Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

60th Anniversary of Dongjiang Water Supply Celebrated with Exhibition in Hong Kong

HK

60th Anniversary of Dongjiang Water Supply Celebrated with Exhibition in Hong Kong
HK

HK

60th Anniversary of Dongjiang Water Supply Celebrated with Exhibition in Hong Kong

2025-01-11 17:08 Last Updated At:17:18

WSD holds "Roving Exhibition on 60th Anniversary of Dongjiang Water Supply to Hong Kong" with first stop at Times Square

This year marks the 60th anniversary of Dongjiang water supply to Hong Kong. To commemorate this remarkable milestone, the Water Supplies Department (WSD) has launched a series of celebration events under the theme "Dongjiang River - An Inseparable Bond, Our Blessed Origin" in phases since September last year. Among the events is the "Roving Exhibition on the 60th Anniversary of Dongjiang Water Supply to Hong Kong" launched today (January 11) at Times Square, Causeway Bay.

The Director of Water Supplies, Mr Roger Wong, visited the location and introduced the content of the exhibition to the public. Mr Wong said that since the 1960s, the country has been providing Hong Kong with an uninterrupted supply of Dongjiang water, which helped the city become an international metropolis. Currently accounting for about 70 to 80 per cent of the fresh water consumption in Hong Kong, Dongjiang water is vital to Hong Kong's prosperous development and demonstrates the country's long-standing care rendered to Hong Kong. He said he hoped that the public will deepen their understanding about the importance of Dongjiang water and fully appreciate the country's immense support after visiting the exhibition. Mr Wong also encouraged the public to learn from history and be grateful for the care rendered by the country.

The rich content of the exhibition covers precious historical photos showing the situation of droughts in 1960s and the Dongjiang-Shenzhen Water Supply Scheme, as well as the work of the governments of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and Guangdong to safeguard the quality and security of Dongjiang water supplied to Hong Kong. Moreover, virtual reality and quiz games help deepen the public's understanding of the history, development and current situation of the Dongjiang water supply in an interactive way. The public can also take photos with the cute WSD mascot named Father of Water Save Dave at the exhibition.

The first stop of the roving exhibition started today and will be held until January 19 in the covered piazza at Times Square, Causeway Bay. The exhibition is open from noon to 8pm. Admission is free. The next stop of the roving exhibition will be Domain, Yau Tong, from February 22 to March 2. In March, the WSD will arrange mobile exhibition vehicles to tour various districts across the city to widely spread relevant information to the public. Members of the public are most welcome to visit the exhibition.

WSD holds "Roving Exhibition on 60th Anniversary of Dongjiang Water Supply to Hong Kong" with first stop at Times Square  Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

WSD holds "Roving Exhibition on 60th Anniversary of Dongjiang Water Supply to Hong Kong" with first stop at Times Square Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

WSD holds "Roving Exhibition on 60th Anniversary of Dongjiang Water Supply to Hong Kong" with first stop at Times Square  Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

WSD holds "Roving Exhibition on 60th Anniversary of Dongjiang Water Supply to Hong Kong" with first stop at Times Square Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

WSD holds "Roving Exhibition on 60th Anniversary of Dongjiang Water Supply to Hong Kong" with first stop at Times Square  Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

WSD holds "Roving Exhibition on 60th Anniversary of Dongjiang Water Supply to Hong Kong" with first stop at Times Square Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

Hong Kong Customs detects two dangerous drugs cases and seizes suspected drugs worth about $7.95 million

Hong Kong Customs detected two dangerous drugs cases in Tseung Kwan O and Hong Kong International Airport respectively yesterday (May 21) and today (May 22), and seized a total of about 21.8 kilograms of assorted drugs with a total estimated market value of about $7.95 million. Two men and one woman, aged between 38 and 49, were arrested.

In the first case, Customs officers intercepted a 48-year-old man and a 49-year-old woman in Tseung Kwan O during an anti-narcotics operation yesterday afternoon. About 3.8kg of suspected drugs, including ketamine, methamphetamine, etomidate capsules, psilocybin mushrooms, MDMA and a batch of suspected drug packaging paraphernalia were found in their residence in the same district. They were then arrested.

In the second case, a 38-year-old male passenger arrived in Hong Kong from Amsterdam, the Netherlands, today. During customs clearance, Customs officers found about 18kg of suspected ketamine inside his check-in suitcase and 33 sticks of duty-not-paid cigarette inside his carry-on baggage. The man was subsequently arrested.

The arrested man and woman in the first case have been jointly charged with one count of trafficking in a dangerous drug and one count of possession of apparatus fit and intended for the inhalation of a dangerous drug. The case will be brought up at the Kwun Tong Magistrates' Courts tomorrow (May 23), while an investigation is ongoing for the second case.

Customs will continue to step up enforcement against drug trafficking activities through intelligence analysis. The department also reminds members of the public to stay alert and not participate in drug trafficking activities for monetary return. They must not accept hiring or delegation from another party to carry controlled items into and out of Hong Kong. They are also reminded not to carry unknown items for other people.

Customs will continue to apply a risk assessment approach and focus on selecting passengers from high-risk regions for clearance to combat transnational drug trafficking activities.

Under the Dangerous Drugs Ordinance, trafficking in a dangerous drug is a serious offence. The maximum penalty upon conviction is a fine of $5 million and life imprisonment.

Under the Dutiable Commodities Ordinance, cigarettes are dutiable goods to which the DCO applies. Any person who imports, deals with, possesses, sells or buys illicit cigarettes commits an offence. The maximum penalty upon conviction is a fine of $2 million and imprisonment for seven years.

Members of the public may report any suspected drug trafficking activities to Customs' 24-hour hotline 182 8080 or its dedicated crime-reporting email account (crimereport@customs.gov.hk) or online form (eform.cefs.gov.hk/form/ced002).

Hong Kong Customs detects two dangerous drugs cases and seizes suspected drugs worth about $7.95 million  Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

Hong Kong Customs detects two dangerous drugs cases and seizes suspected drugs worth about $7.95 million Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

Hong Kong Customs detects two dangerous drugs cases and seizes suspected drugs worth about $7.95 million  Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

Hong Kong Customs detects two dangerous drugs cases and seizes suspected drugs worth about $7.95 million Source: HKSAR Government Press Releases

Recommended Articles