The southern Chinese tech hub of Shenzhen is ramping up efforts to accelerate smart city construction with measures to foster artificial intelligence (AI) industry development.
In Shenzhen, along a stretch of sidewalk are 5G-powered streetlights which are mounted with LED screens, cameras, and microphones. The poles can give out voice alerts when there is illegal parking or littering, and can keep an eye on traffic, air quality, and noise levels.
Besides, the city's subway riders don't need a metro card or phone, but their face to make a payment. And there are self-service kiosks in subway stations, which use speech recognition, AI, and biometric tech to offer assistance to passengers.
The digital transformation of infrastructure is likely to speed up in Shenzhen, as the city, which is already home to over 2,000 AI companies, announced in December 2024 a slew of measures to build itself into a pioneer city for AI.
In a recent interview with the China Global Television Network (CGTN), a local official elaborated on the incentives Shenzhen has launched to encourage the development of AI sector in the city.
"The new measures are all about making computing, models and data more affordable for businesses. The next step is to lower AI deployment costs across industries. For example, 'model coupons' will help save on AI models, and the government is setting aside up to 50 million RMB each year to fund scalable AI solutions. In industrial sectors, up to 100 million RMB will go towards supporting AI-driven projects. When it comes to smart products, there's strong backing for AI hardware and software, like robots, AI PCs, and wearables, with rewards of up to three million RMB for top-selling products. To help startups, small businesses will get rent exemptions for six months to three years, along with full support in computing, data, funding and talent. Plus, the government is teaming up with private capital to create a trillion-RMB AI ecosystem and a 10-billion RMB fund for AI and robotics, all while providing comprehensive support for talent," said Lin Yi, director of Shenzhen Artificial Intelligence Industry Office.
China's tech hub trailblazing AI-powered smart city construction
Hungary and Slovakia announced a suspension of diesel exports to Ukraine on Wednesday.
Hungary has suspended diesel fuel deliveries to Ukraine with immediate effect and will not resume shipments until crude oil transit via the Druzhba pipeline is restored, said Peter Szijjarto, Hungarian Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
The suspension will remain in place until Ukraine restarts crude oil deliveries to Hungary through the pipeline, Szijjarto told a press conference following a government meeting.
According to the minister, crude oil transit was halted on Jan 27.
Hungary cannot be expected to guarantee another country's energy security while its own supply is put at risk, said Szijjarto.
He noted that energy cooperation must be based on respect, not pressure.
On the same day, Slovak Prime Minister Robert Fico said that the Bratislava-based Slovnaft refinery is halting its diesel exports to Ukraine, and all products will now be reserved for the domestic market.
Fico also warned that Slovakia would cut off power supplies to Ukraine if Kiev continues to sabotage the pipeline.
Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha had earlier said that the Druzhba pipeline was no longer carrying Russian oil to Europe because of a Russian attack. This meant a halt to oil supplies to Hungary and Slovakia, which haven't been resumed yet.
However, Hungary accused Ukraine of cutting off power to that part of the pipeline. Fico likewise accused Ukraine of deliberately delaying the pipeline's restart in an attempt to pressure Hungary into dropping its objections to Ukraine's EU accession.
The two countries have asked Croatia to permit Russian oil brought in by sea to transit across Croatian territory.
The Druzhba pipeline, which carries Russian oil through Ukraine to Central Europe, including the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary, has faced repeated disruptions since last year because of damage to energy infrastructure amid the ongoing Russia-Ukraine conflict.
On Wednesday, the Slovak government declared a state of emergency in relation to oil supplies, the News Agency of the Slovak Republic (TASR) reported.
The country will release up to 250,000 tons of oil from national reserves for the Slovnaft refinery, according to a government decision in response to the interruption of oil supplies via the Druzhba pipeline.
Hungary, Slovakia suspend diesel exports to Ukraine amid pipeline dispute