Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Palestinian death toll in Gaza rises to 72,072

China

China

China

Palestinian death toll in Gaza rises to 72,072

2026-02-23 02:28 Last Updated At:05:17

The death toll in the war-torn Gaza Strip has risen to 72,072 since the conflict between Hamas and Israel broke out on Oct 7, 2023, with injuries reaching 171,741, Gaza's health authorities said on Sunday.

The authorities said two bodies and three wounded people were brought to hospitals in Gaza over the past 24 hours.

Since a ceasefire in Gaza came into effect last October, 614 Palestinians have been killed and 1,643 others wounded, according to the authorities.

On Sunday, a 27-year-old Palestinian woman was killed after being shot by Israeli gunfire in Beit Lahia, northern Gaza.

According to reports, Israeli artillery shelled eastern areas of Gaza City, the Bureij refugee camp in central Gaza, Rafah and Khan Younis on Sunday.

Palestinian death toll in Gaza rises to 72,072

Palestinian death toll in Gaza rises to 72,072

Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban on Sunday announced three countermeasures in response to Ukraine's suspension of crude oil deliveries through the Druzhba pipeline.

In a social media post, Orban said Hungary will secure its fuel supply and take necessary countermeasures until shipments resume.

The measures include halting diesel shipments from Hungary to Ukraine, refusing to provide military loans, and withholding support for new EU sanctions against Russia, including the bloc's 20th sanctions package.

Orban stressed that energy security is a matter of fundamental national interest, and any actions that jeopardize Hungary's energy supply will be met with a firm response.

He said that Hungary would maintain its economic and social stability and take further action if necessary.

Hungarian Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade Peter Szijjarto said in a video statement on social media on Sunday that Hungary will block the adoption of the EU's 20th sanctions package against Russia at Monday's Foreign Affairs Council.

He noted that Ukraine's decision earlier this week not to restart shipments was "political blackmail" aimed at creating fuel supply disruptions and driving up petrol prices ahead of Hungary's parliamentary elections.

Hungary will not allow decisions important to Kiev to move forward until Ukraine restarts crude oil deliveries to Hungary via the Druzhba pipeline, Szijjarto said.

According to the minister, Hungary has addressed the situation by releasing part of its strategic crude reserves and securing replacement supplies via maritime routes.

Szijjarto said Hungary had already halted diesel exports to Ukraine, which he said accounted for around 10 percent of Ukraine's diesel imports and had moved to block a planned 90-billion-euro EU military loan for Kiev.

He reiterated on Friday that Hungary would prevent the loan from being disbursed.

The Druzhba pipeline, which transports Russian oil to Central Europe via Ukraine, has faced repeated disruptions over the past year amid the ongoing conflict between Russia and Ukraine.

According to Szijjarto, oil supplies to Slovakia and Hungary through the pipeline have been suspended since January 27, and Ukraine has decided not to restart crude oil deliveries although there are currently "no practical or technical obstacles."

Hungary announces countermeasures against Ukraine amid pipeline dispute

Hungary announces countermeasures against Ukraine amid pipeline dispute

Recommended Articles