Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Families of Americans slain in the West Bank lose hope for justice

News

Families of Americans slain in the West Bank lose hope for justice
News

News

Families of Americans slain in the West Bank lose hope for justice

2025-07-26 19:22 Last Updated At:19:30

BIDDU, West Bank (AP) — When Sayfollah Musallet of Tampa, Florida, was beaten to death by Israeli settlers in the West Bank two weeks ago, he became the fourth Palestinian-American killed in the occupied territory since the war in Gaza began.

No one has been arrested or charged in Musallet’s slaying – and if Israel’s track record on the other three deaths is any guide, it seems unlikely to happen. Yet Musallet’s father and a growing number of U.S. politicians want to flip the script.

More Images
Memorial banners for Palestinian-American Sayfollah Musallet and Mohammed al-Shalabi, both killed by Israeli settlers, are displayed at a school in the West Bank town of Al Mazra as-Sharqiya, Monday, July 21, 2025. (AP Photo/Maya Alleruzzo)

Memorial banners for Palestinian-American Sayfollah Musallet and Mohammed al-Shalabi, both killed by Israeli settlers, are displayed at a school in the West Bank town of Al Mazra as-Sharqiya, Monday, July 21, 2025. (AP Photo/Maya Alleruzzo)

On Monday, July 21, 2025, a man tidies the graves of Palestinian-American Sayfollah Musallet, left, and Mohammed al-Shalabi, both of whom were killed by Israeli settlers in the West Bank town of Al Mazra as-Sharqiya. (AP Photo/Maya Alleruzzo)

On Monday, July 21, 2025, a man tidies the graves of Palestinian-American Sayfollah Musallet, left, and Mohammed al-Shalabi, both of whom were killed by Israeli settlers in the West Bank town of Al Mazra as-Sharqiya. (AP Photo/Maya Alleruzzo)

FILE - Mourners carry the bodies of Palestinian-American Sayfollah Musallet and Mohammed al-Shalabi during their funeral in the West Bank village of Al-Mazraa a-Sharqiya on Sunday, July 13, 2025. (AP Photo/Leo Correa, File)

FILE - Mourners carry the bodies of Palestinian-American Sayfollah Musallet and Mohammed al-Shalabi during their funeral in the West Bank village of Al-Mazraa a-Sharqiya on Sunday, July 13, 2025. (AP Photo/Leo Correa, File)

A memorial poster showing Palestinian-American Sayfollah Musallet, who was beaten to death by Israeli settlers, is displayed outside of a bakery in the West Bank town of Al Mazra as-Sharqiya, Monday, July 21, 2025. (AP Photo/Maya Alleruzzo)

A memorial poster showing Palestinian-American Sayfollah Musallet, who was beaten to death by Israeli settlers, is displayed outside of a bakery in the West Bank town of Al Mazra as-Sharqiya, Monday, July 21, 2025. (AP Photo/Maya Alleruzzo)

“We demand justice,” Kamel Musallet said at his 20-year-old son’s funeral earlier this week. “We demand the U.S. government do something about it.”

Still, Musallet and relatives of the other Palestinian-Americans say they doubt anyone will be held accountable, either by Israel or the U.S. They believe the first word in their hyphenated identity undercuts the power of the second. And they say Israel and its law enforcement have made them feel like culprits — by imposing travel bans and, in some cases, detaining and interrogating them.

Although the Trump administration has stopped short of promising investigations of its own, the U.S. Embassy in Jerusalem has urged Israel to investigate the circumstances of each American’s death.

Writing on X on July 15, U.S. Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee said he'd asked Israel to “aggressively investigate the murder" of Musallet and that "there must be accountability for this criminal and terrorist act."

Senator Chris Van Hollen of Maryland and 28 other Democratic senators have also called for an investigation. In a letter this week to Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Attorney General Pam Bondi, they pointed to the “repeated lack of accountability" after the deaths of Musallet and other Americans killed in the West Bank.

