Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Dodgers' Blake Snell will undergo surgery to remove loose bodies from elbow in bid to return sooner

Sport

Dodgers' Blake Snell will undergo surgery to remove loose bodies from elbow in bid to return sooner
Sport

Sport

Dodgers' Blake Snell will undergo surgery to remove loose bodies from elbow in bid to return sooner

2026-05-19 10:17 Last Updated At:10:20

SAN DIEGO (AP) — Los Angeles Dodgers left-hander Blake Snell will undergo surgery Tuesday to remove loose bodies from his elbow, general manager Brandon Gomes said.

The Dodgers are optimistic that the procedure will allow Snell to return to the mound earlier than other treatment options, although the $182 million starter will still be sidelined for a significant amount of time. Gomes said Snell will have the same surgery as Detroit Tigers ace Tarik Skubal, who has the same elbow problem, with the intention of returning this season.

“Hopefully it's the shorter timeline,” Gomes said. “That's the hope and the expectation right now. Obviously don't know 100% until we're in there, but that's what we expect.”

The injury-plagued World Series champions also signed veteran reliever Jonathan Hernández and optioned reliever Chayce McDermott back to the minors after one appearance, making their latest pitching shuffle Monday before they faced the NL West rival San Diego Padres for the first time this season.

Hernández opted out of his minor league contract with Philadelphia on Monday after making 13 appearances for Triple-A Lehigh Valley, going 1-0 with a 4.80 ERA and 22 strikeouts over 15 innings.

Hernández appeared in parts of five seasons for the Texas Rangers before bouncing through the minors with Seattle, Tampa Bay and the Phillies over the past two years. He hasn't pitched in the majors since making three appearances for the Mariners in August 2024.

McDermott made his Dodgers debut with one scoreless inning in their 10-1 victory over the Los Angeles Angels on Sunday to complete a three-game sweep. The Dodgers acquired the right-hander in a trade with Baltimore last month.

The Dodgers are going through another year of significant injury problems for their pitching staff, forcing them to shuffle their rotation and bullpen on a weekly basis yet again. Los Angeles still has the majors' second-lowest ERA at 3.21 entering its trip to Petco Park.

“We've dealt with this in the past,” Gomes said. “It's the reason you try to go in with as much depth as you can, knowing that things can happen. You hope that they don't pile up at the same time, which has been happening as of late, but we'll keep navigating it and work through it like we have in the past.”

High-priced starters Snell and Tyler Glasnow are out of the Dodgers' rotation due to injuries.

Manager Dave Roberts said Monday that Glasnow's injured back recently “flared up,” preventing him from throwing off a mound yet. Snell has made one start for the Dodgers this season, while Glasnow left his seventh start of the year with his injury nearly two weeks ago.

Edwin Diaz, the majors' highest-paid reliever, is likely out for at least three months after undergoing surgery to remove loose bodies in his elbow after just seven appearances with his new team. The Dodgers then lost left-hander Jack Dreyer, their most-used reliever this season, to shoulder discomfort last weekend.

Roberts also said long-injured reliever Brusdar Graterol has had another setback in his recovery from a back injury. The hard-throwing Graterol, who hasn't pitched in the majors since the 2024 World Series, had been pitching for Triple-A Oklahoma City.

“He'll be shut down for a while,” Roberts said.

Gomes said surgery on Graterol's lower back is a possibility.

The Dodgers' other injured pitchers with significant major league experience include right-handers Brock Stewart, Evan Phillips, Ben Casparius, Landon Knack, Gavin Stone, Bobby Miller and Jake Cousins.

Utilitymen Kiké Hernández and Tommy Edman have also missed the entire season to date with injuries, but both are tentatively expected back within the next month.

The Dodgers transferred Casparius to the 60-day injured list to make room for Hernández on the 40-man roster.

