NEW YORK (AP) — The New York Yankees placed starting pitcher Ryan Weathers on the 15-day injured list with a left forearm flexor strain on Sunday and the left-hander is optimistic he can return by the end of the season.
Weathers was awaiting consultation with team physician Dr. Christopher Ahmad. Manager Aaron Boone said Weathers will not throw for two to four weeks.
“Big picture, obviously really good news,” Boone said before the Yankees concluded a three-game series against Toronto. “We’ll try and let this thing calm down here and hopefully get him back in some capacity before the end.”
Weathers exited Saturday’s 4-3 loss in the fourth inning with left forearm discomfort after throwing a sweeper out of the strike zone to Myles Straw. After the pitch, Weathers circled the mound and called for catcher Austin Wells.
“I just knew something was off,” Weathers said. “Kind of didn’t feel right. I could have kept pitching no doubt, but it was like, this is stupid. There is time to be a competitor and a time to be smart and we’re kind of in the vulnerable part of the year where I want to pitch in September and I want to pitch in the postseason, so I thought that was the best option yesterday.”
Weathers said he initially felt pain throwing a pitch to Daz Cameron and it continued when he allowed a single to rookie Charles McAdoo.
The 26-year-old son of former New York reliever David Weathers joined the Yankees in a January trade with the Marlins following consecutive injury-shortened seasons. Weathers did not make his season debut last season until May 14 because of a strained left flexor and missed between June 7 and Sept. 11 with a strained left lat.
“I personally don’t think so,” Weathers said when asked if this injury was worse than last season. “I kind of had a similar injury at the end of spring training last year with the Marlins. Yesterday’s scans revealed that it was less than what it was last year.”
Weathers is 5-8 with a 3.60 ERA in 25 starts this year after allowing two runs and eight hits in 3 1/3 innings on Saturday. He also has set career highs with 143 strikeouts and 137 1/3 innings.
Weathers was 3-7 with a 4.15 ERA in his first 18 starts and is 2-1 with a 2.27 ERA in seven starts since the All-Star break. He permitted 16 homers in 97 2/3 innings before the break and only two in 39 2/3 innings in his last seven starts.
Weathers became the fourth Yankee starting pitcher to spend time on the injured list this season. Gerrit Cole missed the first 51 games before returning from elbow ligament reconstruction on May 22. Max Fried is on the injured list for the second time with a bone bruised in his left elbow and Carlos Rodón had two IL stints due to left elbow injuries.
To replace Weathers on the roster, Brendan Beck was called up from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes Barre. Beck allowed five runs in 3 2/3 innings July 4 against Minnesota in a spot start and made his big league debut May 7 against Texas.
He was 5-6 with a 3.63 ERA over 16 starts in 2024, when he was sidelined by a strained left index finger.
See AP’s full MLB coverage here
New York Yankees pitcher Ryan Weathers leaves during the fourth inning of a baseball game against the Toronto Blue Jays Saturday, Aug. 22, 2026, in New York. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)
New York Yankees manager Aaron Boone, right, and home plate umpire Dan Iassogna, left, watch as pitcher Ryan Weathers leaves during the fourth inning of a baseball game against the Toronto Blue Jays Saturday, Aug. 22, 2026, in New York. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)
WASHINGTON (AP) — For once, things will be moving quickly in bureaucratic Washington, D.C., when the nation’s capital hosts an IndyCar race through its streets.
President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump are scheduled to watch Sunday’s Freedom 250 Grand Prix as the cars whip through the city’s downtown, including a stretch along Pennsylvania Avenue not too far from the White House.
“Their beautiful cars are going to make freedom roar. This will be a freedom that’s roaring like never before,” Trump said at the White House earlier this month as he promoted the event.
Before the race, Trump and his wife will lead a traditional prerace kickoff in his presidential limo, U.S. Ambassador Monica Crowley, Trump’s liaison to the organizing group America250, said in an interview on Fox Business on Friday.
The open-wheel race, with cars whizzing past Washington’s monuments at speeds approaching 200 mph, is the latest of Trump’s celebrations this year to mark America’s 250th birthday.
Trump’s other events to mark the semiquincentennial of the Declaration of Independence’s signing have included a UFC fight on the White House lawn, military aircraft flyovers, a massive July Fourth fireworks show on the National Mall and a Great American State Fair that the president headlined after scores of ’90s-era musical acts dropped out. The events have all had a Trumpian flair, featuring appearances from his friends and the aim of showcasing spectacle, Americana and power.
In this latest case, it will be horsepower.
In addition to the main event, there will also be a prerace show and flyovers of military aircraft, which swooped and boomed over the city during the July Fourth celebrations.
The IndyCar race comes as Trump has been struggling to resolve the war he started nearly six months ago with Iran, a conflict that has driven up gasoline prices and exacerbated worries from officials in his Republican Party that voters in this November’s midterm elections see the president as distracted and not focused enough on cost-of-living concerns.
Trump in his second term has increasingly seemed to focus on relishing the presidency’s ceremonial aspects. That's included a healthy dose of visits to sporting events — including an appearance last month at the World Cup final, where he presented the trophy to winner Spain and lingered onstage with the team as its members jumped in a hail of confetti.
An executive order Trump signed earlier this year calling for the Freedom 250 Grand Prix declared that the “cars and drivers inspire awe and respect in all who watch this quintessentially American sport,” and the event will “showcase the majesty of our great city as drivers navigate a track around our iconic national monuments in celebration of America’s 250th birthday.”
IndyCar series owner Roger Penske, a longtime friend of Trump’s who received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from him in 2019, helped lead the effort to bring the race to Washington.
Bud Denker, president of Penske Corporation and the race’s chair, said that Penske is paying for the “vast majority” of the race, including building the track and road improvements, while the District of Columbia handled some repaving.
Among the changes needed on the city’s streets was the welding of more than 200 manhole covers to ensure the race cars don’t suck them up off the road.
Sunday’s festivities are also the latest opportunity for Trump to revel in the way he’s putting his mark on the nation’s capital, including large banners showing his face on government buildings, the construction of a massive White House ballroom, a gold-adorned Oval Office and botched repairs at the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool.
President Donald Trump, in the presidential limousine known as "The Beast," does a lap around the track before the IndyCar Freedom 250 Grand Prix auto race, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)
President Donald Trump, in the presidential limousine known as "The Beast," does a lap around the track before the IndyCar Freedom 250 Grand Prix auto race, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)
First lady Melania Trump, from left, and President Donald Trump greet drivers and crews at the IndyCar Freedom 250 Grand Prix auto race, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)
President Donald Trump, in the presidential limousine known as "The Beast," does a lap around the track before the IndyCar Freedom 250 Grand Prix auto race, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)
President Donald Trump arrives at the IndyCar Freedom 250 Grand Prix auto race, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)
Race car diver Caio Collet drives during a qualifying race prior to Sunday's Freedom 250 Grand Prix auto race in Washington, Saturday, Aug. 22, 2026.(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
Race car diver Alex Palou after a qualifying race prior to Sunday's Freedom 250 Grand Prix auto race in Washington, Saturday, Aug. 22, 2026.(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
Race car diver Scott McLaughlin gets out of his car after a qualifying race prior to Sunday's Freedom 250 Grand Prix auto race in Washington, Saturday, Aug. 22, 2026.(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)