COLOMBO, Sri Lanka (AP) — Brian Bennett finished what captain Sikandar Raza started as Zimbabwe beat Sri Lanka by six wickets Thursday to head into the T20 World Cup Super Eights unbeaten.
Zimbabwe topped a Group B including former champions Sri Lanka and Australia.
Click to Gallery
Afghanistan's Mohammad Nabi throws the ball after fielding during the T20 World Cup cricket match between Afghanistan and Canada in Chennai, India, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Mahesh Kumar A.)
Sri Lanka's Pathum Nissanka celebrates his fifty runs during the T20 World Cup cricket match between Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe in Colombo, Sri Lanka, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Eranga Jayawardena)
Zimbabwe's Brian Bennett plays a shot during the T20 World Cup cricket match between Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe in Colombo, Sri Lanka, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Eranga Jayawardena)
Italy's Ali Hasan, left, appeals successfully for the wicket of West Indies' Brandon King, right, during the T20 World Cup cricket match between West Indies and Italy in Kolkata, India, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Bikas Das)
Italy's Gian Piero Meade plays a shot during the T20 World Cup cricket match between West Indies and Italy in Kolkata, India, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Bikas Das)
West Indies' Shamar Joseph bowls a delivery during the T20 World Cup cricket match between West Indies and Italy in Kolkata, India, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Bikas Das)
West Indies' captain Shai Hope plays a shot during the T20 World Cup cricket match between West Indies and Italy in Kolkata, India, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Bikas Das)
West Indies' captain Shai Hope hits a six during the T20 World Cup cricket match between West Indies and Italy in Kolkata, India, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Bikas Das)
West Indies' captain Shai Hope, left, flips the coin for toss as Italy's captain Wayne Madsen looks on before the start of the T20 World Cup cricket match between West Indies and Italy in Kolkata, India, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Bikas Das)
West Indies' captain Shai Hope right, shake hands with Italy's captain Wayne Madsen before the start of the T20 World Cup cricket match between West Indies and Italy in Kolkata, India, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Bikas Das)
Zimbabwe will meet the West Indies in their Super Eights opener in Mumbai on Monday. Sri Lanka will host England in Pallekele on Saturday.
West Indies also completed the group stage undefeated after dismissing Italy for 123 and winning by 42 runs in Kolkata.
Ibrahim Zadran missed out on claiming Afghanistan's first men's T20 World Cup century, finishing 95 not out as Canada was beaten by 82 runs in Chennai. Both teams had already failed to advance.
Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka had already booked their Super Eights spots after both dominated Australia, and still entertained. Sri Lanka opted to bat first and notched 178-7 and Zimbabwe overhauled it with 182-4 and three balls to spare.
“I don't think anyone gave us a chance (of reaching the Super Eights),” captain Raza said. “To win everyone's hearts and respect, it is a good position to be in. If we can win two out of three games who knows what can happen. Everyone loves an underdog story.”
Opening batter Bennett anchored the chase and was unbeaten on 63 off 48. He still hasn't been dismissed in the World Cup after scoring 48 against Oman and 64 against Australia.
Sri Lanka's total was held up again by Pathum Nissanka, who backed up his unbeaten 100 against Australia with 62 off 41 including eight boundaries.
Pavan Rathnayake hit two sixes and three boundaries in a 25-ball 44 to help Sri Lanka to a competitive total.
“We need to be more confident in the field. I felt that is what we lacked today," Sri Lanka captain Dasun Shanaka said. “Hopefully we come with a better attitude the next time.”
Italy and the West Indies struggled on what appeared to be a good batting pitch at Eden Gardens.
West Indies captain Shai Hope starred with 75 off 46 balls, his second straight World Cup half-century, and the next-best score was Ben Manenti's 26 for Italy.
West Indies defended a sub-par 165. Italy lost three wickets in the power play thanks to medium-pacer Matthew Forde, and pacer Shamar Joseph limited Italy in the middle and death overs with 4-30. Joseph also took four catches.
Hope kept the West Indies from floundering, opening the batting and hitting four sixes and six boundaries until he was bowled by Crishan Kalugamage in the 16th over.
In the Super Eights, the West Indies will face 2024 champion India, 2024 runner-up South Africa, and Zimbabwe, which knocked out Australia.