AP MLB: https://apnews.com/MLB

Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Chayce McDermott throws to a Los Angeles Angels batter during the ninth inning of a baseball game, Sunday, May 17, 2026, in Anaheim, Calif. (AP Photo/Jessie Alcheh)

Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Chayce McDermott throws to a Los Angeles Angels batter during the ninth inning of a baseball game, Sunday, May 17, 2026, in Anaheim, Calif. (AP Photo/Jessie Alcheh)

KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — Congo will open three Ebola treatment centers in the eastern Ituri province, and the World Health Organization is sending a team of experts to the country, following an outbreak of a rare type of the virus that has killed nearly 120 people.

An American doctor in Congo is among the newly confirmed cases of the virus with no approved vaccines or medicines, Congolese officials said Monday, as details emerged about the government's delayed response to the outbreak.

The WHO on Sunday declared the Ebola outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. As of Monday, there were over 118 deaths and 300 suspected cases in Ituri and North Kivu provinces, and one death and one suspected case in neighboring Uganda. Experts say the number of cases is likely to rise as health officials conduct more surveillance.

The Bundibugyo virus spread undetected for at least a few weeks, health experts and aid workers said. Cases have now been confirmed in Bunia, North Kivu’s rebel-held capital of Goma, Mongbwalu, Butembo and Nyakunde.

“Because early tests looked for the wrong strain of Ebola, we got false negatives and lost weeks of response time,” said Matthew M. Kavanagh, director of the Georgetown University Center for Global Health Policy and Politics. “We are playing catch-up against a very dangerous pathogen.”

He criticized the Trump administration’s earlier decision to withdraw from the WHO and make deep cuts in foreign aid — “the exact surveillance system meant to catch these viruses early,” he said.

The severity of the symptoms and the rising caseload are fueling a growing sense of panic in the neighborhoods of Bunia.

“I know the consequences of Ebola, I know what it’s like,” said Noëla Lumo, a resident of Bunia. She previously lived in Beni, a region hit by former Ebola outbreaks. As soon as she heard about the latest outbreak, Lumo began making protective masks by hand.

Congo has said the first person died from the virus on April 24 in Bunia, and the body was repatriated to the Mongbwalu health zone, a mining area with a large population.

“That caused the Ebola outbreak to escalate,” said Congo’s health minister, Samuel Roger Kamba.

When another person fell ill on April 26, samples were sent to Kinshasa for testing, according to the Africa Centers for Disease Control. On May 5, the WHO was alerted of about 50 deaths in Mongbwalu, including four health workers. The first case was confirmed on May 14.

Samples from Bunia were initially tested for the more common type of Ebola, Zaire, Congolese officials said. They came back negative, said Dr. Richard Kitenge, the Health Ministry Incident Manager for Ebola.

The first confirmation of Ebola came on May 14, and Bundibugyo was confirmed the next day.

“The situation is quite worrying and is evolving pretty quickly,” Esther Sterk with the Medecins Sans Frontieres aid group told the AP. “It was detected quite late.” But she said that was often the case with outbreaks of Ebola, which has similar symptoms to other tropical diseases.

The American doctor is among the cases in Bunia, the capital of Ituri province in eastern Congo, said Dr. Jean-Jacques Muyembe, medical director of the country’s National Institute of Bio-Medical Research.

Dr. Peter Stafford had been treating patients at a hospital there when he developed symptoms, Serge, the organization he works for, said in a statement.

Three others employees of Serge were working at the same hospital — including Stafford’s wife — but are not showing symptoms.

Seven Americans, including the one who tested positive, are being transported to Germany for monitoring, Dr. Satish Pillai of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a call with reporters. Pillai said the American developed symptoms over the weekend.

CDC officials did not immediately respond to follow-up questions about the American doctor’s condition.

The CDC, which has said the risk to Americans was low, issued travel advisories urging Americans traveling in Congo and Uganda to avoid people with symptoms like fever, muscle pain and rash.

The CDC said that, for the next 30 days, the U.S. would ban entry of all foreign nationals who had visited Congo, Uganda and South Sudan over the past three weeks, and take measures to identify individuals with Ebola symptoms at ports of entry.

Ebola is highly contagious and can be contracted via bodily fluids such as vomit, blood or semen. The disease it causes is rare but severe and often fatal.

