Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Mega cable-stayed bridge on Yangtze River completes steel bridge deck pavement

China

China

China

Mega cable-stayed bridge on Yangtze River completes steel bridge deck pavement

2024-11-10 16:15 Last Updated At:16:47

Steel bridge deck pavement of Changzhou-Taizhou Yangtze River Bridge, a cable-stayed bridge with the world's largest span, was completed in east China's Jiangsu Province on Saturday.

Connecting Changzhou and Taizhou cities in Jiangsu, it is the first cross-river facility combining highway, intercity railway and ordinary roads over the Yangtze River, the world's third longest river.

The total pavement area of the upper and lower steel bridge decks exceeds 250,000 square meters, equivalent to 33 standard football fields.

The bridge sets world records for having the largest span among cable-stayed bridges and the largest span among dual-use road and rail steel truss arch bridge.

"The construction team adopted eight types of pavement structures and systems on different areas to enhance the durability of the pavement, driving comfort, and the stability of the highway and railway layer. This has enabled the application of domestically produced materials in the steel deck paving of super-long-span bridges," said Xia Pengfei, executive deputy commander of the Changzhou-Taizhou Yangtze River Bridge construction command department of Jiangsu Communications Engineering Construction Bureau.

After five years of construction, the bridge boasts a total length of 10.3 kilometers, including 5.3 kilometers of road and rail sections. And it is expected to open to traffic by the end of next April.

Mega cable-stayed bridge on Yangtze River completes steel bridge deck pavement

Mega cable-stayed bridge on Yangtze River completes steel bridge deck pavement

The hantavirus outbreak linked to the cruise ship, MV Hondius, has now reached 12 confirmed cases, with three reported deaths, World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Friday.

Speaking at a press briefing in Geneva, Tedros said the Netherlands had confirmed an additional case involving a crew member who disembarked in Tenerife, Spain, was repatriated to the Netherlands and has been isolating since then.

No deaths have been reported since May 2, when the outbreak was first reported to WHO, said Tedros.

He urged the affected countries to continue carefully monitoring all passengers and crew members for the remainder of the quarantine period.

More than 600 contacts continue to be followed in 30 countries, and a small number of high-risk contacts are still being located, according to the WHO chief.

He also thanked the countries cooperating in the international response and epidemiological investigation.

The cruise, operated by Oceanwide Expeditions, departed from Argentina on April 1, carrying around 150 passengers and crew members from more than 20 countries.

The ship arrived at the Dutch port city of Rotterdam on Monday for disinfection, ending a voyage that had drawn the attention of international health authorities over hantavirus infections on board.

Hantavirus cases linked to cruise ship rise to 12 after crew member tests positive: WHO

Hantavirus cases linked to cruise ship rise to 12 after crew member tests positive: WHO

Recommended Articles