PARIS (AP) — Ten questions into her pre-tournament news conference as the defending champion at the French Open, Coco Gauff announced she was done.
“I have to go. Sorry. I’ll see you guys later,” Gauff said as she got up and walked out.
That was about as serious as the protest from top-10 players got at Roland Garros as interactions with reporters were limited to 15 minutes on Friday.
The players announced the limitation due to their displeasure about not getting a bigger share of tournament revenues at the clay-court Grand Slam, where play starts on Sunday. Top-ranked Aryna Sabalenka had even discussed a boycott.
“It shows a lot of us are all on the same page and have kind of a collective action other than just having conversations,” Gauff said. “This is the first real point of action we have done.”
Players have criticized French Open organizers for reducing the players’ share of revenue to under 15% — compared to 22% at regular ATP and WTA Tour events.
The only player who came near to approaching 15 minutes in the question and answer sessions was record 24-time Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic, who clocked in at 14 minutes, 48 seconds.
But Djokovic, who was celebrating his 39th birthday, said he wasn’t officially taking part in the protest. He still voiced an opinion on the subject, though, pointing to the schism between the PGA Tour and LIV Golf.
“Golf is a good example of a professional individual global sport that has been through and is still going through very challenging times in terms of the governance and splitting tours and players," Djokovic said. “Let’s try to be a bit more united and have a unifying voice into finding a better structure and better future for our sport."
Larry Scott, the former WTA CEO and ex-commissioner of the Pac-10 collegiate sports conference, has been advising the players.
Fifth-ranked Jessica Pegula said the players with Scott’s help needed to find “a middle ground of what we can do together that’s feasible the week before a Slam.
“If you try to talk about more extreme circumstances then all of a sudden people aren’t on board, you can’t get anything to happen."
Roland Garros organizers increased the prize money by about 10%, after the U.S. Open last year raised their’s by 20% and this year’s Australian Open by 16%.
The entire French Open pot was 61.7 million euros ($72 million), up 5.3 million euros from last year. But the players claimed their share of Roland Garros revenue declined from 15.5% in 2024 to 14.9% projected in 2026.
Marta Kostyuk, who enters Roland Garros on an 11-match winning streak after clay-court titles in Rouen, France, and Madrid, wasn’t part of the protest.
“I didn’t decide not to participate. I was just never asked to be in the discussion,” the 15th-ranked Kostyuk said. “I’m still not a top 10 player, so that’s probably the reason. … I’m very happy to be part of the conversation and discussion. I always have something to say.”
Corentin Moutet, a 32nd-ranked Frenchman known for his unconventional style of play, declared he was “not part of any movement.
“It's an individual sport. If there was actually a movement, we would have known of it earlier,” Moutet said. “We all have our own interests, and my interest at the moment is to play better. … Sports has to be put before everything else.”
Other French players also stayed out of the protest. Although host France doesn’t have any top 10 players, Arthur Fils at No. 19 is the top-ranked Frenchman and Lois Boisson, a semifinalist last year, is the top Frenchwoman at No. 50.
AP tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis
United States' tennis player Coco Gauff speaks to the media during the draw for the French Open tennis tournament, Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)
Kyle Busch grew to expect — even appreciate — the boos.
The driver nicknamed Wild Thing, Outlaw, Rowdy and KFB over his 26-year NASCAR career was more comfortable than anyone might imagine with a checkered flag in one hand and fans jeering all around. He leaned into the villain role as the wins mounted — and boy did they — and even started encouraging his haters, trying to get the howling to a fever pitch before delivering his signature bow.
It was Busch at his best.
And it’s the way he should be remembered.
The two-time Cup Series champion, who won more races than anyone across NASCAR’s three national series, died Thursday at age 41. Tributes poured in, with many echoing the sentiment that racing had lost one of its fiercest competitors.
Busch was that — and so much more.
He was arguably the greatest driver of his generation, displaying unrivaled success. He notched a combined 234 wins — 63 in the top-tier Cup Series and another 171 in NASCAR’s two feeder series, O’Reilly (102) and Trucks (69).
He was a devoted husband, a side that became public when he and wife Samantha chronicled their struggle to become parents and later founded the Bundle of Joy Fund, which is dedicated to advancing access to in vitro fertilization (IVF) care and providing support so others don’t have to navigate infertility alone. The fund has raised more than $2 million and has celebrated the birth of 111 babies.
He was a loving father, who tirelessly tried to teach his 11-year-old son, Brexton, everything he could about racing and even sold his successful Truck Series team to help raise money to support his son's budding career.
He was even one of NASCAR’s most popular — some would say polarizing — drivers thanks to his longtime M&M's sponsorship. Kids flocked to Busch and his colorful No. 18 Toyota at Joe Gibbs Racing.
