Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Hamas accuses Israel of violating Rafah crossing operational mechanisms

HotTV

HotTV

HotTV

Hamas accuses Israel of violating Rafah crossing operational mechanisms

2026-02-17 11:55 Last Updated At:13:08

Hamas on Monday accused Israel of committing a "blatant violation" of the agreed mechanisms for operating the Rafah crossing, which were stipulated in the ongoing ceasefire agreement.

In a press statement, the movement said that despite the reopening of the crossing in both directions, Israel has violated its operational framework and carried out systematic abuses against Palestinians returning to Gaza, including physical and psychological mistreatment and harsh interrogation.

According to Hamas, Israel has failed to adhere to daily quotas for those exiting or entering Gaza, endangering thousands of patients and wounded individuals with medical referrals abroad.

It urged mediators and guarantor states to intervene and compel Israel to open the crossing in accordance with international humanitarian law.

The office of the Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories (COGAT), a body under Israel's Defense Ministry, said Sunday that about 320 patients and escorts had exited Gaza through the crossing over the past two weeks, and a similar number of people had entered the enclave during this period.

"Gazans passing through the Rafah crossing are contingent upon the submission of approved passenger lists by the Egyptian authorities and the World Health Organization and the crossing's capacity," COGAT said on social media, claiming that Israel continues to "facilitate the entry and exit of Gazans" through the crossing "in line with the agreed framework".

The Rafah crossing had remained largely closed since Israeli forces seized control of it in May 2024, worsening Gaza's humanitarian situation. Its limited operation resumed on Feb. 2 under the latest ceasefire agreement taking effect on Oct. 10, 2025.

Hamas accuses Israel of violating Rafah crossing operational mechanisms

Hamas accuses Israel of violating Rafah crossing operational mechanisms

British Prime Minister Keir Starmer on Monday pledged to accelerate defense spending increase to three percent of national economic output by 2029, meeting an existing target earlier than planned.

Starmer said the UK's defense spending plans depend on coordination and cooperation with "like-minded countries, particularly in Europe."

The Labor Party leader has sought to improve ties with the European Union since taking office in 2024 as Brexit has strained relations with European allies.

At the Munich Security Conference on Saturday, Starmer urged Europe to "be ready to fight". He emphasized that "we are not the Britain of the Brexit years anymore," adding that "there is no British security without Europe, and no European security without Britain."

Last year, the UK announced to lift annual defense expenditure to 2.5 percent of gross domestic product by 2027, with an ambition to reach 3 percent by 2029.

British PM pledges to boost defense spending to 3 percent of GDP

British PM pledges to boost defense spending to 3 percent of GDP

Recommended Articles