BEREA, Ohio (AP) — Todd Monken reiterated two points about the quarterback competition between Deshaun Watson and Shedeur Sanders as the Cleveland Browns held their second voluntary organized team activity practice on Wednesday.
Both are doing well, and the only deadline the Browns' first-year coach has in mind for naming a starter is by the Sept. 13 opener at Jacksonville.
Click to Gallery
Jimmy Haslam, Cleveland Browns owner, watches during an NFL football practice, Wednesday, May 20, 2026, in Berea, Ohio. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)
Cleveland Browns head coach Todd Monken gestures during an NFL football practice, Wednesday, May 20, 2026, in Berea, Ohio. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)
Cleveland Browns quarterback Shedeur Sanders passes during an NFL football practice, Wednesday, May 20, 2026, in Berea, Ohio. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)
Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson (4) gestures during an NFL football practice, Wednesday, May 20, 2026, in Berea, Ohio. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)
“Nothing’s really changed other than it’s a different day and you’re firing the same questions,” Monken said. “I mean, we’re going to rotate those guys and play the best player, and we’ll see.”
Watson and Sanders both got plenty of snaps with the first team in 11-on-11 drills. Watson’s came at the beginning and Sanders’ were later.
Even though Monken isn’t tipping his hand on who might have the advantage after one month of offseason work, he has liked the progress both have made so far.
Watson, who missed last season after tearing his Achilles tendon twice, has gone 9-10 as Cleveland’s starter since being acquired from Houston in 2022. He has 19 touchdown passes, 12 interceptions and an 80.7 passer rating.
Monken, named Cleveland’s coach on Jan. 28, lauded Watson’s athleticism despite multiple injuries.
“I wouldn’t say it’s a surprise, but it’s exciting to see — it’s a weapon for him. It’s one of his superpowers, his athleticism,” Monken said.
Watson connected on a deep ball with rookie Denzel Boston. The second-round pick made the catch in the end zone while being covered by Tyson Campbell and Ronnie Hickman.
Even though Watson’s future in Cleveland appeared to be bleak last year, Monken said he is giving everyone a clean slate.
“I think it’s really cool that he still has an opportunity, with a chance, to showcase his ability and see where he’s at. I’m all for it,” Monken said.
Sanders also got kudos for his offseason progress after an eventful rookie season. The much-hyped fifth-round pick started the final seven games, going 3-4 with seven touchdown passes, 10 interceptions and a 68.1 passer rating, while struggling at times with footwork and learning the playbook.
“I think Shedeur’s come miles in terms of his progressions, getting the ball out, his understanding of concepts. I think he’s really, really come a long way,” Monken said.
One thing Monken wasn’t pleased about with any of his quarterbacks was interceptions or missed passes during some of the team drills.
“Yeah, we threw interceptions in seven-on-seven, for God’s sake. I mean, who does that? There’s no pass rush. I mean, it’s embarrassing,” he said.
Despite a new head coach and defensive coordinator, AP Defensive Player of the Year Myles Garrett is not expected to be at any of the Browns’ practices until the mandatory minicamp begins on June 9. Monken said he has not yet met face-to-face with Garrett, who set the NFL’s single-season sack record last year with 23.
AP NFL: https://apnews.com/hub/nfl
Jimmy Haslam, Cleveland Browns owner, watches during an NFL football practice, Wednesday, May 20, 2026, in Berea, Ohio. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)
Cleveland Browns head coach Todd Monken gestures during an NFL football practice, Wednesday, May 20, 2026, in Berea, Ohio. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)
Cleveland Browns quarterback Shedeur Sanders passes during an NFL football practice, Wednesday, May 20, 2026, in Berea, Ohio. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)
Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson (4) gestures during an NFL football practice, Wednesday, May 20, 2026, in Berea, Ohio. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)
WASHINGTON (AP) — Republican senators are considering whether to drop a proposal for $1 billion in security money for the White House complex and President Donald Trump’s ballroom after it has failed to win enough party support on Capitol Hill.
Pressured by the White House, Republicans have tried to add the money to a roughly $70 billion bill to restore funding to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the Border Patrol. But the security proposal has met with backlash from some GOP lawmakers who are questioning the cost and the lack of detail from the White House and U.S. Secret Service about how the taxpayer dollars would be used.
Sen. John Kennedy, R-La., said Wednesday that the bill was “back to square one” without the security money because “the votes are not there.”
Sen. Thom Tillis, R-N.C., said the effort to add the security package to the bill was a “bad idea” and he does not think there is enough backing to pass it, even if it were reduced.
The text of the bill has not yet been released. But Senate Majority Leader John Thune, R-S.D., acknowledged “ongoing vote issues” as leaders try to measure Republican support, as well as “ongoing parliamentarian issues” as they try to figure out what will be allowed in the bill under the chamber's rules.
