LONDON (AP) — Hundreds of people in Ireland are calling for justice for a Congolese man who died after he was restrained by security guards outside a Dublin department store.
Activists said disturbing video of Yves Sakila in distress as he was pinned to the sidewalk was reminiscent of the killing of George Floyd by police officers in Minneapolis in 2020.
Click to Gallery
People take part in a protest outside Leinster House, Dublin, Ireland, over the death of Congolese man Yves Sakila, Thursday May 21, 2026. (Cillian Sherlock/PA via AP)
People attend a vigil for Yves Sakila on Henry Street, Dublin, Ireland, Tuesday May 19, 2026. (Brian Lawless/PA via AP)
People attend a vigil for Yves Sakila on Henry Street, Dublin, Ireland, Tuesday May 19, 2026. (Brian Lawless/PA via AP)
People attend a vigil for Yves Sakila on Henry Street, Dublin, Ireland, Tuesday May 19, 2026. (Brian Lawless/PA via AP)
Walter Kabangu, director of the Congolese Chamber of Commerce in Ireland, taking part in a protest outside Leinster House in Dublin, Ireland, Thursday, May 21, 2026, over the death of Congolese man Yves Sakila following an incident with security guards at a Dublin department store. (Cillian Sherlock/PA via AP)
Sakila, 35, had been chased and detained May 15 by several security guards who suspected him of shoplifting at Arnotts, Ireland's oldest and largest department store, in the heart of Dublin. He was unresponsive when police arrived and was later pronounced dead at a hospital.
“Yves Sakila was a man who did not deserve to die," Suzie Tansia, of the Congolese Community Ireland, said at a demonstration Thursday. "He was a human being, like you and I. He was somebody’s son, and that could have been any one of us.”
Here are some things to know about the incident.
Attorney John Gerard Cullen, who represents the man's family, said Sakila allegedly stole a bottle of perfume from the store.
Sakila was pursued by security officers as he fled, knocking over a man in his 80s who was hospitalized with injuries, police said.
Video of the incident, described by the Irish Network Against Racism as “very disturbing," shows a man said to be Sakila struggling and crying out in distress as he was held down by several men for nearly five minutes.
As he was subdued, another man, wearing a gray suit, appears to kneel on Sakila's neck, the group said. By the end of the video, he is motionless.
“We are very concerned that this case appears to have the hallmarks of a case of excessive use of force,” said Shane O’Curry, director of the network. "The death of a Black man in such circumstances is extremely worrying, and we urge the authorities to thoroughly investigate all of the circumstances leading to this man’s death, in order to ensure minority ethnic community confidence in the criminal justice system.”
The department store said it was “deeply saddened” by Sakila's death and was conducting a review of its privately contracted security services. It said it was cooperating with police.
Prime Minister Micheál Martin called for a thorough investigation.
“My deepest sympathies go out to his family, and to the wider Congolese community,” Martin said. “I don’t want to prejudice the outcome of that investigation but I think a lot of people are clearly very concerned about what has transpired here.”
Police are investigating the death but are also the subject of an internal probe by the ombudsman into their response.
News reports said the first officers on the scene handcuffed Sakila before realizing he was unresponsive and performing CPR.
An autopsy has been completed, but police have not released the cause of death, citing operational reasons.
Cullen said Sakila's family is frustrated at the little information they have been provided.
Police have asked for witnesses to come forward.
Sakila had moved from Congo to Galway as a teen and lived in Ireland more than 20 years. He had worked in the technology industry but was homeless in recent years. Cullen said Sakila struggled with drug abuse.
Walter Kabangu, the director of the Congolese Chamber of Commerce in Ireland who went to school with Sakila, described him as a “very down-to-earth young man."
A vigil was held Tuesday outside Arnotts and hundreds of protesters peacefully gathered Thursday outside Parliament.
They held signs that said “Black lives matter here too," and shouted, “Justice for Yves, dignity for all,” and “No justice, no peace.”
Before the protest, the Black Coalition Ireland held a news conference and announced five demands: a transparent investigation of the death; racial training for police; laws against excessive force in civilian detention; an end to “demonizing rhetoric” against ethnic communities; and equal treatment for all in practice — not just on paper.
“We are demanding this because our lives matter," said Yemi Adenuga, a Meath County councilor who is a spokeswoman for the coalition. "It would be sad to see this happen again on the streets of Dublin.”
