Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

What to know about Alex Jones' Texas court win and more than $1 billion in damages he still faces

News

What to know about Alex Jones' Texas court win and more than $1 billion in damages he still faces
News

News

What to know about Alex Jones' Texas court win and more than $1 billion in damages he still faces

2026-08-22 12:02 Last Updated At:12:40

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones is still under orders to pay more than $1 billion over his false claims surrounding the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre despite a Texas court reducing some of the money awarded to families.

For the bombastic Infowars founder, the ruling that saves him more than $40 million was still a legal victory amid multiple punishing financial judgments that forced him and his company, Free Speech Systems, to file for bankruptcy.

Sandy Hook families have yet to collect any money from Jones, who has left his Infowars platform amid numerous ongoing legal battles but is still broadcasting on other websites.

He still faces a defamation judgment of $1.25 billion in a Connecticut lawsuit and the nearly $6 million that remains in the Texas case.

What to know about Jones, Infowars and his legal cases:

Several relatives of the 20 first graders and six educators killed at Sandy Hook sued Jones and his company, Free Speech Systems, in Connecticut and Texas for defamation and inflicting emotional distress for saying the shooting was staged by “crisis actors” to win more gun control.

Victims’ relatives testified that followers of Jones subjected them to death and rape threats, in-person harassment and abusive comments on social media.

Jones argued there was no proof that linked him to the others’ actions. He did concede under oath that the shooting did happen.

The Connecticut case produced a judgment against Jones of more than $1.4 billion in damages, which was reduced by about $150 million during appeals. In Texas, Jones was hit with nearly $50 million in damages.

On Friday, a state appeals court threw out most of the Texas award because it vastly exceeded the state's legal cap on punitive damages. The ruling reduced that portion from more than $40 million to $1.5 million, leaving about $6 million intact.

The Texas court ruling did not throw out the finding of defamation against Jones. He still called it a major victory for free speech and vowed to continue his appeals.

“I got lawyers who are good constitutional lawyers, and they are not backing down,” Jones said.

The Texas ruling has no impact on the bigger Connecticut case, where Jones was found liable for $1.25 billion. That judgment still stands, and Jones' appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court last year was denied.

“The families care not at all about this irrelevant ruling which affects only two of the 19 claims they all share. Jones still faces over a billion dollars of liability, so this changes absolutely nothing. All it does is highlight the absurdity of Texas law,” said Mark Bankston, an attorney for the families in the Texas case.

Jones pushed many conspiracy theories over the last three decades, including that the U.S. government was behind or failed to stop the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing and the 9/11 attacks.

As the outlandish nature of his false claims grew, so did his presence across radio stations, his Infowars website and social media.

After getting fired from an Austin radio station in the mid-1990s, he began broadcasting from home on his Infowars website. He bought the domain name for $9.

In 2004, he had two employees and a tiny office. By 2010, Jones had over 60 employees. By 2024, he had four studios in Austin and a warehouse for the products he sells.

Jones filed for bankruptcy in 2022 as the judgments against him mounted. The liquidation of assets forced him to surrender his Infowars platform.

He still broadcasts on new websites, social media and streaming platforms, and he continues to sell merchandise, including dietary supplements and clothing that bring in millions of dollars a year.

Sandy Hook families have been prevented from collecting any money from Jones while he pursues lengthy appeals in state and federal courts.

The satirical website The Onion has moved to take over Jones’ Infowars platforms and turn his bullhorn of conspiracy theories into parody sites.

Jones took Infowars off the air in April. A proposed licensing deal that would give The Onion temporary authority to use Infowars’ trademarks, copyrights and intellectual property has been put on hold during Jones' appeals.

Still, The Onion has set up its own Infowars webpage on its website, running videos of shows parodying Jones. The webpage replaced the “o” in Infowars with an onion and sells products under that logo including T-shirts, tote bags and coffee mugs, with some proceeds going to the Sandy Hook families.

Associated Press writer Dave Collins contributed from Hartford, Connecticut.

