Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Macron orders review of violent activist groups after fatal beating of far-right activist

News

Macron orders review of violent activist groups after fatal beating of far-right activist
News

News

Macron orders review of violent activist groups after fatal beating of far-right activist

2026-02-21 19:53 Last Updated At:20:00

LYON, France (AP) — French President Emmanuel Macron called for calm on Saturday ahead of marches organized by far-right groups after a student died from a beating in Lyon in an incident that highlighted a climate of deep political tensions ahead of next year's presidential vote.

Speaking at the Paris agriculture fair, Macron said he will launch a review of violent activist groups, and urged “everyone to remain calm” before Saturday's tributes to Quentin Deranque, a 23-year-old who died of brain injuries in a hospital last week. The demonstrations will take place under heavy police scrutiny.

“This is a moment of remembrance and respect for this young compatriot who was killed, for his family and loved ones. That must come first. And then it is a moment of firmness and responsibility,” Macron said.

Seven people have been handed preliminary charges. The Lyon public prosecutor’s office requested that each of them be charged with intentional homicide, aggravated violence and criminal conspiracy. Six of the accused were charged on all three counts. The seventh was charged with complicity in intentional homicide, aggravated violence and criminal conspiracy.

Deranque was attacked during a fight that erupted between far-left and far-right supporters on the margins of a student meeting where a far-left lawmaker, Rima Hassan, was a keynote speaker.

Macron said he will hold a meeting with ministers next week to carry out a comprehensive review of all violent activist groups that have links to political parties. He hinted that some groups could be dismantled.

“In the Republic, no violence is legitimate,” he said. “There is no place for militias, wherever they come from. We must be absolutely uncompromising.”

The main tribute to Deranque was scheduled later Saturday in Lyon, where clashes between far-right activists and far-left groups have become frequent. Their fighting often takes the form of organized street battles in the city, sometimes involving groups of several dozen people.

Lyon’s far-left-leaning militant groups are more recent and were created in reaction to the many far-right groups that have been present for several decades. The city is seen by intelligence services as the cradle of far-right activism in France.

Deranque’s parents have also called for calm and won’t take part in the tribute, which has not been banned by French authorities.

Deranque’s death triggered a storm of recriminations, mostly blaming the far-left France Unbowed party and its leader, Jean-Luc Mélenchon. Among the suspects is the parliamentary aide of a France Unbowed lawmaker who set up the anti-fascist group The Young Guard.

France Unbowed’s opponents accuse it of fomenting violence and tensions with its combative far-left politics. Mélenchon has condemned the violence and insisted that his party bore no blame for the tragedy.

Mélenchon stood for the presidency in 2012, 2017 and 2022, but failed to advance to the decisive runoff round. He is preparing for another expected run next year, when Macron’s second and last term ends.

France is holding municipal elections next month and right-wing political forces have been using the incident to demonize France Unbowed. Far-right National Rally leader Jordan Bardella has called for a common front against Mélenchon's party.

Criticism also came from prominent figures on the left, including former French President François Hollande. He said the mainstream left, including his Socialist Party, must not team up again with Mélenchon’s party for the upcoming elections, as they did in the past.

A woman holds a placard reading "Justice for Quentin" as she pays tribute to far-right student, Quentin Deranque, 23, who died in Lyon from a street beating during clashes between far-left and far-right militants, in Lille, northern France, Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2026. (AP Photo/Jean-Francois Badias)

A woman holds a placard reading "Justice for Quentin" as she pays tribute to far-right student, Quentin Deranque, 23, who died in Lyon from a street beating during clashes between far-left and far-right militants, in Lille, northern France, Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2026. (AP Photo/Jean-Francois Badias)

France's President Emmanuel Macron attends the opening of the International Agriculture Fair in Paris, Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Aurelien Morissard, Pool)

France's President Emmanuel Macron attends the opening of the International Agriculture Fair in Paris, Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Aurelien Morissard, Pool)

CORTINA D'AMPEZZO, Italy (AP) — No surprise: Germany's Johannes Lochner is off to a big early lead in the four-man bobsled race at the Milan Cortina Games.

