Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Trump says he'll raise tariffs to 15 percent after Supreme Court ruling

News

Trump says he'll raise tariffs to 15 percent after Supreme Court ruling
News

News

Trump says he'll raise tariffs to 15 percent after Supreme Court ruling

2026-02-22 03:12 Last Updated At:03:20

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump said Saturday that he wants a global tariff of 15%, up from 10% he had announced a day earlier after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down many of the far-reaching taxes on imports that he had imposed over the last year.

Trump’s announcement on social media was the latest sign that despite the court's check on his powers, the Republican president still intends to ratchet up tariffs in an unpredictable way. Tariffs have been his favorite tool for rewriting the rules of global commerce and applying international pressure.

More Images
President Donald Trump speaks during a press briefing at the White House, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

President Donald Trump speaks during a press briefing at the White House, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

Cars drive by a Mercedes-Benz dealership on the Bedford Automile in Bedford, Ohio, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)

Cars drive by a Mercedes-Benz dealership on the Bedford Automile in Bedford, Ohio, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)

A ship is docked at the Port of Long Beach Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Long Beach, Calif. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes)

A ship is docked at the Port of Long Beach Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Long Beach, Calif. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes)

Subarus sit parked at a dealership on the Bedford Auto Mile in Bedford, Ohio, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)

Subarus sit parked at a dealership on the Bedford Auto Mile in Bedford, Ohio, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)

The court's decision on Friday struck down tariffs that Trump had imposed on nearly every country using an emergency powers law. Trump now said he will use a different, albeit more limited, legal authority.

He's already signed an executive order enabling him to bypass Congress and impose a 10% tax on imports from around the world, starting on Tuesday, the same day as his State of the Union speech. However, those tariffs are limited to 150 days unless they are extended legislatively.

The White House did not immediately respond to a message inquiring when the president would sign an updated order to peg the tariffs at 15%.

He wrote on social media that he was making the announcement “based on a thorough, detailed, and complete review of the ridiculous, poorly written, and extraordinarily anti-American decision on Tariffs issued yesterday."

By a 6-3 vote, the justices ruled that it was unconstitutional for Trump to unilaterally set and change tariffs because the power to tax lies with Congress.

In addition to the temporary tariffs that Trump wants to set at 15%, the president said Friday that he was also pursuing tariffs through other sections of federal law which require an investigation by the Commerce Department.

He wrote on Saturday that “during the next short number of months, the Trump Administration will determine and issue the new and legally permissible Tariffs, which will continue our extraordinarily successful process of Making America Great Again.”

After the Supreme Court decision, Trump made an unusually personal attack on the justices who ruled against him in a 6-3 vote, including two of those he appointed during his first term, Justices Neil Gorsuch and Amy Coney Barrett. Trump, at a news conference on Friday, said that the situation is "an embarrassment to their families."

He was still seething Friday night, posting on social media complaining about Gorsuch, Coney Barrett and Chief Justice John Roberts, who ruled with the majority and wrote the majority opinion. On Saturday morning, Trump issued another post declaring that his “new hero” was Justice Brett Kavanaugh, who wrote a 63-page dissent. He also praised Justices Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito, who were in the minority, and said of the three dissenting justices: "There is no doubt in anyone’s mind that they want to, MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!"

Tariffs have been central to Trump’s economic policies, which he has said address a host of ills, from reviving trade imbalances and reviving U.S. manufacturing to forcing other nations to action, whether it be stepping up efforts to combat drug trafficking or ceasing hostilities with each other.

He also regularly claimed despite evidence to the contrary that foreign governments would pay the tariffs—not American consumers and businesses.

Federal data shows the Treasury had collected more than $133 billion from the import taxes the president has imposed under the emergency powers law as of December, and Trump has made many promises about what that money might go toward, such as paying down the national debt and sending dividend checks to taxpayers. The Supreme Court decision did not address what happens to the funds that have already been collected from tariffs.

Democrats spoke out quickly on Trump's new tariff threat. Democrats on the House Ways and Means Committee accused Trump of “pickpocketing the American people” with his newly announced higher tariff.

“A little over 24 hours after his tariffs were ruled illegal, he’s doing anything he can to make sure he can still jack up your costs,” they wrote on social media.

California Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom, a Trump nemesis, added that "he does not care about you.”

AP reporter Ali Swenson contributed to this story.

