Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

New Trump administration order could lead to the detention of thousands of legal refugees

News

New Trump administration order could lead to the detention of thousands of legal refugees
News

News

New Trump administration order could lead to the detention of thousands of legal refugees

2026-02-20 02:07 Last Updated At:02:10

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The Trump administration has issued a sweeping new order that could lead to the arrest of tens of thousands of refugees who are lawfully in the United States but do not yet have permanent residency, overturning years of legal and immigration safeguards.

A memo filed by the Department of Homeland Security ahead of a Thursday federal court hearing in Minnesota says refugees applying for green cards must return to federal custody one year after they were admitted to the U.S. for review of their applications.

DHS “may maintain custody for the duration of the inspection and examination process,” said the memo, which was filed Wednesday.

Advocacy and resettlement groups slammed the order, which will likely face legal challenges and could sow confusion and fear among the nearly 200,000 refugees who came to the United States during the Biden administration.

The order, first reported on by The Washington Post, is the latest in a series of immigration restrictions by the Trump administration, which has upended longstanding policies toward refugees, including dramatically reducing the numbers of those admitted into the country. A memo obtained by The Associated Press late last year said the administration was planning a review of all refugees admitted to the U.S. during the Biden administration, and immediately suspended green card approvals for refugees who arrived during those years.

The administration has cited national security and economic concerns for its changed policies. Experts say refugees let into the country already undergo extensive vetting.

The order came hours before U.S. District Judge John Tunheim was to hear arguments Thursday on whether he should extend a temporary order that protects Minnesota refugees who are lawfully in the U.S. from being arrested and deported. Tunheim's order currently applies only in Minnesota.

Immigration advocates quickly pushed back against the new policy, with HIAS, an international Jewish nonprofit serving refugees and asylum-seekers, calling it “a transparent effort to detain and potentially deport thousands of people who are legally present in this country, people the U.S. government itself welcomed.”

“They were promised safety and the chance to rebuild their lives. Instead, DHS is now threatening them with arrest and indefinite detention," Beth Oppenheim, the group's CEO, said in a statement.

Tunheim blocked the government from targeting the Minnesota refugees last month, saying the plaintiffs in the case were likely to prevail on their claims “that their arrest and detention, and the policy that purports to justify them, are unlawful.” His Jan. 28 temporary restraining order will expire Feb. 25 unless he grants a more permanent preliminary injunction.

The judge rejected the government’s claim that it had the legal right to arrest and detain refugees who haven’t obtained their green cards within a year of arriving in the U.S.

“Mandating detention would lead to an illogical result,” Tunheim wrote, since refugees can’t even apply for green cards until they’ve been in the U.S. for a year. The government's interpretation, he said, means nearly all refugees would face detention unless immigration officials conducted their review at exactly the one-year mark, which he called “nonsensical.”

Refugee rights groups sued the federal government in January after the Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services in mid-December launched Operation PARRIS, an acronym for Post-Admission Refugee Reverification and Integrity Strengthening.

It was billed as a “sweeping initiative” to reexamine the cases of 5,600 Minnesota refugees who had not yet been granted permanent resident status, also known as green cards. The agencies cited fraud in public programs in Minnesota as justification.

Operation PARRIS was part of the Trump administration's broader immigration crackdown that targeted Minnesota, including the surge of thousands of federal officers into the state. Homeland Security said it was its largest immigration enforcement operation ever. It also sparked mass protests after federal agents shot and killed Renee Good and Alex Pretti. White House border czar Tom Homan announced last week the surge was ending, though a small federal presence would remain.

The lawsuit alleges that ICE officers went door to door under Operation PARRIS arresting refugees and sending them to detention centers in Texas, without access to attorneys. Some were later released on the streets of Texas and left to find their own way back to Minnesota, they said.

Tunheim noted in his order that refugees are extensively vetted by multiple agencies before being resettled in the U.S. He wrote that none arrested in the operation had been deemed a danger to the community or a flight risk, nor had any been charged with crimes that could be grounds for deportation.

The judge cited several cases involving plaintiffs named in the lawsuit, including one man identified only as U.H.A., a refugee with no criminal history. He was admitted into the U.S. in 2024 and was arrested by ICE while driving to work on Jan. 18 this year. “He was pulled over, ordered out of his car, handcuffed, and detained, without a warrant or apparent justification,” the judge wrote.

Tunheim stressed that the refugees impacted by his order were admitted into the U.S. because of persecution in their home countries. He prohibited further arrests under Operation PARRIS and ordered that all detainees still in custody from it be released and returned to Minnesota.

“They are not committing crimes on our streets, nor did they illegally cross the border. Refugees have a legal right to be in the United States, a right to work, a right to live peacefully — and importantly, a right not to be subjected to the terror of being arrested and detained without warrants or cause in their homes or on their way to religious services or to buy groceries,” he wrote.

“At its best, America serves as a haven of individual liberties in a world too often full of tyranny and cruelty. We abandon that ideal when we subject our neighbors to fear and chaos,” he continued.

In a follow-up order Feb. 9, Tunheim rejected a government motion to lift the temporary restraining order.

