KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — At least two people were killed overnight in Ukraine by Russian drone and missile strikes, authorities said, a day after an attack on a shopping center killed 16 people.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Saturday one person was killed and another wounded when ballistic missiles hit railway infrastructure in the capital Kyiv.
Click to Gallery
Valentyna Svertoka, 86, leans against a doorframe as she cleans her apartment in a partially damaged residential building the day after a Russian missile and drone attack in Kyiv, Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Francisco Seco)
A local resident walks past destroyed vehicles and scattered debris the day after a Russian missile and drone attack in Kyiv, Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Francisco Seco)
In this photo provided by the Ukrainian Emergency Service, firefighters work on a fire at a shopping mall following a Russian drone attack in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine, Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. (Ukrainian Emergency Service via AP)
People embrace each other near a burning shopping mall following a Russian drone attack in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine, Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. (AP Photo)
In this photo provided by the Ukrainian Military administration, firefighters work on a fire at a shopping mall following a Russian drone attack in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine, Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. (Ukrainian Military administration via AP)
Russia’s Ministry of Defense said Saturday its forces had hit a locomotive depot.
Moscow’s forces have recently intensified their ballistic missile attacks on Kyiv, exploiting Ukraine’s chronic shortage of U.S.-made Patriot air defense interceptors, the sole weapon in its arsenal able to shoot down the missiles.
Russian drone strikes also killed one person overnight in a village in the Zaporizhzhia region, local officials said Saturday. Zelenskyy said three people were wounded in an attack on a minibus in the regional capital, also called Zaporizhzhia.
The latest attacks came a day after Russian drones struck a shopping center in the city of Kryvyi Rih in central Ukraine on Friday.
Dnipropetrovsk regional head Oleksandr Hanzha said in the early hours of Saturday that the death toll had risen to 16 and nine people remain missing after the attack, which wounded another 130.
Kryvyi Rih is the hometown of Zelenskyy, who described the attack as a double-tap strike, in which an initial wave of drones hit the area followed by a second wave as rescue workers responded. The Ukrainian leader said the fire, which spread across 9,000 square meters (10,763 square yards), had been extinguished and rescue efforts were underway.
Kryvyi Rih has been hit multiple times during the more than 4-year-old war, with one of the deadliest occurring in April 2025, when 20 people were killed, including nine children.
Large-scale Russian strikes have become a regular occurrence this summer, with Friday’s attacks landing just 24 hours after Russia pounded Kyiv with scores of missiles and drones in a nighttime assault that killed 16 people.
The capital has been hit hard repeatedly in recent weeks: 17 people were killed in a strike on Kyiv and its surrounding region just over two weeks ago, and nine died in another attack on the city two days before that. The United Nations said last week that Kyiv was one of the hardest-hit cities in July, with at least 54 civilians killed and 202 injured.
At the same time, Ukraine has shifted the war onto Russian soil through long-range drone strikes on oil facilities that have caused fuel shortages across the country. It also has unsettled the Russian public by striking warehouses of Wildberries, the country’s biggest online retailer.
The Russian online news outlet Astra reported Saturday that a Ukrainian drone set ablaze an oil refinery in the Samara region. Local officials said damage was recorded at an unidentified “industrial facility” and a logistics center for Ozon, a competitor to Wildberries.
Valentyna Svertoka, 86, leans against a doorframe as she cleans her apartment in a partially damaged residential building the day after a Russian missile and drone attack in Kyiv, Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Francisco Seco)
A local resident walks past destroyed vehicles and scattered debris the day after a Russian missile and drone attack in Kyiv, Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Francisco Seco)
In this photo provided by the Ukrainian Emergency Service, firefighters work on a fire at a shopping mall following a Russian drone attack in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine, Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. (Ukrainian Emergency Service via AP)
People embrace each other near a burning shopping mall following a Russian drone attack in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine, Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. (AP Photo)
In this photo provided by the Ukrainian Military administration, firefighters work on a fire at a shopping mall following a Russian drone attack in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine, Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. (Ukrainian Military administration via AP)
MACKAY, Australia (AP) — Mitchell Starc removed Bangladesh opener Shadman Islam with the first ball of the match and the veteran Australian fast bowler took six wickets in the first innings on a wild first day of the second cricket test Saturday.
Later, Shoriful Islam incredibly matched Starc's total with a six-wicket haul on a day which saw 18 wickets fall.
After Australia won the toss and decided to bowl, with captain Pat Cummins suggesting “the wicket looks pretty good, but if there is any moisture in it, it might be this morning.” Starc proved Cummins correct and Bangladesh was bowled out for 64 runs shortly after lunch.
The wicket, however, continued to be a challenge for batters well beyond the morning.
In reply, Australia was 165-8 at stumps to lead by 101 runs despite Shoriful Islam's 6-35 total. Cameron Green was one of the not-out batsmen on 51 with Nathan Lyon on 10.
Shadman Islam was caught in the gully off a leading edge to give Starc his record fourth career wicket on the first ball of a match. Starc removed Tanzid Hasan and had captain Najmul Hossain Shanto caught lbw in the third over to leave Bangladesh, which surprisingly won the first test of the two-test series, reeling.
Starc got his fourth wicket when Cameron Green made a grass-top catch to remove Mominul Haque for 9, the only Bangladesh batter to score a run among the first four batters Saturday. His fifth wicket came when he had Litton Das trapped lbw and his sixth after lunch.
Starc's figures were 6-12 in 10 overs and Cummins finished with three wickets. The Bangladesh total was the lowest while batting first in Australia since 1932 when South Africa was dismissed for 36.
The highest Bangladesh score was by No. 11 batter Shoriful Islam with 14.
“Six (wickets) in the first session, can't beat that,” Starc told his wife, television commentator and former Australia captain Alyssa Healy while walking off the field at lunch. “Obviously a little bit of anger."
Australia announced a 13-man squad earlier this week, with only one change for the second test. It dropped Jake Weatherald and recalled Matt Renshaw, who opened the batting but was out for 8 early in the Australian innings.
The match began under sunny skies at the Great Barrier Reef Arena in Mackay, a coastal city in Queensland state about 800 kilometers (500 miles) north of the capital Brisbane.
Bangladesh’s first test win in Australia put pressure on national cricket selectors for an overhaul, but the bulk of the aging squad was retained despite being outplayed in Darwin, where the likes of Mehidy Hasan Miraz and Hasan made the most of the tropical conditions.
The two-test “Top End” series starts a heavy 12-month schedule for the Australians that will feature 20 test matches, including tours to South Africa, India and England.
See AP’s full cricket coverage here
Mitchell Starc of Australia appeals unsuccessfully for a wicket during play on day two of the first cricket test against Bangladesh in Darwin, Australia, Friday, Aug.14, 2026, (James Ross/AAPImage via AP)
Travis Head of Australia walks from the field after he was dismissed during play on day three of the first cricket test in Darwin, Australia, Saturday, Aug.15, 2026, (James Ross/AAPImage via AP)
Mehidy Hasan Miraz of Bangladesh celebrates after dismissing Beau Webster of Australia during play on day four of the first cricket test in Darwin, Australia, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026. (James Ross/AAP Image via AP)
Mehidy Hasan Miraz of Bangladesh takes a selfie with fans after defeating Australia on day four of the first cricket test in Darwin, Australia, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026. (James Ross/AAP Image via AP)