And he's well on his way to ending his career with double Olympic gold.

Lochner and his team — Thorsten Margis, Jorn Wenzel and Georg Fleischhauer — finished their first run of the four-heat event Saturday morning in 53.91 seconds. That was 0.39 seconds faster than the time posted by four-time Olympic champion and fellow German Francesco Friedrich in the first heat.

Brad Hall of Britain is third after one run, 0.48 seconds off the pace. The second heat is later Saturday and the medal-deciding runs are Sunday — the final day of the Games.

For the U.S., Kris Horn — who couldn't compete in two-man at these Olympics because he didn't finish enough races in the World Cup season — finally got his Games underway and is tied for eighth after one run, just 0.21 seconds back of the bronze-medal spot.

Horn is sliding with Caleb Furnell, Hunter Powell and Carsten Vissering.

Frank Del Duca, an opening ceremony flag-bearer for the U.S. who started 27th in the 27-sled field — meaning he got some seriously chewed-up ice to deal with in his opening run — is 14th for the Americans. Del Duca has Boone Niederhofer, Bryan Sosoo and Josh Williamson in his sled.

Jamaica, always a fan favorite at the Olympics and these games are no exception, is 23rd after one heat. Only the top 20 sleds after three heats qualify for the final run on Sunday.

The second heat was delayed for about 20 minutes after Austrian pilot Jakob Mandlbauer lost control of his sled and crashed toward the bottom portion of the track. Mandlbauer was taken off the track on a stretcher and brought by ambulance to a nearby hospital for evaluation.

There was no immediate word on the severity of his injuries.

Lochner has taken nine competitive runs at the Cortina track since it opened last fall and finished first in each of them — sweeping the two- and four-man events at the World Cup opener in November, then winning all four heats of the Olympic two-man race and now starting with a big lead in four-man.

The margin of 0.39 seconds was the biggest after one run of the Olympic four-man race since 1952 and keeps Lochner — who is retiring after these games — in position to become just the second pilot to ever sweep all eight heats in men's Olympic bobsled competition.

Anderl Ostler pulled off that feat 74 years ago. Wolfgang Hoppe nearly did it in 1984, winning seven of eight heats and finishing 0.01 seconds back in the other.

Lochner is also trying to become the seventh pilot to sweep both men's bobsled events in an Olympics, joining Ostler (1952), Italy's Eugenio Monti (1968), then-East Germany's Meinhard Nehmer (1976), Hoppe (1984), Germany's Andre Lange (2006), and Friedrich (2018 and 2022).

AP Winter Olympics: https://apnews.com/hub/milan-cortina-2026-winter-olympics

United States' Kristopher Horn, left, Caleb Furnell, Hunter Powell and Carsten Vissering slide down the track during a four man bobsled run at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Aijaz Rahi)

United States' Kristopher Horn, left, Caleb Furnell, Hunter Powell and Carsten Vissering slide down the track during a four man bobsled run at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Aijaz Rahi)

United States' Kristopher Horn, front, Caleb Furnell, Hunter Powell and Carsten Vissering start for a four man bobsled run at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino)

United States' Kristopher Horn, front, Caleb Furnell, Hunter Powell and Carsten Vissering start for a four man bobsled run at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino)

Germany's Francesco Friedrich, front, Matthias Sommer, Alexander Schuller and Felix Straub start for a four man bobsled run at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino)

Germany's Francesco Friedrich, front, Matthias Sommer, Alexander Schuller and Felix Straub start for a four man bobsled run at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino)

Germany's Johannes Lochner, left, Thorsten Margis, Jorn Wenzel and Georg Fleischauer slide down the track during a four man bobsled run at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Aijaz Rahi)

Germany's Johannes Lochner, left, Thorsten Margis, Jorn Wenzel and Georg Fleischauer slide down the track during a four man bobsled run at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Aijaz Rahi)

Recommended Articles