Older fans might not have been as supportive, and it was evident every time Busch took the checkered flag and responded to booing with a mocking bow.
“This is a devastating loss and one that is hard for the NASCAR community to process. Kyle was a fierce competitor who demanded the very best from himself each time he put on the helmet,” four-time Cup Series champion Jeff Gordon said. “As teammates, I saw firsthand the passion and intensity he brought to the sport every single day.
“He was a champion and a prolific racer who made a tremendous impact on NASCAR and was a lifelong advocate for all forms of motor sports. But beyond the track, he loved his family deeply and was incredibly proud of Samantha, Brexton and Lennix.”
Busch had become sort of a sympathetic figure in recent years, a series champion in the worst slump of his career and a surefire Hall of Famer who never got to celebrate a Daytona 500 victory. Both skids bothered him, no doubt, the first more than the second.
Busch’s last Cup Series victory came at World Wide Technology Raceway in Illinois in 2023. Busch won three of the first 15 races that season, his first with Richard Childress Racing. RCR had built the Next Gen prototype, so the team had an early advantage with the new car.
But once everyone else caught up, Busch and RCR lagged behind. He was winless in his final 105 starts and changed crew chiefs twice this season while searching for a winning combination. The most trying part: Feeling like he was letting Brexton down week after week.
“It’s no secret, right? And seeing my son and his passion that he has; he really is probably my biggest cheerleader,” Busch said at Daytona International Speedway in February. “And he wants to see me run well. He wants to see me win races. He wants to celebrate in victory lane like he sees other drivers’ kids being able to do.
“So there’s nothing more that drives me every single weekend than seeing him see me and be proud of me.”
Busch died after being hospitalized with a severe illness. It came three days before he was to compete in the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Busch was testing in the Chevrolet racing simulator in Concord, North Carolina, on Wednesday when he became unresponsive and was transported to a hospital in Charlotte, several people familiar with the situation told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because details have not been disclosed by Busch’s team or family.
Busch’s death came 11 days after he radioed his crew near the end of a Cup Series race at Watkins Glen and asked a doctor to give him a “shot” when he finished the race. Busch had been struggling with a sinus cold exacerbated by the intense G-forces and elevation changes at the New York road course, broadcasters said.
Busch finished that race eighth. He competed at Dover last weekend and — maybe fittingly — won his last Trucks Series start for Spire. He then finished 17th in the NASCAR All-Star race, his final event.
Busch stormed into the Cup Series in 2005 and won Rookie of the Year honors. He was at Hendrick Motorsports at the time, a job he was fired from to make room for Dale Earnhardt Jr.
His career, though, was as much defined by post-race fights, feuds with other drivers and outlandish behavior as all the trips to victory lane.
Nonetheless, Busch won championships in 2015 and 2019 for Joe Gibbs Racing. His first title came after he missed part of the season while recovering from two broken legs. He was let go from JGR in 2022 after losing his M&M’s sponsor and with the team looking to make room for Ty Gibbs, the grandson of team owner Joe Gibbs.
Busch landed at RCR, where he ranked a disappointing 24th in Cup Series points after 12 races. But an indelible image was his final victory. And he celebrated that Truck Series win with two bows amid a scattering of boos.
“You take whatever you can get, man,” Busch said. “You never know when the last one is going to be, so cherish them all — trust me.”
AP auto racing: https://apnews.com/hub/auto-racing
FILE - Kyle Busch is introduced during the NASCAR All-Star auto race at Dover Motor Speedway, Sunday, May 17, 2026, in Dover, Del. (AP Photo/Derik Hamilton, File, File)
FILE - Kyle Busch drinks champagne after winning the Nationwide series championship and the NASCAR Ford 300 Nationwide series auto race at the Homestead-Miami Speedway in Homestead, Fla., Saturday, Nov. 21, 2009. (AP Photo/Terry Renna, File)
FILE - Kyle Busch celebrates his win in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series' Autism Speaks 400 auto race, Sunday, May 16, 2010, in Dover, Del. (AP Photo/Nick Wass, File)
FILE - Kyle Busch celebrates after winning the NASCAR Cup Series auto race at Charlotte Motor Speedway in Charlotte, N.C., Sunday, May 27, 2018. (AP Photo/Chuck Burton, File)
FILE - Kyle Busch waits in his car before practice for Sunday's NASCAR Sprint Cup series Coca-Cola 600 auto race at Charlotte Motor Speedway in Concord, N.C., Saturday, May 25, 2013. (AP Photo/Mike McCarn, File, File)
FILE - Kyle Busch waits for the start of a NASCAR Xfinity Series auto race Saturday, June 19, 2021, in Lebanon, Tenn. (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey, File)