People take part in a protest outside Leinster House, Dublin, Ireland, over the death of Congolese man Yves Sakila, Thursday May 21, 2026. (Cillian Sherlock/PA via AP)
People attend a vigil for Yves Sakila on Henry Street, Dublin, Ireland, Tuesday May 19, 2026. (Brian Lawless/PA via AP)
People attend a vigil for Yves Sakila on Henry Street, Dublin, Ireland, Tuesday May 19, 2026. (Brian Lawless/PA via AP)
People attend a vigil for Yves Sakila on Henry Street, Dublin, Ireland, Tuesday May 19, 2026. (Brian Lawless/PA via AP)
Walter Kabangu, director of the Congolese Chamber of Commerce in Ireland, taking part in a protest outside Leinster House in Dublin, Ireland, Thursday, May 21, 2026, over the death of Congolese man Yves Sakila following an incident with security guards at a Dublin department store. (Cillian Sherlock/PA via AP)
MANCHESTER, England (AP) — Pep Guardiola confirmed Friday what Manchester City fans had been fearing. The club’s most successful manager is leaving, bringing to a close a trophy-laden, 10-year spell in which he established City as one of major forces in Europe and changed the face of English soccer.
Guardiola, who had a further year left on his City contract, will take charge of his final game against Aston Villa in the Premier League on Sunday.
“Don’t ask me the reasons I’m leaving. There is no reason, but deep inside, I know it’s my time,” he said
City said Guardiola would take up a role as global ambassador.
Enzo Maresca — the former Chelsea manager who was previously assistant to Guardiola at City — is the favorite to take on the daunting task of filling the Catalan's shoes after a decade of unprecedented dominance.
Since joining City in the summer of 2016, Guardiola led the Abu Dhabi-backed team to six Premier League titles and the Champions League for the first time in 2023.
He won 17 major trophies in all, including a domestic double this season of the English League Cup and the FA Cup. He has won 35 major titles across his coaching career including his time at Barcelona and Bayern Munich.
City was far his longest job in management, having never previously stayed more than four years in a role.
“I will not train for a while,” Guardiola said. “I feel I would not have the energy that is required to daily … with the expectations to fight for the titles.”
Guardiola set new benchmarks, with City becoming the first team to win four-straight English league titles and the first to amass 100 points in a single season in 2018. The following year City became the first team to win the domestic treble of the league, FA Cup and League Cup in the same season.
But his biggest achievement was leading City to the ultimate treble in 2023, winning the league, Champions League and FA Cup — matching Manchester United’s feat from more than 20 years earlier in 1999.
He also brought to England a style of soccer — a possession-based approach that started with playing the ball out from the goalkeeper or defense — that ended up being mimicked across the country, from kids’ teams at grassroots level to rival teams in the Premier League.
“The unique approach that he brings to his coaching has allowed him to constantly challenge the accepted truths of our game. It is the reason that in the last 10 years he has not only made Manchester City better — he has also made football better,” City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak said. He added that it was the “right answer” for Guardiola to walk away now.
While he goes out on another trophy-winning campaign, this was the first time in his career that he has gone two seasons without being crowned league champion.
City was also eliminated from the Champions League before the quarterfinal stage in each of the last two years.
City said Guardiola's new role would see him give technical advice to clubs in its ownership group.
“Pep’s legacy is extraordinary and its true impact will be better assessed by Manchester City historians of the future,” said chief executive Ferran Sorriano. “If there is something more difficult than winning, it is winning again. It requires incredible persistence, resilience and the humility to start again every year, with the same energy, again and again. This is what Pep did.”
While Guardiola will go down as one of the greatest managers in Premier League history — rivaling Alex Ferguson — he repeatedly had to defend City against allegations of financial breaches, with more than 100 charges still hanging over the club.
City was accused of providing misleading information about its finances over a nine-year period from 2009-18 — a span in which it won three titles and signed some of the world’s best players, like Yaya Toure, Sergio Aguero and Kevin de Bruyne. One of those titles was won under Guardiola.
City has always denied wrongdoing. Guardiola said he “fully convinced” the club was innocent.
“We worked. We suffered. We fought. And we did things our own way. Our way,” said Guardiola in his farewell message to fans.
AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer
Manchester City's head coach Pep Guardiola leaves the field at the end of the English Premier League soccer match between AFC Bournemouth and Manchester City in Bournemouth, England, Tuesday, May 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Ian Walton)
FILE - Then Chelsea's head coach Enzo Maresca reacts during the Champions League opening phase soccer match between Atalanta and Chelsea, in Bergamo, Italy, Dec. 9, 2025. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni, File)
Manchester City's head coach Pep Guardiola greets fans before the English FA Cup final soccer match between Chelsea and Manchester City in London, Saturday, May 16, 2026. (AP Photo/Richard Pelham)
Manchester City's head coach Pep Guardiola greets fans at the end of the English Premier League soccer match between Manchester City and Crystal Palace in Manchester, England, Wednesday, May 13, 2026. (AP Photo/Ian Hodgson)
FILE - Manchester City's head coach Pep Guardiola greets fans at the end of the English Premier League soccer match between Manchester City and Brentford in Manchester, Saturday, May 9, 2026. (AP Photo/Dave Thompson, File)