brooke Henderson hits her third shot on the ninth hole during the second round at the LPGA Canadian Women's Open golf tournament in Edmonton, Alberta, Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. (Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press via AP)
Ariya Jutanugarn, of Thailand, hits her tee shot on the 13th hole during the second round of the LPGA Women's Open golf tournament, in Edmonton, on Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. (Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press via AP)
Miyu Yamashita, of Japan, tips her visor to the crowd after making birdie on the 10th hole during the second round at the LPGA Canadian Women's Open golf tournament in Edmonton, Alberta, Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. (Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press via AP)
Miyu Yamashita, of Japan, watches her second shot on the 10th hole during the second round at the LPGA Canadian Women's Open golf tournament in Edmonton, Alberta, Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. (Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press via AP)
Miyu Yamashita, of Japan, hits her tee shot on the 12th hole during the second round at the LPGA Canadian Women's Open golf tournament in Edmonton, Alberta, Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. (Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press via AP)
DALLAS (AP) — The Dallas Mavericks and Klay Thompson have agreed on a contract buyout, ending a two-year tenure that was wrecked by the shocking trade of Luka Doncic.
Thompson intends to sign with the Miami Heat once he clears waivers, according to a person familiar with the five-time All-Star’s plans. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Friday because Thompson has yet to reveal that detail publicly. Assuming he is not claimed by another club, Thompson may be able to sign with the Heat as early as Sunday.
The buyout announcement comes after the Mavericks missed the playoffs in both of Thompson’s seasons, which came after Doncic led Dallas to the NBA Finals in 2024.
Thompson joined Dallas in a sign-and-trade with Golden State, giving the Mavericks one of the league's all-time great 3-point shooters to complement Doncic and another high-scoring guard in Kyrie Irving.
But the high hopes for that threesome imploded after the Mavericks sent Doncic to the Los Angeles Lakers for the oft-injured Anthony Davis in a deal before the trade deadline in 2025. Irving tore the ACL in his left knee a month later and hasn't played since. Davis was traded to the Washington Wizards just before the February trade deadline last season.
The Doncic trade ended up derailing the franchise, although Dallas overcame steep odds to win the draft lottery a few months later. With the No. 1 overall pick, the Mavericks selected Duke star freshman Cooper Flagg, who ended up winning Rookie of the Year.
The addition of Flagg led to Thompson coming off the bench in most games for the first time since his rookie year with Golden State.
The buyout of Thompson is the latest in a major retooling of the Dallas roster. His departure leaves just five players from opening day two years ago, along with a new front office in president of basketball operations Masai Ujiri and general manager Mike Schmitz and a new coach in Dusty May, who replaced Jason Kidd.
Thompson won four NBA titles alongside Stephen Curry and Draymond Green with the Warriors. The 36-year-old spent his first 13 seasons with Golden State, although he missed two entire seasons with knee and Achilles injuries.
The five-time All-Star averaged 12.9 points and shot 39% from 3-point range in his two years with the Mavericks. His career marks are 19.6 points per game and 41% shooting from beyond the arc.
Thompson passed Damian Lillard for fourth place on the career 3-point list in January. He has 2,899 3-pointers, trailing Curry, James Harden and Ray Allen.
Thompson missed the playoffs just twice in the 11 seasons he played for the Warriors. He matched that number in his only two seasons with Dallas.
“Klay is one of the great players and competitors of his generation, and we are grateful for everything he brought to the Mavericks organization,” Ujiri said. “We have tremendous respect for Klay and all that he has accomplished throughout his career.”
AP Basketball Writer Tim Reynolds contributed to this story.
See AP’s full NBA coverage here
FILE - Dallas Mavericks guard Klay Thompson handles the ball during an NBA basketball game against the Atlanta Hawks in Dallas, March 18, 2026. (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez, File)