Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Riviera has a long history and a long par 3 for Genesis Invitational

Sport

Riviera has a long history and a long par 3 for Genesis Invitational
Sport

Sport

Riviera has a long history and a long par 3 for Genesis Invitational

2026-02-19 07:02 Last Updated At:07:21

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Riviera has evolved over its 100 years as one of the best golf courses in America, no greater example than the fourth hole that now has a scorecard yardage of 273 yards that makes it the longest par 3 among regular PGA Tour stops.

Not everyone likes the change, or has been willing to publicly say they do.

“A horrible change,” Rory McIlroy said, the most blunt assessment of the hole Ben Hogan once called the greatest par 3 in America.

“Hit and hope,” Collin Morikawa said. “I think it’s just a very long par 3. There’s not a lot of thought to it other than just kind of hitting the green and moving on, unfortunately.”

The other change for the Genesis Invitational, which starts Thursday, is adding 24 yards on the 18th tee — now roughly where the fourth tee used to be — to make it 499 yards.

Someone forgot to tell Scottie Scheffler, or maybe he never looked. He didn't realize the closing hole at Riviera had been lengthened until he climbed the steep hill to the fairway and wondered why he was having to hit a 4-iron to the green.

What hasn't changed at Riviera is the history. Hogan won three times, including the U.S. Open, leading to the nickname “Hogan's Alley.” Byron Nelson and Sam Snead won at Riviera, as did Tom Watson and Johnny Miller and Fred Couples.

McIlroy has Riviera on his list of places he wants to win, now that he has won at Augusta National and Pebble Beach.

Equally noteworthy is who didn't win. Tiger Woods, the tournament host of the Genesis Invitational, went 0 for 11 as a pro at Riviera, making it the PGA Tour course he played the most times without ever winning.

Jack Nicklaus has Woods beat again. He played Riviera 14 times — twice in majors, including a runner-up to Hal Sutton in the 1983 PGA Championship — without winning.

“There’s places I haven’t won that I would love to, St. Andrews being one of them. Riviera would be another,” McIlroy said.

This is the 100-year anniversary of the club and the tournament, though what began as the Los Angeles Open was not held at Riviera until 1929. Even more special is just being back at the fabled course off Sunset Boulevard following the devastating Pacific Palisades wildfires last year that led the tournament to moving south to Torrey Pines.

Ludvig Aberg won the Genesis Invitational a year ago at Torrey Pines. This is only his second time competing at Riviera, but he liked what he saw from 2024.

“I think it’s one of the best golf courses we play all year,” Aberg said. "Obviously it’s a small property. It’s not crazy long. You’ll have some strong holes and some longer par 4s. But what I like about it is a hole like No. 10 kind of puts the stamp on this golf course in terms of working the angles, fast greens, and everything going down towards the ocean is really quick and you have to place your second shots into the greens.

“That’s the part about this golf course that I really like, and that’s why you’ll see a lot of different good players winning here.”

The par-4 10th is the most famous hole, reachable off the tee and yet no one ever complains about making a 4 and moving on to the next hole. It's all about angles off the tee with an iron, and even where to miss when trying to drive the green.

As for the fourth hole, that was long and hard, and now it appears to be longer and harder.

The idea for his Redan-styled hole is to carry the bunker fronting the green, or using the shoulder on the right that feeds down to the green — except this is February, cold and usually damp, and the kikuyu grass can be sticky and not allow balls to roll.

This would explain McIlroy's definition of “horrible change.”

“Well, like 15% of the field hit the green last time when it was played at its original yardage at 230,” he said. "If you want it to be a 275-yard par 3, you have to change the apron leading up onto the green. It can’t be kikuyu, it has to be another type of grass that can help you run it onto the green because again, in the right conditions, you try to fly that ball on the green with a 3 iron, it’s going to finish up on the fifth tee box.

“That’s sort of what I mean by why it’s not a great change.”

U.S. Open champion J.J. Spaun might borrow a page from his college coach at San Diego State.

“If this was a par 4, you’d make 3 every time,” Spaun said. “You know what I mean? It’s kind of a mindset. If this was a drivable 290-yard hole but really a par 4 and you didn’t walk away with a birdie, you’d be kicking yourself.”

AP golf: https://apnews.com/hub/golf

Collin Morikawa reacts after making a birdie putt on the 18th hole at Pebble Beach Golf Links during the final round of the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am golf tournament in Pebble Beach, Calif., Sunday, Feb. 15, 2026. (AP Photo/Godofredo A. Vásquez)

Collin Morikawa reacts after making a birdie putt on the 18th hole at Pebble Beach Golf Links during the final round of the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am golf tournament in Pebble Beach, Calif., Sunday, Feb. 15, 2026. (AP Photo/Godofredo A. Vásquez)

Scottie Scheffler reacts after putting on the 17th hole at Pebble Beach Golf Links during the final round of the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am golf tournament in Pebble Beach, Calif., Sunday, Feb. 15, 2026. (AP Photo/Godofredo A. Vásquez)