Israel’s military, police and Shin Bet domestic security agency did not respond to requests for comment about the Palestinian-Americans’ deaths.

American-born teenagers Tawfic Abdel Jabbar and Mohammad Khdour were killed in early 2024 by Israeli fire while driving in the West Bank. In April 2025, 14-year-old Amer Rabee, a New Jersey native, was shot in the head at least nine times by Israeli forces, according to his father, as he stood among a grove of green almond trees in his family’s village.

In the immediate aftermath of both cases, Israeli authorities said that forces had fired on rock throwers, allegations disputed by the families and by testimony obtained by the AP. Israel pledged to investigate the cases further, but has released no new findings.

The teens' families told the AP they sought independent investigations by American authorities, expressing doubts that Israel would investigate in good faith. According to the Israeli watchdog group Yesh Din, killings of Palestinians in the West Bank rarely result in investigations — and when they do, indictments are uncommon.

The U.S. Justice Department has jurisdiction to investigate the deaths of its own citizens abroad, but does so after it gets permission from the host government and usually works with the host country’s law enforcement. The U.S. Embassy in Jerusalem declined to say whether the U.S. has launched independent probes into the killings.

A spokesperson for the embassy said in a statement that investigations are “underway” in Israel over the deaths of the four Americans and that its staff is pressing the Israeli authorities to move quickly and transparently.

Sen. Van Hollen said that when the U.S deals with Israel it “either doesn’t pursue these cases with the vigor necessary, or we don’t get any serious cooperation.”

“And then instead of demanding cooperation and accountability, we sort of stop — and that’s unacceptable. It’s unacceptable to allow American citizens to be killed with impunity," the Maryland Democrat said.

Israel says it holds soldiers and settlers to account under the bounds of the law, and that the lack of indictments does not mean a lack of effort.

A prominent recent case was the death of Shireen Abu Akleh, a Palestinian-American journalist for broadcaster Al Jazeera killed in the West Bank in 2022. An independent U.S. analysis of the circumstances of her death found that fire from an Israeli soldier was “likely responsible” for her killing but said it appeared to be an accident.

Despite an Israeli military investigation with similar conclusions, no one was ever disciplined.

Violence by Israeli forces and settlers has flared in the West Bank since the Hamas attack on Oct. 7, 2023. More than 950 Palestinians have been killed since the beginning of the war in Gaza, according to the United Nations. Some have been militants killed in fighting with Israel, though the dead have also included stone-throwers and bystanders uninvolved in violence.

Rather than a path toward justice, the families of Khdour, Rabee, and Abdel Jabbar say they’ve faced only challenges since the deaths.

Khdour, born in Miami, Florida, was shot and killed in April 2024 while driving in Biddu, a West Bank town near Jerusalem where he lived since age 2. U.S. investigators visited his family after the killing, his family said. Abdel Jabbar was killed while driving down a dirt road close to Al Mazra as-Sharqiya, his village in the northern West Bank.

Khdour's cousin, Malek Mansour, the sole witness, told the AP he was questioned by both Israeli and American investigators and repeated his testimony that shots came from a white pickup on Israeli territory.

He believes the investigators did not push hard enough to figure out who killed his cousin.

“The matter ended like many of those who were martyred (killed),” said Hanan Khdour, Khdour's mother.

Two months after the death, Israeli forces raided the family’s home and detained Mohammad’s brother, Omar Khdour, 23, also an American citizen.

Videos taken by family and shared with the AP show Omar Khdour blindfolded and handcuffed as Israeli soldiers in riot gear lead him out of the building and into a military jeep.

He said he was threatened during questioning, held from 4 a.m. to 3 p.m., and warned not to pursue the case.

Omar Khdour said Israeli soldiers at checkpoints have prevented him from leaving the West Bank to visit Israel or Jerusalem. Two other American fathers of Palestinian-Americans killed since Oct. 7, 2023 reported similar restrictions.