FILE - Right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones speaks to the media after arriving at the federal courthouse for a hearing in front of a bankruptcy judge in Houston, June 14, 2024. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip, File)

FILE - Right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones speaks to the media after arriving at the federal courthouse for a hearing in front of a bankruptcy judge in Houston, June 14, 2024. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip, File)

MACKAY, Australia (AP) — Mitchell Starc removed Bangladesh opener Shadman Islam with the first ball of the match and the veteran Australian fast bowler took six wickets in the first innings of the second cricket test Saturday.

After Australia won the toss and decided to bowl, with captain Pat Cummins suggesting “the wicket looks pretty good, but if there is any moisture in it, it might be this morning.” Starc proved Cummins correct and Bangladesh was bowled out for 64 runs shortly after lunch.

Islam was caught in the gully off a leading edge to give Starc his record fourth career wicket on the first ball of a match. Starc removed Tanzid Hasan and had captain Najmul Hossain Shanto caught lbw in the third over to leave Bangladesh, which surprisingly won the first test of the two-test series, reeling.

Starc got his fourth wicket when Nathan Green made a grass-top catch to remove Mominul Haque for 9, the only Bangladesh batter to score a run among the first four batters Saturday. His fifth wicket came when he had Litton Das trapped lbw and his sixth after lunch.

Starc's figures were 6-12 in 10 overs and Cummins finished with three wickets. The Bangladesh total was the lowest while batting first in Australia since 1932 when South Africa was dismissed for 36.

“Six (wickets) in the first session, can't beat that,” Starc told his wife, television commentator and former Australia captain Alyssa Healy while walking off the field at lunch. “Obviously a little bit of anger."

Australia announced a 13-man squad earlier this week, with only one change for the second test. It dropped Jake Weatherald and recalled Matt Renshaw, who opened the batting but was out for 8 early in the Australian innings.

The match began under sunny skies at the Great Barrier Reef Arena in Mackay, a coastal city in Queensland state about 800 kilometers (500 miles) north of the capital Brisbane.

Bangladesh’s first test win in Australia put pressure on national cricket selectors for an overhaul, but the bulk of the aging squad was retained despite being outplayed in Darwin, where the likes of Mehidy Hasan Miraz and Hasan made the most of the tropical conditions.

The two-test “Top End” series starts a heavy 12-month schedule for the Australians that will feature 20 test matches, including tours to South Africa, India and England.

See AP’s full cricket coverage here

Mitchell Starc of Australia appeals unsuccessfully for a wicket during play on day two of the first cricket test against Bangladesh in Darwin, Australia, Friday, Aug.14, 2026, (James Ross/AAPImage via AP)

Mitchell Starc of Australia appeals unsuccessfully for a wicket during play on day two of the first cricket test against Bangladesh in Darwin, Australia, Friday, Aug.14, 2026, (James Ross/AAPImage via AP)

Travis Head of Australia walks from the field after he was dismissed during play on day three of the first cricket test in Darwin, Australia, Saturday, Aug.15, 2026, (James Ross/AAPImage via AP)

Travis Head of Australia walks from the field after he was dismissed during play on day three of the first cricket test in Darwin, Australia, Saturday, Aug.15, 2026, (James Ross/AAPImage via AP)

Mehidy Hasan Miraz of Bangladesh celebrates after dismissing Beau Webster of Australia during play on day four of the first cricket test in Darwin, Australia, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026. (James Ross/AAP Image via AP)

Mehidy Hasan Miraz of Bangladesh celebrates after dismissing Beau Webster of Australia during play on day four of the first cricket test in Darwin, Australia, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026. (James Ross/AAP Image via AP)

Mehidy Hasan Miraz of Bangladesh takes a selfie with fans after defeating Australia on day four of the first cricket test in Darwin, Australia, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026. (James Ross/AAP Image via AP)

Mehidy Hasan Miraz of Bangladesh takes a selfie with fans after defeating Australia on day four of the first cricket test in Darwin, Australia, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026. (James Ross/AAP Image via AP)

Recommended Articles