Scottie Scheffler reacts after putting on the 17th hole at Pebble Beach Golf Links during the final round of the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am golf tournament in Pebble Beach, Calif., Sunday, Feb. 15, 2026. (AP Photo/Godofredo A. Vásquez)

Rory McIlroy, from Northern Ireland, hits toward the second fairway at Pebble Beach Golf Links during the final round of the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am golf tournament in Pebble Beach, Calif., Sunday, Feb. 15, 2026. (AP Photo/Godofredo A. Vásquez)

Rory McIlroy, from Northern Ireland, hits toward the second fairway at Pebble Beach Golf Links during the final round of the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am golf tournament in Pebble Beach, Calif., Sunday, Feb. 15, 2026. (AP Photo/Godofredo A. Vásquez)

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump hosted a White House reception for Black History Month on Wednesday, less than two weeks after he sparked a bipartisan outcry by posting a racist video on social media that depicted former President Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle Obama, as primates in a jungle.

Trump on Wednesday didn't reference the video, which he deleted after a widespread backlash but said he won't apologize for posting. He also did not reference Barack Obama, the nation's first Black president, but spoke of other history-making Black Americans.

“We celebrate Black History Month. We honor the memory of those who came before us by continuing their legacy,” he said.

Trump name-checked prominent Black Americans among his supporters, including boxer Mike Tyson, whom Trump praised for defending him against accusations of racism, and rapper Nicki Minaj, whose skin he praised as “so beautiful” while commenting on how long her fingernails were.

The Republican president brought onstage several members of his administration, including Housing and Urban Development Secretary Scott Turner and White House pardon czar Alice Marie Johnson.

“As you look out upon this sea of Black Americans, this president hears you. This president cares for you. Don’t let anyone tell you that this president right here, Donald Trump has not — is not for Black America," Johnson said. “Because he is.”

Trump listed ways he said his policies benefited Black Americans, including the law he signed last year eliminating federal income taxes on tips and his deployment of National Guard troops “to bring back safety” in cities with large populations of Black residents, such as Washington, New Orleans and Memphis, Tennessee.

The reception came the day after Trump proclaimed in another social media post that he has been “falsely and consistently called a Racist by the Scoundrels and Lunatics on the Radical Left,” in a message that was meant to pay tribute to the Rev. Jesse Jackson, who died Tuesday.

In response to a question about the post, White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said earlier Wednesday: “There is a lot this president has done for all Americans, regardless of race. And he has absolutely been falsely called and smeared as a racist."

Trump has long recognized Black History Month as president, but his policies and rhetoric while in office often contradict celebrations of diversity and the contributions of Black Americans.

Trump has targeted the diversity, equity and inclusion programs that helped many Black Americans find jobs in both the federal government and a variety of private industries over the last several decades. He has called DEI programs “discrimination,” and he has pushed to eradicate them from the government and put pressure on the private sector to do the same.

At the same time, Trump has painted himself as champion of historically Black colleges and universities. The White House on Wednesday highlighted the Trump administration’s move last year to steer $500 million to HBCUs. The one-time boost largely came from federal money taken away from colleges serving large shares of Hispanic students. The award for HBCUs came days after the Education Department pulled $350 million from other grant programs targeting colleges with certain percentages of Hispanic students and other minority groups. The Trump administration said those grant programs were unconstitutional.

Trump began his second term by claiming some African American history lessons are meant to indoctrinate people into hating the country. He issued an executive order “restoring truth and sanity to American history,” which the administration used to scrub historical information from national parks that “inappropriately disparage Americans past or living,” including Black history markers.

Shortly after beginning his second term, Trump issued a proclamation recognizing February as Black History Month as the Defense Department was declaring that official resources will no longer be used to mark cultural awareness months.

The White House’s Black History Month reception last year was also held in the wake of another executive order that ended the federal government’s diversity, equity and inclusion programs.

Associated Press writers Collin Binkley in Washington and Graham Brewer in Norman, Oklahoma, contributed to this report.

President Donald Trump speaks during a Black History Month event in the East Room of the White House, Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

President Donald Trump speaks during a Black History Month event in the East Room of the White House, Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

President Donald Trump and Housing and Urban Development Secretary Scott Turner, right, listen as former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Dr. Ben Carson speaks during a Black History Month event in the East Room of the White House, Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

President Donald Trump and Housing and Urban Development Secretary Scott Turner, right, listen as former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Dr. Ben Carson speaks during a Black History Month event in the East Room of the White House, Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

President Donald Trump speaks during a Black History Month event in the East Room of the White House, Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Nathan Howard)

President Donald Trump speaks during a Black History Month event in the East Room of the White House, Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Nathan Howard)

President Donald Trump speaks as White House pardon czar Alice Johnson listens during a Black History Month event in the East Room of the White House, Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Nathan Howard)

President Donald Trump speaks as White House pardon czar Alice Johnson listens during a Black History Month event in the East Room of the White House, Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Nathan Howard)

Recommended Articles