Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

China's visa-free policy, new routes attract more tourists from Argentina

China

China

China

China's visa-free policy, new routes attract more tourists from Argentina

2026-02-21 16:53 Last Updated At:17:27

More and more tourists from Argentina are coming to China for visit since the beginning of 2026, with a notable surge during the ongoing Spring Festival holiday, as they take advantage of the visa-free access and new air routes connecting the two countries.

In Buenos Aires, capital of Argentina, Chinese New Year celebrations have been held to embrace the Year of the Horse in the Chinese zodiac. The festivities attracted people from all walks of life in the Latin American country.

"The best thing is seeing people here, trying out the typical food. I came to have fun and take photos with people," said a local resident dressed up as Argentinian soccer star Lionel Messi in the celebrations.

Local tourist agencies have recorded more Argentines traveling to China during the Spring Festival season. Sebastian Aristimuno and Marina Muzzio, a couple who runs a Chinese martial art school in La Plata, is preparing their sixth trip to China to train in the art of Kung Fu with a shifu, or teacher. They first went to China in 2016.

Recalling their first trip to China, Aristimuno said "It was the first time we had been to an Asian country, and I was fascinated by the culture, by the language, the arts, painting, sculpture, also the martial arts."

The couple said visa-free policies, direct flights and the 21st century technology had made their visits more comfortable.

"These days, it is all much easier. You no longer need a tourist visa. There is a direct flight available that takes about the same time as other fights but is more convenient. And there are apps available that help you with translation, maps and trains, and that all makes it much easier," said Muzzio.

A direct flight between Beijing and Buenos Aires takes around 30 hours. Despite the time, distance and logistics involved in traveling from Argentina to China, more people are making that journey. Local reports in China suggest the number of bookings from Argentina to visit China is up nine-fold this year.

"As China began opening up, people travel for business and then fall in love with the country. So they go back as tourists," said Elena Chen, who runs a tourist agency that specializes in travel between China and Argentina.

China's visa-free policy, new routes attract more tourists from Argentina

China's visa-free policy, new routes attract more tourists from Argentina

Japanese citizens held a protest outside the prime minister's official residence in Tokyo on Friday, opposing the restart of the Kashiwazaki-Kariwa Nuclear Power Plant in Niigata Prefecture.

"Obviously, we haven't truly mastered the technology of treatment of radioactive materials. Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), responsible for the Fukushima nuclear accident, is no longer qualified to operate nuclear power plants. The earthquake-prone Japan needs no nuclear power. The final disposal site for nuclear waste remains undecided. There are still people who suffer the pains from nuclear contaminated water and soil today. Many remain displaced. The Fukushima disaster is not over, nor are its harms," said Mizuho Fukushima, leader of Japan's Social Democratic Party.

TEPCO restarted No. 6 reactor of the Kashiwazaki-Kariwa plant on January 21, but abnormalities occurred, delaying the restart until February.

Rally participants expressed concern that the Japanese government and TEPCO, having failed to properly address the Fukushima accident, now seek to bring nuclear risks to Niigata Prefecture.

"Fukushima already experienced such a catastrophe, and many people paid dearly for it. Nuclear power must not be restarted," said a protester.

Hit by a 9.0-magnitude earthquake and an ensuing tsunami on March 11, 2011, the Fukushima nuclear plant suffered core meltdowns that released radiation, resulting in a level-7 nuclear accident, the highest on the International Nuclear and Radiological Event Scale.

The plant has been generating a massive amount of water tainted with radioactive substances from cooling down nuclear fuel in reactor buildings. The contaminated water is now being stored in tanks at the nuclear plant.

Despite furious opposition both at home and abroad, the ocean discharge of the Fukushima nuclear-contaminated water began in August 2023.

Japanese protest against restarting Kashiwazaki-Kariwa Nuclear Power Plant

Japanese protest against restarting Kashiwazaki-Kariwa Nuclear Power Plant

Recommended Articles