_

President Donald Trump speaks during a press briefing at the White House, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

President Donald Trump speaks during a press briefing at the White House, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

Cars drive by a Mercedes-Benz dealership on the Bedford Automile in Bedford, Ohio, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)

Cars drive by a Mercedes-Benz dealership on the Bedford Automile in Bedford, Ohio, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)

A ship is docked at the Port of Long Beach Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Long Beach, Calif. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes)

A ship is docked at the Port of Long Beach Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Long Beach, Calif. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes)

Subarus sit parked at a dealership on the Bedford Auto Mile in Bedford, Ohio, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)

Subarus sit parked at a dealership on the Bedford Auto Mile in Bedford, Ohio, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)

LECCE, Italy (AP) — Substitutes Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Manuel Akanji scored late for Inter Milan to stretch its Serie A lead to 10 points with an unspectacular 2-0 win at Lecce on Saturday.

Both players were sent on for the last half hour. Mkhitaryan was left unmarked at the far post to score from Federico Dimarco’s corner in the 75th minute, and Akanji headed in from another corner in the 82nd.

Dimarco thought he’d scored after the break but the goal was ruled out after a VAR check found Marcus Thuram was offside. Dimarco later had another effort to seal the win cleared off the line before he took the corner for Akanji's goal.

Inter was without star players Lautaro Martínez and Hakan Çalhanoğlu.

The team’s seventh consecutive league win moved it 10 points clear of AC Milan before its city rival hosts Parma on Sunday.

Juventus’ damaging week continued with a 2-0 loss at home to Como that dents the Italian power’s hopes of Champions League qualification.

The defeat comes days after the Bianconeri’s 5-2 loss at Galatasaray in the first leg of the playoffs in this season’s Champions League. Juventus welcomes the Turkish team for the second leg on Wednesday.

Mërgim Vojvoda scored early for Como with a shot that Michele Di Gregorio should have saved after getting his arm to ball. The chance came about after Juventus’ Weston McKennie lost the ball in midfield.

There were whistles from frustrated Juve fans at the break, and it didn’t get any better for their team after the restart.

Lucas da Cunha broke through to set up Maxence Caqueret for Como’s second in the 61st.

It's Juventus' third straight defeat across all competitions and its fifth game in a row without a win.

Luciano Spalletti's team remained fifth, a point behind Roma before the capital club hosts Cremonese on Sunday. Como stayed sixth, a point behind Juve. Only the top four qualify for Europe’s premier competition.

Lazio was to visit Cagliari for the late game.

AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer

Juventus' Teun Koopmeiners, left, fights for the ball with Como's Maxence Caqueret during the Italian Serie A soccer match between Juventus and Como in Turin, Italy, Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (Marco Alpozzi/dpa via AP)

Juventus' Teun Koopmeiners, left, fights for the ball with Como's Maxence Caqueret during the Italian Serie A soccer match between Juventus and Como in Turin, Italy, Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (Marco Alpozzi/dpa via AP)

Juventus' Andrea Cambiaso, left, fights for the ball with Como's Mergim Voivode during the Italian Serie A soccer match between Juventus and Como in Turin, Italy, Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (Marco Alpozzi/dpa via AP)

Juventus' Andrea Cambiaso, left, fights for the ball with Como's Mergim Voivode during the Italian Serie A soccer match between Juventus and Como in Turin, Italy, Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (Marco Alpozzi/dpa via AP)

Juventus' Manuel Locatelli, right, fights for the ball with Como's Lucas Da Cunha during the Italian Serie A soccer match between Juventus and Como in Turin, Italy, Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (Marco Alpozzi/LaPresse via AP)

Juventus' Manuel Locatelli, right, fights for the ball with Como's Lucas Da Cunha during the Italian Serie A soccer match between Juventus and Como in Turin, Italy, Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (Marco Alpozzi/LaPresse via AP)

Juventus' Kenan Yildiz, right, fights for the ball with Como's Lucas Da Cunha during the Italian Serie A soccer match between Juventus and Como in Turin, Italy, Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (Marco Alpozzi/LaPresse via AP)

Juventus' Kenan Yildiz, right, fights for the ball with Como's Lucas Da Cunha during the Italian Serie A soccer match between Juventus and Como in Turin, Italy, Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (Marco Alpozzi/LaPresse via AP)

Juventus' Kenan Yildiz fights for the ball with Como's Jacobo Ramon, right, during the Italian Serie A soccer match between Juventus and Como in Turin, Italy, Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (Marco Alpozzi/LaPresse via AP)

Juventus' Kenan Yildiz fights for the ball with Como's Jacobo Ramon, right, during the Italian Serie A soccer match between Juventus and Como in Turin, Italy, Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (Marco Alpozzi/LaPresse via AP)

Recommended Articles