Hundreds of people attend a rally in the rotunda of the Minnesota State Capitol in St. Paul, Minn., Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2026, to urge leaders to support economic recovery in the wake of the Trump administration's immigration crackdown in the state. (AP Photo/Steve Karnowski)

Hundreds of people attend a rally in the rotunda of the Minnesota State Capitol in St. Paul, Minn., Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2026, to urge leaders to support economic recovery in the wake of the Trump administration's immigration crackdown in the state. (AP Photo/Steve Karnowski)

Hundreds of people attend a rally in the rotunda of the Minnesota State Capitol in St. Paul, Minn., Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2026, to urge leaders to support economic recovery in the wake of the Trump administration's immigration crackdown in the state. (AP Photo/Steve Karnowski)

Hundreds of people attend a rally in the rotunda of the Minnesota State Capitol in St. Paul, Minn., Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2026, to urge leaders to support economic recovery in the wake of the Trump administration's immigration crackdown in the state. (AP Photo/Steve Karnowski)

NEW YORK (AP) — Walmart delivered another impressive quarter as the promise of lower prices and speedy deliveries attracted a broader spectrum of Americans from cash-strapped to wealthier households during the critical holiday shopping period.

The subdued outlook, offered Thursday, from the Bentonville, Arkansas, company, however, hinted at a volatile economic environment ahead.

“Given that we are as large as we are and so tied to consumer health and the economy, we want to maintain maximum flexibility and not get out ahead of ourselves at this point in the year, ” Walmart's chief financial officer John David Rainey told investors during the earnings call.

He cited subdued consumer sentiment, a fragile job market and student loan delinquencies among other issues it's monitoring.

Still, Walmart’s impressive quarter wasn’t enough to postpone what was coming.

For the first time, Walmart recorded annual sales that were lower than online behemoth Amazon, dethroning the discounter from its status as the nation’s largest company by revenue, according to Fortune, which compiles a ranking of the top 500 U.S. corporations by total revenue for their respective fiscal years.

For the full year, Walmart’s sales reached $713.2 billion, while Amazon earlier this month delivered net sales of $716.9 billion, helped by its surging cloud service unit, advertising and massive ecommerce business.

The quarterly results were Walmart’s first in more than a decade to get reported under a new chief executive.

John Furner, 51, who headed the company’s U.S. operations, took over for Doug McMillon this month. McMillon had turned America’s largest retailer into a tech-powered giant and spearheaded an era of robust sales growth after being named Walmart’s CEO in 2014.

Walmart’s shares rose more than 25% since its last quarterly earnings report and earlier this month it became the first non-tech company to reach a valuation of more than a $1 trillion. Shares rose nearly 1% in afternoon trading.

Walmart has resonated with many Americans who are carefully considering where they spend money because of inflation and how the company performs is considered a barometer of consumer spending given its vast customer base. More than 150 million customers are on its website or in its stores every week, according to Walmart.

While inflation has cooled, consumer prices have soared about 25% over the past five years. Many economists expect more companies will begin passing on higher costs from higher U.S. tariffs to their customers in coming months.

Walmart’s promise of lower prices, improved merchandise and faster delivery has broadened its base to include wealthier shoppers in that environment, with the biggest gains in market share coming from households with annual income over $100,000. That has happened as lower-income shoppers have become more restrained, reflecting what economists call a K-shaped economy phenomenon.

Furner said shoppers overall remain resilient, but customers with household income below $50,000 are under financial strain.

“We continue to see (their) wallets are stretched, and in some cases, people are managing spending paycheck to paycheck,” he said during a conference call. “That said, even these households are emphasizing convenience nearly as much as price.”

Walmart has managed higher costs from President Donald Trump's tariffs by shifting what it offers on store shelves while absorbing some higher costs and diversifying sourcing.

Rainey told The Associated Press during a phone call Thursday that for the latest quarter, average prices for identical items at the retailer rose a little above 1%, with prices for food up a little less than that and general merchandise inflation was up more than 3%. Managing costs for general merchandise items like TVs and vacuum cleaners has been more challenging since most are foreign imports, he said.

Still, Rainey acknowledged that he had a lot more trepidation nine months ago when tariffs were just starting to hit, but he said the company has done a good job in minimizing the impact to the consumer.

Walmart reported fourth-quarter earnings of $4.24 billion, or 53 cents per share, for the quarter ended Jan. 31. Adjusted per-share results were 74 cents, a penny better than Wall Street expected, according to FactSet.

Last year, the company reported net income of $5.25 billion, or 65 cents per share.

Sales rose 5.6% to $190.7 billion from $180.6 billion, also edging out expectations.

Comparable sales at Walmart stores, including online sales, rose 4.6% after a 4.5% increase in the previous quarter. Sales were broadly stronger, particularly groceries, which have been an enormous generator of traffic for Walmart, the company said. It cited fashion as a bright spot, too.

And Walmart said speedier deliveries helped fuel the sales momentum, with expedited deliveries under three hours accounting for 35% of orders from stores.

U.S. e-commerce business increased 27% during the quarter, accounting for 23% of overall sales.

Walmart said that for the current quarter, it expects sales to increase anywhere from 3.5% to 4.5% and earnings per share to be in the range of 63 cents to 65 cents. For the year, it expects sales to reach $706.4 billion and earnings per share to be $2.64.

That is a little cooler than Wall Street had been projecting. Analysts polled by FactSet had been expecting per-share earnings of 68 cents in the first quarter. For the year, they have been projecting earnings of $2.64 per share on sales of $712.6 billion.

FILE - A shopper heads into a Walmart store Thursday, Oct. 16, 2025, in Englewood, Colo. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski, File)

FILE - A shopper heads into a Walmart store Thursday, Oct. 16, 2025, in Englewood, Colo. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski, File)

Recommended Articles