"We'll have to find ways to be more forceful when the crunch time comes,” Hope said. “We have batting depth but we need to be smart. Need to be clinical with stroke play. Need to capitalize on deliveries. (We're) in good shape going into the Super Eights.”
Italy finished its maiden World Cup appearance with plaudits after stunning Nepal and losing to England narrowly, Scotland and the West Indies. Captain Harry Manenti said he was proud of their ability to stay in the fight.
“We haven't played the perfect game despite showing promise in moments,” Manenti said. “It's important for all associate nations to be funded and well looked after, which is tough. If we keep getting support from the ICC, if we get more cricket, we'll get more competitive. Lack of games have hurt us (but) the more we play the higher are the chances to close out games like this.”
Zadran said he wasn't disappointed to miss out on scoring Afghanistan’s first century in a men’s T20 World Cup.
Zadran's seventh boundary finished Afghanistan’s innings on 200-4 and stranded him on a T20 career-best 95 not out from 56 balls.
Dropped on 54, he still achieved Afghanistan's highest World Cup score, including five sixes.
“To be honest, it (the century) wasn't in my mind," Zadran said, "but we had a discussion before the game, in the circle. Rashid (Khan, captain) said we don't have a T20 World Cup hundred, do your best, you can get one.”
Canada was limited to 118-8, off-spinner Mohammad Nabi taking 4-7 off four overs, his career best at age 41.
AP cricket: https://apnews.com/hub/cricket
Afghanistan's Mohammad Nabi throws the ball after fielding during the T20 World Cup cricket match between Afghanistan and Canada in Chennai, India, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Mahesh Kumar A.)
Sri Lanka's Pathum Nissanka celebrates his fifty runs during the T20 World Cup cricket match between Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe in Colombo, Sri Lanka, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Eranga Jayawardena)
Zimbabwe's Brian Bennett plays a shot during the T20 World Cup cricket match between Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe in Colombo, Sri Lanka, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Eranga Jayawardena)
Italy's Ali Hasan, left, appeals successfully for the wicket of West Indies' Brandon King, right, during the T20 World Cup cricket match between West Indies and Italy in Kolkata, India, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Bikas Das)
Italy's Gian Piero Meade plays a shot during the T20 World Cup cricket match between West Indies and Italy in Kolkata, India, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Bikas Das)
West Indies' Shamar Joseph bowls a delivery during the T20 World Cup cricket match between West Indies and Italy in Kolkata, India, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Bikas Das)
West Indies' captain Shai Hope plays a shot during the T20 World Cup cricket match between West Indies and Italy in Kolkata, India, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Bikas Das)
West Indies' captain Shai Hope hits a six during the T20 World Cup cricket match between West Indies and Italy in Kolkata, India, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Bikas Das)
West Indies' captain Shai Hope, left, flips the coin for toss as Italy's captain Wayne Madsen looks on before the start of the T20 World Cup cricket match between West Indies and Italy in Kolkata, India, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Bikas Das)
West Indies' captain Shai Hope right, shake hands with Italy's captain Wayne Madsen before the start of the T20 World Cup cricket match between West Indies and Italy in Kolkata, India, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Bikas Das)
HELSINGBORG, Sweden (AP) — NATO allies and defense officials expressed bewilderment Friday at U.S. President Donald Trump’s announcement that he would send 5,000 U.S. troops to Poland just weeks after ordering the same number of forces pulled out of Europe.
The apparent change of mind came after weeks of statements from Trump and his administration about reducing — not increasing — the U.S. military footprint in Europe. Trump's initial order set off a flurry of action among military commanders and left allies already doubtful about America's commitment to Europe's security to ponder what forces they might have to backfill on NATO's eastern flank with Russia and Ukraine.
Earlier this month, the Trump administration said it was reducing levels in Europe by about 5,000 troops, and U.S. officials confirmed about 4,000 service members were no longer rotating into Poland from Germany. The dispatch to Germany of U.S. personnel trained to fire long-range missiles was also halted.
But in a post on Truth Social on Thursday, Trump said he would now send "an additional 5,000 Troops to Poland,” citing his strong ties with Polish President Karol Nawrocki, whom Trump endorsed in elections last year.
“It is confusing indeed, and not always easy to navigate,” Swedish Foreign Minister Maria Malmer Stenergard told reporters Friday at a meeting she was hosting of her NATO counterparts, including U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio.