Hafeth Abdel Jabbar, Tawfic Abdel Jabbar's father, said he and his wife were blocked from leaving the West Bank for seven months. His son, Amir Abdel Jabbar, 22, remains restricted.

The father of Amer Rabee says he and his wife have also been stuck in the West Bank since their son’s killing. He showed AP emails from the U.S. Embassy in Jerusalem in which a consular official told him that Israel had imposed a travel ban on him, though it was unclear why.

Israeli authorities did not respond to comment on the detentions or travel restrictions.

Rabee said that in a land where violence against Palestinians goes unchecked, his family's American passports amounted to nothing more than a blue book.

“We are all American citizens,” Rabee said. “But here, for us, being American means nothing."

Memorial banners for Palestinian-American Sayfollah Musallet and Mohammed al-Shalabi, both killed by Israeli settlers, are displayed at a school in the West Bank town of Al Mazra as-Sharqiya, Monday, July 21, 2025. (AP Photo/Maya Alleruzzo)

Memorial banners for Palestinian-American Sayfollah Musallet and Mohammed al-Shalabi, both killed by Israeli settlers, are displayed at a school in the West Bank town of Al Mazra as-Sharqiya, Monday, July 21, 2025. (AP Photo/Maya Alleruzzo)

On Monday, July 21, 2025, a man tidies the graves of Palestinian-American Sayfollah Musallet, left, and Mohammed al-Shalabi, both of whom were killed by Israeli settlers in the West Bank town of Al Mazra as-Sharqiya. (AP Photo/Maya Alleruzzo)

On Monday, July 21, 2025, a man tidies the graves of Palestinian-American Sayfollah Musallet, left, and Mohammed al-Shalabi, both of whom were killed by Israeli settlers in the West Bank town of Al Mazra as-Sharqiya. (AP Photo/Maya Alleruzzo)

FILE - Mourners carry the bodies of Palestinian-American Sayfollah Musallet and Mohammed al-Shalabi during their funeral in the West Bank village of Al-Mazraa a-Sharqiya on Sunday, July 13, 2025. (AP Photo/Leo Correa, File)

FILE - Mourners carry the bodies of Palestinian-American Sayfollah Musallet and Mohammed al-Shalabi during their funeral in the West Bank village of Al-Mazraa a-Sharqiya on Sunday, July 13, 2025. (AP Photo/Leo Correa, File)

A memorial poster showing Palestinian-American Sayfollah Musallet, who was beaten to death by Israeli settlers, is displayed outside of a bakery in the West Bank town of Al Mazra as-Sharqiya, Monday, July 21, 2025. (AP Photo/Maya Alleruzzo)

A memorial poster showing Palestinian-American Sayfollah Musallet, who was beaten to death by Israeli settlers, is displayed outside of a bakery in the West Bank town of Al Mazra as-Sharqiya, Monday, July 21, 2025. (AP Photo/Maya Alleruzzo)

NEW YORK (AP) — Kamala Harris “wrote off rural America" during the 2024 presidential campaign and failed to attack Donald Trump with sufficient “negative firepower," according to a long-awaited post-election autopsy released on Thursday by the Democratic National Committee.

The committee's chair, Ken Martin, shared the 192-page report only after facing intense internal pressure from frustrated Democratic operatives concerned with his leadership. Martin had originally promised to release the autopsy, only to keep it under wraps for months because he was concerned it would be a distraction ahead of the midterms as Democrats mobilize to take back control of Congress.

On Tuesday, Martin apologized for his handling of the situation and conceded that the report was withheld because it “was not ready for primetime."

Although the autopsy criticizes Democrats' focus on “identity politics,” it sidesteps some of the most controversial elements of the 2024 campaign. The report does not address former President Joe Biden’s decision to seek reelection, the rushed selection of Harris to replace him on the ticket or the party's acrimonious divide over the war in Gaza.

