Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

UN calls Epstein case crimes against humanity with global investigations continue

China

China

China

UN calls Epstein case crimes against humanity with global investigations continue

2026-02-19 11:57 Last Updated At:12:37

The United Nations Human Rights Council has stated that the Jeffrey Epstein case may rise to the level of crimes against humanity, as justice departments in the United States, the United Kingdom and France continued pursuing separate investigations.

An independent panel of experts appointed by the UN Human Rights Council said on Monday that the documents made public in the case, or the so-called 'Epstein Files,' suggests the existence of a global criminal enterprise committing systematic and large-scale sexual abuse, trafficking, and exploitation of women and girls.

Many of its criminal activities have met the legal threshold of crimes against humanity and require independent, thorough, and impartial investigation, the experts noted.

"So grave is the scale, nature, systematic character, and transnational reach of these atrocities against women and girls, that a number of them may reasonably meet the legal threshold of crimes against humanity," the experts noted in the statement.

The panel said it "shocked the conscience of humanity" that those implicated were able to act with impunity, stressing that resignations of implicated individuals alone are not an adequate substitute for criminal accountability, and that all allegations in the case files require independent, comprehensive, and impartial scrutiny.

On Tuesday, the New Mexico State Legislature launched an independent probe on Epstein case. Some victims have identified a ranch in the state, which was purchased by Epstein in 1993 from then-Governor Bruce King, as a site of sexual abuse like his private island.

According to a Reuters report, the Epstein Files had revealed his contact with two former New Mexico governors and a state attorney general.

In the UK, Essex Police said on Tuesday they are reviewing newly released documents referencing private flights linked to Epstein that passed through London Stansted Airport. A BBC investigation last December found that nearly 90 private flights associated with Epstein had operated through British airports, with some carrying British women who later alleged abuse.

AFP reported that Paris prosecutor Laure Beccuau on Wednesday made public appeal for victims to come forward with further evidence. Following the latest disclosure of the Epstein Files, French jurisdiction have opened a broad investigation into potential offenses involving individuals in France, and the prosecutor has verified investigations into a diplomat, a modeling agent and a musician.

A disgraced former financier and one of the most notorious sex offenders in recent decades, Epstein maintained close ties with prominent figures in U.S. political and business circles. He was convicted in 2008 of soliciting prostitution from a minor, arrested again in July 2019 on federal sex trafficking charges, and died in jail the following month, with authorities ruling his death a suicide.

Allegations that he possessed a "client list" used to blackmail high-profile figures, and that his death may not have been a suicide, have circulated widely.

The White House has previously said that after the Department of Justice released the remaining batch of the so-called Epstein Files, totaling some 3 million pages, the United States should focus on other matters. The stance has disappointed many Americans, with multiple U.S. media reporting that the case continues to undermine public trust in government institutions.

UN calls Epstein case crimes against humanity with global investigations continue

UN calls Epstein case crimes against humanity with global investigations continue

UN calls Epstein case crimes against humanity with global investigations continue

UN calls Epstein case crimes against humanity with global investigations continue

The White House on Wednesday declined to set a deadline for the U.S.-Iran nuclear talks, saying Iran is expected to present more details on its negotiating position within weeks.

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said at a daily briefing that "diplomacy is always his (President Donald Trump's) first option," and there are "many reasons and arguments that one could make for a strike against Iran."

Leavitt declined to set a deadline for the talks between the two countries, saying that she is not going to "set deadlines on behalf of the president of the United States."

U.S. Vice President JD Vance said on Tuesday that the talks showed some positive signs but key U.S. red lines remain unmet.

A Trump adviser said the White House is moving closer to possible military actions, estimating a "90 percent chance" of strikes within weeks if talks fail, U.S. online outlet Axios reported Tuesday.

Any U.S. operation could involve a large-scale, weeks-long campaign, potentially conducted jointly with Israel, targeting Iran's nuclear and missile programs and posing a major threat to Iran's leadership, said the report, quoting sources familiar with the matter.

The USNI News, a news service of the Naval Institute, reported on Tuesday that the USS Gerald R. Ford and its escorts are crossing the Atlantic and heading for the Strait of Gibraltar, marking the second carrier strike group dispatched by the U.S. to the vicinity of Iran.

Earlier reports by U.S. media indicated that the Gerald R. Ford had been ordered to move from the Caribbean to the Middle East. Previously, the USS Abraham Lincoln arrived in the Middle East in early January and is now confirmed to be in the Arabian Sea off Oman.

Meanwhile, Israel is on heightened alert and assessing that a confrontation with Iran could begin "soon," state broadcaster Kan reported Wednesday, citing senior Israeli officials.

The report said Israel is maintaining a high level of readiness amid the possibility of a near-term U.S. strike on Iran, estimating that if launched, such an operation could develop into a weeks-long campaign.

Officials said Trump appears closer to launching a large-scale confrontation in the Middle East, and that Israel is preparing for a scenario in which fighting could break out "possibly within days."

Additionally, a pre-scheduled meeting of Israel's security cabinet was postponed from Thursday to Sunday, a government official said, amid heightened tensions between Iran and the United States and a U.S. military buildup in the region.

Iran and the United States concluded the second round of indirect nuclear talks in Geneva on Tuesday. The negotiations, held at Oman's embassy in the Swiss city, were mediated by Omani Foreign Minister Sayyid Badr bin Hamad bin Hamood Albusaidi. The first round of indirect talks took place in the Omani capital of Muscat on Feb. 6.

White House declines to set deadline for U.S.-Iran talks

White House declines to set deadline for U.S.-Iran talks

White House declines to set deadline for U.S.-Iran talks

White House declines to set deadline for U.S.-Iran talks

Recommended Articles