Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Disney offsets fewer overseas visitors with streaming and strong spending at theme parks

Business

Disney offsets fewer overseas visitors with streaming and strong spending at theme parks
Business

Business

Disney offsets fewer overseas visitors with streaming and strong spending at theme parks

2026-05-06 22:29 Last Updated At:22:30

Disney exceeded most expectations in the second quarter due to strength in its streaming service and strong spending at U.S. theme parks that offset weak international tourism.

The Walt Disney Co. warned early this year that its theme parks division would likely see modest growth due in part to declining tourism from abroad.

International tourism in the U.S. has waned for a number of reasons after President Donald Trump’s return to the White House, including tariffs, a crackdown on immigrants, and repeated jabs at alliednations.

In the Experiences division, which includes Disney’s six global theme parks, its cruise line, merchandise and video game licensing, operating income climbed 5% to $2.62 billion and revenue hit $9.49 billion in the quarter. Operating income rose 5% at domestic parks, while operating income edged up 1% for international parks and Experiences.

However, overall attendance at U.S. parks declined 1% from the same time last year due to declining international tourism.

Disney said Wednesday that domestic parks and resorts are doing well, but that the company is aware that customers are facing heightened inflation and soaring energy prices. Disney expects year-over-year attendance at its U.S. parks to improve in the current quarter.

Shares jumped 8% Wednesday.

Chief Financial Officer Hugh Johnston said during Disney’s conference call that the company is not seeing any change in consumer behavior from elevated gas prices so far, but that the business remains mindful of economic conditions and can make adjustments if needed.

For the period ended March 28, Disney earned $2.25 billion, or $1.27 per share. A year earlier it earned $3.28 billion, or $1.81 per share.

Stripping out one-time gains and losses, earnings were $1.57 per share, easily beating the $1.49 that Wall Street expected, according to analysts polled by Zacks Investment Research.

The Burbank, California, company reported revenue of $25.17 billion, which was slightly above expectations.

Revenue for Disney Entertainment, which includes the company’s movie studios and streaming service, climbed 10%, while revenue for the Experiences division, rose 7%.

Disney is preparing for the release of several films, including “The Mandalorian & Grogu,”“Toy Story 5” and the live-action “Moana.”

“Franchise films like these strengthen our most strategic asset – our intellectual property – and help fuel our streaming, consumer products, experiences, and games businesses over years and generations,” CEO Josh D'Amaro and Johnston said in a joint statement.

D’Amaro succeeded Bob Iger as Disney’s CEO in March to become the 9th CEO of the 100 plus-year-old company after overseeing its theme parks, cruises and resorts since 2020.

Just over a month into the job he was facing a challenge that had tested Iger's later years with Disney: Clashes with Donald Trump.

Last week, Donald and Melania Trump both called for ABC to fire Jimmy Kimmel after he described the first lady as having “the glow of an expectant widow.” Disney owns ABC.

Kimmel made the comment before a man with a gun stormed the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner and Trump was spirited out of the room by the Secret Service.

Last year, Kimmel was suspended by ABC following a comment made by the late night talk show host about assassinated conservative leader Charlie Kirk, a decision encouraged by Trump’s FCC chairman, Brendan Carr. ABC later brought Kimmel back.

Disney still anticipates double-digit growth for fiscal 2027 adjusted earnings per share, excluding the impact of an extra week in the period.

FILE - In this Aug. 8, 2017, file photo, The Walt Disney Co. logo appears on a screen above the floor of the New York Stock Exchange. (AP Photo/Richard Drew, File)

FILE - In this Aug. 8, 2017, file photo, The Walt Disney Co. logo appears on a screen above the floor of the New York Stock Exchange. (AP Photo/Richard Drew, File)

LONDON (AP) — Crystal Palace added to its squad for another European campaign by signing United States youth international Zavier Gozo in a club record sale for Real Salt Lake.

The Conference League titleholder signed the 19-year-old winger to a five-year contract late Monday. The transfer fee was reportedly $15 million.

Real Salt Lake said in a statement it will “retain a significant percentage of any future transfer fee for Gozo,” who it said was the first Utah native to join a Premier League club.

Palace starts the Premier League at Everton on Saturday and will play in the second-tier Europa League. UEFA makes the league phase draw in Monaco next week.

After scoring at the World Cup for Canada, forward Promise David is moving to Brighton on loan from Union Saint-Gilloise.

Brighton said its deal for the 25-year-old David “includes an obligation to buy should certain criteria be met.” He played in four of co-host Canada's games at the World Cup and scored in a 2-1 loss to Switzerland in the group stage.

Belgian league runner-up Union was eliminated in the Champions League qualifying rounds last week, against Bodø/Glimt, and will play in the Europa League where its expected prize money drops by tens of millions of euros.

Brighton and Union have close ties through their owners and share player data analysis by Jamestown Analytics. The data firm founded by Brighton owner Tony Bloom is renowned in European soccer and also used by Como and Heart of Midlothian.

Brighton hosts Aston Villa, the Europa League titleholder, in their Premier League opener on Sunday. Brighton is in the third-tier Conference League this season and has a first-leg game on Thursday in the qualifying playoffs at Tromsø in Norway.

Leeds got a solid defensive addition by signing Switzerland veteran Nico Elvedi from Borussia Mönchengladbach for a reported 8 million euros ($9.3 million).

Elvedi has been to the past three World Cups and played every minute of Switzerland’s six-game run to the quarterfinals, ended by a hard-luck loss against Argentina last month.

The 29-year-old center back spent 11 years at Gladbach where he played under Leeds coach Daniel Farke in the 2022-23 season.

Elvedi joins a Leeds squad looking to build on a solid first season back in the Premier League when the club owned by the San Francisco 49ers also reached the FA Cup semifinals.

The price of trying to stay in the Premier League is getting higher for promoted teams.

Championship title winner Coventry took its offseason spending to about $160 million on Wednesday by signing 19-year-old Guinea-born forward Sidiki Chérif from Fenerbahce.

The reported transfer fee was 20.5 million pounds ($28 million) for Fenerbahce which last week signed Belgium veteran Romelu Lukaku as the Istanbul giant aims for a first Turkish league title since 2014.

Chérif, who joined Fenerbahce in February from French club Angers, was called up to the France Under-21 squad in March though did not play.

Coventry, coached by Frank Lampard, starts its first Premier League season in 25 years on Friday at titleholder Arsenal.

See AP’s full soccer coverage here

FILE - Real Salt Lake midfielder Zavier Gozo, right, scores a goal past Club America goaltender Ángel Malagón during a Leagues Cup soccer match, on July 30, 2025, in Sandy, Utah. (AP Photo/Tyler Tate, File)

FILE - Real Salt Lake midfielder Zavier Gozo, right, scores a goal past Club America goaltender Ángel Malagón during a Leagues Cup soccer match, on July 30, 2025, in Sandy, Utah. (AP Photo/Tyler Tate, File)

Recommended Articles