“I am not proud of this product; it does not meet my standards, and it won’t meet your standards,” Martin wrote in an essay on Substack on Thursday. “I don’t endorse what’s in this report, or what’s left out of it. I could not in good faith put the DNC’s stamp of approval on it. But transparency is paramount.”

A spokesperson for Harris did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The initial reaction from Democratic operatives was a mix of bafflement and anger over Martin's handling of the situation.

“Why not say this in 2024, or bring in more people to finish it, instead of turning this into the dumbest media cycle for 7-8 months?” Democratic strategist Steve Schale wrote on social media.

The postelection report, which was authored by Democratic consultant Paul Rivera, calls for “a renewed focus on the voters of Middle America and the South, who have come to believe they are not included in the Democratic vision of a stronger and more dynamic America for everyone.”

“Millions of Americans are suffering from poor access to healthcare, manufacturing and job losses, and a failing infrastructure, yet continue to be persuaded to vote against their best interests because they do not see themselves reflected in the America of the Democratic Party,” the report says.

The autopsy points to a reduction in support and training for Democratic state parties, voter registration shifts and “a persistent inability or unwillingness to listen to all voters.”

Thursday's release comes as Martin confronts a crisis of confidence among party officials who are increasingly concerned about the health of their political machine barely a year into his term. Some Democratic operatives have had informal discussions about recruiting a new chair, even though most believe that Martin’s job wasn't in serious jeopardy ahead of the midterm elections.

The report found that Harris and her allies failed to focus enough on Trump's negatives, especially his felony convictions. This was part of a broader criticism that Democrats' messaging is too focused on reason and winning arguments, “even in cycles when the electorate is defined by rage.”

“There was a decision in the 2024 Democratic leadership not to engage in negative advertising at the scale required,” the report states. “The Trump campaign and supportive Super PACs went full throttle against Vice President Harris, but there was not sufficient or similar negative firepower directed at Trump by Democrats.”

The report continues: “It was essential to prosecute a more effective case as to why Trump should have been disqualified from ever again taking office. The grounds were there, but the messaging did not make the case.”

Trump's attack on Harris' transgender policies were cited as a key contrast.

Specifically, the report suggested the Democratic nominee was “boxed” in by the Trump campaign's “very effective” ad that highlighted Harris' previous statement of support for taxpayer-funded gender-affirming surgeries for prison inmates.

Democratic pollsters believed that “if the Vice President would not change her position – and she did not – then there was nothing which would have worked as a response," the report said.

The report criticized Harris' outreach to key segments of America while condemning the party's focus on “identity politics.”

“Harris wrote off rural America, assuming urban/suburban margins would compensate. The math doesn’t work,” the report says. “You can’t lose rural areas by overwhelming margins and make it up elsewhere when rural voters are a significant share of the electorate. If Democrats are to reclaim leadership in the Heartland or the South, candidates must perform well in rural turf. Show up, listen, and then do it again.”

The report also references Democrats' underperformance with male voters of color.

“Male voters require direct engagement. The gender gap can be narrowed. Deploy male messengers, address economic concerns, and don’t assume identity politics will hold male voters of color,” it says.

President Donald Trump speaks during an event about loosening a federal refrigerant rule, in the Oval Office at the White House, Thursday, May 21, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

President Donald Trump speaks during an event about loosening a federal refrigerant rule, in the Oval Office at the White House, Thursday, May 21, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

Former Vice President Kamala Harris speaks during a fireside chat on Thursday, May 7, 2026, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/Ty ONeil)

Former Vice President Kamala Harris speaks during a fireside chat on Thursday, May 7, 2026, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/Ty ONeil)

FILE - Democratic National Committee chair Ken Martin speaks during an interview with The Associated Press at DNC headquarters, Jan. 12, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Allison Robbert, File)

FILE - Democratic National Committee chair Ken Martin speaks during an interview with The Associated Press at DNC headquarters, Jan. 12, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Allison Robbert, File)

Recommended Articles