Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

US military prepared to strike Iran "as early as this weekend": media reports

China

China

China

US military prepared to strike Iran "as early as this weekend": media reports

2026-02-19 16:18 Last Updated At:16:37

Senior U.S. national security officials have told President Donald Trump that the U.S. military strike on Iran could happen as soon as Saturday, U.S. news media outlets such as NBC News and CNN reported on Wednesday, citing unnamed sources.

The White House is now weighing the political and military consequences of a potential military strike, according to the reports.

Multiple U.S. officials said the Pentagon will temporarily reposition personnel out of the Middle East over the next three days, a precaution aimed at safeguarding U.S. forces in the event of Iran's retaliation.

According to the U.S. online outlet Axios, Trump convened a meeting with senior advisers on Iran on Wednesday.

The report also quoted U.S. officials as indicating that the Gerald R. Ford Carrier Strike Group is set to arrive in the Middle East within days, a deployment that will be a key factor in any decision to take military actions.

Last week, Trump announced the deployment of the USS Gerald R. Ford, the world's largest aircraft carrier, to the Middle East to reinforce the USS Abraham Lincoln and its accompanying guided-missile destroyers, already in the region. The Gerald R. Ford and its escorts are currently in the mid-Atlantic, having left the Caribbean en route to the Gulf.

At a press briefing on Wednesday, White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said that while the second round of indirect nuclear talks in Geneva between Iran and the United States had made some progress, the two sides remained far apart on key issues.

Leavitt said there were "many reasons and arguments that one could make for a strike against Iran".

Still, she added, a diplomatic resolution remains Trump's preferred path.

However, according to Axios, there has been no sign of a diplomatic breakthrough, and that evidence is instead pointing toward imminent U.S. military actions.

It also said that if Trump greenlights an operation, it could unfold over several weeks.

Meanwhile, Iranian government spokeswoman Fatemeh Mohajerania said on Wednesday that negotiations and defense readiness are two complementary strategies to protect Iran’s interests, and the country is on full alert.

Also on Wednesday, Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi said Iran is developing a framework aimed at advancing future negotiations with the United States.

According to Iran's official news agency IRNA, Araghchi and Rafael Grossi, director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), had discussed the latest round of indirect talks between Iran and the United States. During their phone call, Grossi gave a positive assessment of the Geneva meeting and expressed readiness to support Iran in shaping its negotiating framework.

The second round of indirect nuclear talks between Iran and the United States concluded on Tuesday, with both sides describing the discussions as productive, despite lingering differences, and agreeing to stay in touch.

A senior U.S. official told reporters on Wednesday that Washington expects Tehran to submit a written proposal in the coming days outlining its approach to resolving the current standoff.

US military prepared  to strike Iran "as early as this weekend": media reports

US military prepared to strike Iran "as early as this weekend": media reports

More than 2,500 Chinese and foreign tourists boarded a cruise ship on Tuesday from south China's Guangzhou City, to embark on a six-day, five-night sea voyage during the ongoing 2026 Spring Festival holiday.

The cruise ship, named Adora Mediterranean, just concluded a four-day Chinese New Year's Eve journey with 2,500 passengers, and docked at the Guangzhou Nansha International Cruise Home Port on Tuesday, the first day of the 2026 Chinese New Year.

The new batch of passengers got on the cruise ship in the evening, looking forward to the fantastic and leisurely journey.

"Taking a cruise can be more relaxing and less tiring," said a passenger.

"My mom took the journey once before, so she recommended it to us," said her daughter.

"I was so happy that I couldn't fall asleep. Happy Chinese New Year to all!" said a boy on the cruise ship.

The Aida Mediterranean is scheduled to make five special voyages from February 13 -- two days ahead of the official nine-day Chinese New Year holiday season -- to the March 3 -- the grand finale of the Chinese New Year celebrations, with unique itineraries that combine the characteristics of Chinese Lingnan New Year culture with exotic charm, allowing passengers to experience a different kind of Chinese New Year celebration at sea. Each voyage has almost been fully booked.

The Lingnan culture, also known as the Cantonese culture, refers to the regional Chinese culture of the region of Lingnan: twin provincial-level regions of Guangdong and Guangxi, whose names mean "eastern expanse" and "western expanse" respectively.

Tourists enjoy colorful Chinese New Year cruise voyage at sea

Tourists enjoy colorful Chinese New Year cruise voyage at sea

Recommended Articles