Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

China's highest-altitude hydropower station starts operation

China

China

China

China's highest-altitude hydropower station starts operation

2025-12-27 17:23 Last Updated At:21:17

The Yebatan Hydropower Station, the highest-altitude hyperbolic arch dam project under construction in China and a key project under the country's 14th Five-Year Plan (2021-2025), has officially started generating electricity with its first two power generation units coming online on Saturday.

This milestone marks significant progress in the development of the integrated "hydro-solar-wind" energy base along the upper reaches of the Jinsha River, the upper section of the Yangtze River, China's longest river.

Located at an elevation of 2,894 meters on the Jinsha River, the Yebatan Hydropower Station straddles Baiyu County in southwest China's Sichuan Province and Gongjue County in the neighboring Xizang Autonomous Region.

With a total installed capacity of 2.24 gigawatts, it is the largest hydropower station that has been commissioned in the upper reaches of the Jinsha River.

The project confronted a range of engineering challenges during construction, including high altitude, extreme cold, a towering arch dam, high ground stress, high burial depth, and a large-span underground powerhouse.

After nearly a decade of construction, the station successfully delivered its first kilowatt-hour of green electricity.

A major technical breakthrough during construction was the development of winter concrete pouring techniques suited to the plateau environment. For the first time in the industry, engineers achieved uninterrupted year-round concrete placement for a high-altitude arch dam.

Moreover, they extracted a 38.1-meter-long concrete core sample, the longest ever recorded in a dam project, providing valuable technical experience for future hydropower development in plateau regions.

"When fully operational, the station will be able to transmit the clean electricity it generated via a ±800 kV direct current transmission line from the upper reaches of the Jinsha River to Hubei Province in central China," said Xia Yong, chief engineer of the Yebatan Hydropower Station project at the state-owned China Huadian Corporation.

China's highest-altitude hydropower station starts operation

China's highest-altitude hydropower station starts operation

The hantavirus outbreak linked to the cruise ship, MV Hondius, has now reached 12 confirmed cases, with three reported deaths, World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Friday.

Speaking at a press briefing in Geneva, Tedros said the Netherlands had confirmed an additional case involving a crew member who disembarked in Tenerife, Spain, was repatriated to the Netherlands and has been isolating since then.

No deaths have been reported since May 2, when the outbreak was first reported to WHO, said Tedros.

He urged the affected countries to continue carefully monitoring all passengers and crew members for the remainder of the quarantine period.

More than 600 contacts continue to be followed in 30 countries, and a small number of high-risk contacts are still being located, according to the WHO chief.

He also thanked the countries cooperating in the international response and epidemiological investigation.

The cruise, operated by Oceanwide Expeditions, departed from Argentina on April 1, carrying around 150 passengers and crew members from more than 20 countries.

The ship arrived at the Dutch port city of Rotterdam on Monday for disinfection, ending a voyage that had drawn the attention of international health authorities over hantavirus infections on board.

Hantavirus cases linked to cruise ship rise to 12 after crew member tests positive: WHO

Hantavirus cases linked to cruise ship rise to 12 after crew member tests positive: WHO

Recommended Articles