The wrangling comes as Democrats have criticized Republicans for trying to fund Trump’s ballroom when voters are concerned about basic affordability issues — and as some GOP lawmakers have grown increasingly frustrated with Trump. Several GOP senators have spoken out against the administration’s $1.776 billion settlement fund designed to compensate Trump’s allies who believe they have been persecuted, and many were upset by the president’s endorsement Tuesday of Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton in the party primary runoff next week against Sen. John Cornyn.
“There’s always a consequence with taking on United States senators,” Thune said Wednesday. The president “obviously has his favorites and people he wants to endorse and that’s his prerogative. But what we have to deal with up here is moving the agenda, and obviously that can become slightly more complicated.”
The “anti-weaponization" fund, part of a settlement that resolves Trump’s lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service over the leak of his tax returns, has unexpectedly become one of the main complications in the bill. Democrats said they would force votes to block it or place restrictions on it.
Democrats have an opening because Republicans are trying to pass the immigration enforcement bill through a complicated budget process that requires a long series of amendment votes. Democrats are considering multiple amendments potentially to block that new fund outright or to ban any payments to Trump supporters who harmed law enforcement officers in the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol.
Those amendments, along with others, could pass as a growing number of Republicans have voiced reservations about the fund. So Republicans are now discussing their own last-minute add to head that off, potentially placing some parameters on the settlement and who could receive compensation, according to two people with knowledge of the private discussions who requested anonymity to discuss them.
Thune — who said Tuesday that he is “not a big fan” of the settlement and doesn't see a purpose for it —- said Wednesday that any new language potentially putting restrictions on the settlement is “a work in progress."
It's unclear how any Senate Republican changes would be received in the House, even as some Republicans there have also criticized the settlement.
House Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La., said Wednesday that the House will pass the bill “whatever form it takes.”
As Republicans challenged the settlement and parts of his agenda, Trump unloaded on the Senate in a social media post.
He urged Republicans to fire the Senate parliamentarian, Elizabeth MacDonough, who said over the weekend that parts of the $1 billion security proposal cannot remain in the ICE and Border Patrol bill. Trump also renewed his long-standing calls for the Senate to pass the SAVE Act, a Republican bill that would require all voters to prove U.S. citizenship, and to end the Senate filibuster.
Republicans need to “get smart and tough," Trump said, or “you’ll all be looking for a job much sooner than you thought possible!”
While they have been loyal to Trump on most issues, Senate Republicans have resisted his repeated calls — even in his first term — to kill the filibuster, which triggers a 60-vote threshold in the Senate.
Hanging over the growing GOP rift is Trump’s surprise endorsement of Paxton. That intervention has Republican senators privately fuming that it could cost them their majority in November as they view the incumbent, Cornyn, as the better candidate in the November general election.
Under the Secret Service request, about $220 million would pay for security improvements related to the ballroom. The rest would go for a new screening center for visitors, training and other security measures.
Tillis said the bill should not have included the other security improvements “because it’s just giving everybody the ‘billion-dollar ballroom.'"
Several other Republicans in the House and Senate have questioned the request, and senators left a briefing with the director of the Secret Service last week saying they needed a lot more information.
People “can’t afford groceries and gasoline and healthcare, and we’re going to do a billion dollars for a ballroom?” asked Louisiana Sen. Bill Cassidy, who lost reelection in his GOP primary on Saturday after Trump endorsed one of his opponents.
Left in the bill is the money for ICE and Border Patrol, which Democrats have blocked for months in protest of the Trump administration's immigration enforcement crackdown.
Democrats demanded reforms for the agencies, but negotiations with the White House yielded little progress. So Republicans are using the complicated budget maneuver called reconciliation — the same process that allowed them to pass Trump's tax and spending cuts bill last year — to fund the agencies through the end of Trump's term with a simple majority and no Democratic votes.
Still, passage requires signoff from the parliamentarian, and unity from Republicans.
“We're working on it,” Thune said as he left the Capitol on Wednesday evening.
__
AP Congressional Correspondent Lisa Mascaro contributed to this report.
Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche testifies during a Senate Committee on Appropriations subcommittee hearing to address the Trump administration's budget request for the Justice Department, Tuesday, May 19, 2026, on Capitol Hill in Washington. (AP Photo/Mariam Zuhaib)
President Donald Trump tours Ballroom construction around the outside the White House, Tuesday, May 19, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
Work continues on the construction of the ballroom at the White House, Tuesday, May 19, 2026, in Washington, where the East Wing once stood. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
The Ballroom construction site can be seen as President Donald Trump tours the area at the White House, Tuesday, May 19, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)