“Ebola is very much a disease of compassion in that it impacts the people who are more likely to be taking care of sick folks,” said Dr. Craig Spencer, an associate professor at the Brown University School of Public Health who survived Ebola more than a decade ago after contracting the disease in Guinea.

⁠“I suspect that the number of cases is going to go up pretty dramatically in the coming weeks as we do better surveillance and end up finding there were a lot more cases and probably a lot more deaths than we recognized," he said.

Although more than 20 Ebola outbreaks have taken place in Congo and Uganda since 1976, this is only the third time that the Bundibugyo virus has been detected.

The U.S. CDC says it causes fever, headache, muscle pain, weakness, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach pain and unexplained bleeding or bruising.

The Bundibugyo virus was first detected in Uganda’s Bundibugyo district during a 2007-2008 outbreak that infected 149 people and killed 37. The second time was in 2012, in an outbreak in Isiro, Congo, where 57 cases and 29 deaths were reported.

The Africa CDC chief, Dr. Jean Kaseya, told Sky News on Sunday he is in “panic mode” due to a lack of medicines and vaccines, but some candidate treatments are anticipated in the coming weeks.

Ituri's Mongbwalu is in remote eastern Congo, with poor road networks more than 1,000 kilometers (620 miles) from the capital, Kinshasa.

Eastern Congo long has grappled with a humanitarian crisis and the threat of armed groups that have killed dozens and displaced thousands in Ituri in the past year.

U.N. staff have been asked to work from home and avoid physical contact and crowded areas, said a Bunia-based U.N. official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly on the subject.

Ituri has over 273,00 displaced people, according to the U.N.

Rwanda closed its land border with Congo on Sunday. Ugandan authorities said there was no evidence that Ebola was spreading within the country, and said that surveillance has been heightened along its border with Congo.

This corrects an earlier version of the story to note there is only one confirmed death in Uganda, not two.

For more on Africa and development: https://apnews.com/hub/africa-pulse

The Associated Press receives financial support for global health and development coverage in Africa from the Gates Foundation. The AP is solely responsible for all content. Find AP’s standards for working with philanthropies, a list of supporters and funded coverage areas at AP.org.

Medical supplies are stacked inside a World Health Organization (WHO) warehouse in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, May 18, 2026. (AP Photo/Jackson Njehia)

Medical supplies are stacked inside a World Health Organization (WHO) warehouse in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, May 18, 2026. (AP Photo/Jackson Njehia)

People wait to have their temperature taken in front of Kibuli Muslim Hospital in Kampala, Uganda, Saturday, May 16, 2026. (AP Photo/ Hajarah Nalwadda)

People wait to have their temperature taken in front of Kibuli Muslim Hospital in Kampala, Uganda, Saturday, May 16, 2026. (AP Photo/ Hajarah Nalwadda)

A woman wearing a protective mask sells fruit from a roadside stall in Bunia, Congo, Sunday, May 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Dirole Lotsima Dieudonne)

A woman wearing a protective mask sells fruit from a roadside stall in Bunia, Congo, Sunday, May 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Dirole Lotsima Dieudonne)

People wash their hands at the entrance to a hospital in Bunia, Congo, Sunday, May 17, 2026. (AP Photo/ Dirole Lotsima Dieudonne)

People wash their hands at the entrance to a hospital in Bunia, Congo, Sunday, May 17, 2026. (AP Photo/ Dirole Lotsima Dieudonne)

A general view is seen of Bunia where ebola outbreaks have been confirmed in Ituri province, Congo, Sunday, May 17, 2026. (AP Photo/ Dirole Lotsima Dieudonne)

A general view is seen of Bunia where ebola outbreaks have been confirmed in Ituri province, Congo, Sunday, May 17, 2026. (AP Photo/ Dirole Lotsima Dieudonne)

A woman wearing a protective mask stands in the corridor of a hospital in Bunia, Congo, Sunday, May 17, 2026. (AP Photo/ Dirole Lotsima Dieudonne)

A woman wearing a protective mask stands in the corridor of a hospital in Bunia, Congo, Sunday, May 17, 2026. (AP Photo/ Dirole Lotsima Dieudonne)

Recommended Articles