Ministers from the Netherlands and Norway were sanguine about Trump’s latest move, as was Latvian Foreign Minister Baiba Braže, who said allies knew the U.S. troop “posture was being reconsidered, and now there is no change of posture. For now.”
U.S. defense officials also expressed confusion. “We just spent the better part of two weeks reacting to the first announcement. We don’t know what this means either,” said one of two officials who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive military matters.
But Rubio said Washington’s allies understand that changes in the U.S. troop presence in Europe will come as the Trump administration reevaluates its force needs. “I think there’s a broad recognition that there are going to be eventually less U.S. troops in Europe than there has historically been for a variety of reasons,” he said.
The latest surprise came despite a U.S. pledge to coordinate troop deployments, including one from NATO’s top military officer, U.S. Lt. Gen. Alex Grynkewich, on Wednesday.
Trump's initial announcement that he would withdraw troops came as he fumed over remarks by German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, who said that the U.S. was being “humiliated” by the Iranian leadership and criticized what he called a lack of strategy in that war.
Trump told reporters that the U.S. would be cutting even more than 5,000 and also announced new tariffs on European cars. Germany is the continent’s biggest auto producer.
Rubio insisted that Trump’s decision “is not a punitive thing. It’s just something that’s ongoing.”
About 80,000 U.S. troops are stationed in Europe. The Pentagon is required to keep at least 76,000 troops and major equipment on the continent unless NATO allies are consulted and there is a determination that such a withdrawal is in U.S. interests.
The withdrawal of 5,000 troops might drop numbers below that limit.
But Trump's latest post suggests that troop numbers in Europe would not change. Polish Foreign Minister Radek Sikorski welcomed the decision to send more forces to his country, saying it ensures that “the presence of American troops in Poland will be maintained more or less at previous levels.”
NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte also welcomed the move. On Thursday, before Trump took to Truth Social again, Rutte had underlined that it was important for Europe to take care of its own security. “We have a process in place. This is normal business,” he told reporters.
At NATO headquarters in Brussels, meanwhile, U.S. officials briefed the allies on the Pentagon's aims for its commitments to the NATO Force Model, which involves contingency planning for Europe’s defense in the event of serious security concerns. It was widely expected that a further reduction of U.S. forces would be coming.
Asked whether any cuts were announced, Rutte said: “I’m afraid it’s much more complicated than that.” He said the procedure “is highly classified” and declined to give details.
Rubio played down concerns about a shift in U.S. force levels in Europe, saying: "Every country has to constantly reevaluate what their needs are, what their commitments are around the world, and how to properly structure that.”
Cook reported from Brussels. Associated Press writer Emma Burrows in London contributed.
United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks with journalists during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Helsingborg, Sweden, Friday, May 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson, Pool)
United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio, front second left, and NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte, front left, speak with each other during a group photo at a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Helsingborg, Sweden, Friday, May 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson, Pool)
United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio, left, and NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte look at each other as they deliver a statement during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Helsingborg, Sweden, Friday, May 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson, Pool)
Latvian Foreign Minister Baiba Braže speaks at the doorstep of the NATO foreign ministers' meeting at Sea U in Helsingborg, Sweden, Friday, May 22, 2026. (Johan Nilsson/TT News Agency via AP)
United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio, left, and NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte deliver a statement during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Helsingborg, Sweden, Friday, May 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson, Pool)
NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte speaks to media at the NATO Foreign Ministers' meeting in Helsingborg, Sweden, Friday, May 22, 2026. (Johan Nilsson/TT News Agency via AP)
Secretary of State Marco Rubio arrives with his wife Jeanette at Malmo Airport, Friday, May 22, 2026, in Malmo-Sturup, Sweden, ahead of a NATO foreign ministers meeting. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson, Pool)
NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte, second from left, shakes hands with Prime Minister of Sweden Ulf Kristersson, as he is greeted by King Carl Gustaf of Sweden, Queen Silvia of Sweden and Minister for Foreign Affairs of Sweden Maria Malmer Stenergard, right, before a dinner at Sofiero Castle in Helsingborg, Sweden, Thursday May 21 2026. (Johan Nilsson/TT News Agency via AP)
Swedish Foreign Minister Maria Malmer Stenergard speaks to media at the NATO Foreign Ministers' meeting in Helsingborg, Sweden, Friday, May 22, 2026. (Johan Nilsson/TT News Agency via AP)