Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Harvard University sues Trump administration over funding freeze

News

News

News

Harvard University sues Trump administration over funding freeze

2025-04-22 16:27 Last Updated At:04-23 00:47

Harvard University said Monday that it has filed a federal lawsuit against the Trump administration's funding freeze, calling the action "unlawful and beyond the government's authority."

In a lawsuit filed in the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts, the university said that this case involves "the government's efforts to use the withholding of federal funding as leverage to gain control of academic decision making at Harvard."

More Images
Harvard University sues Trump administration over funding freeze

Harvard University sues Trump administration over funding freeze

Harvard University sues Trump administration over funding freeze

Harvard University sues Trump administration over funding freeze

Harvard University sues Trump administration over funding freeze

Harvard University sues Trump administration over funding freeze

Harvard University sues Trump administration over funding freeze

Harvard University sues Trump administration over funding freeze

Over the course of the past week, the federal government has taken several actions following Harvard's refusal to comply with its illegal demands, Harvard University President Alan M. Garber wrote in a letter to members of the Harvard Community.

A report by The New York Times said that the lawsuit "signaled a major escalation" of the ongoing fight between higher education and Trump, who has vowed to "reclaim" elite universities.

The administration has cast its campaign as a fight against antisemitism, but has also targeted programs and teaching related to racial diversity and gender issues, according to the report.

On April 11, Trump administration officials sent a letter to Harvard, demanding that the university make "meaningful governance reform and restructuring," noting that "an investment is not an entitlement."

On April 14, Harvard University rejected the Trump administration's demands to make sweeping changes to its governance, hiring and admissions practices. Just a few hours later, the Trump administration announced a freeze on 2.2 billion dollars in multi-year grants and 60 million in multi-year contract value to the university.

On April 16, U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem demanded that Harvard University share information about the foreign student visa holders' illegal and violent activities by April 30, or risk losing its authorization to enroll international students.

Since taking office in January, the Trump administration has issued warnings to several top U.S. universities, stating that they could face funding cuts if they do not adjust their policies.

The administration's main demands include eliminating what it describes as antisemitism on campus and dismantling diversity initiatives that favor certain minority groups.

Against the backdrop of the Israel-Palestine conflict, many universities across the United States saw a wave of pro-Palestinian protests last year, drawing increased government attention to alleged antisemitic sentiments on campuses.

Harvard University sues Trump administration over funding freeze

Harvard University sues Trump administration over funding freeze

Harvard University sues Trump administration over funding freeze

Harvard University sues Trump administration over funding freeze

Harvard University sues Trump administration over funding freeze

Harvard University sues Trump administration over funding freeze

Harvard University sues Trump administration over funding freeze

Harvard University sues Trump administration over funding freeze

The 32nd Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Ministers Responsible for Trade Meeting concluded in east China's Suzhou on Saturday, yielding fruitful results and laying significant groundwork for the APEC Economic Leaders' Meeting in November.

The trade ministers' meeting focused on "building an open and predictable regional and multilateral economic and trade order" and "fostering new engines of innovative and dynamic trade and investment cooperation."

Chinese Commerce Minister Wang Wentao briefed the media on the meeting's outcomes at a press conference.

Wang said the meeting issued a joint statement titled the Suzhou Statement, and approved the latest edition of the APEC Roadmap for Innovative, Competitive and Resilient Services.

All parties agreed to advance policy innovation and reform in services trade, build an open and predictable investment environment, improve regional trade facilitation and supply chain resilience, strengthen standards coordination, and enhance intellectual property protection, Wang told the media.

He also said that substantial progress was made on a framework document for regional digital trade cooperation and the ministers emphasized promoting inclusive AI development, strengthening AI-related trade, and bridging the digital divide to ensure shared benefits from digital transformation.

The minister noted that the outcomes of the meeting demonstrated strong cooperation willingness, highlighted an innovation-oriented approach, and reflected inclusiveness and shared benefits. "The fact that Asia-Pacific economies can come together, uphold the original aspiration of promoting trade and investment liberalization and facilitation while supporting economic growth and prosperity, and engage in in-depth discussions on the important issue of 'where multilateral and regional economic and trade cooperation is headed,' fully demonstrates that open regionalism and true multilateralism enjoy broad support, and that mutual success and shared development serve the fundamental interests of all economies," Wang said.

2026 APEC trade ministers' meeting concludes with fruitful results

2026 APEC trade ministers' meeting concludes with fruitful results

Recommended Articles