Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Chinese, African banks seek closer synergy to boost trade, investment: Moroccan banker

China

China

China

Chinese, African banks seek closer synergy to boost trade, investment: Moroccan banker

2026-05-22 17:14 Last Updated At:05-23 01:47

A senior representative from a leading Moroccan bank has hailed the long-term partnerships forged between China and Africa in the financial sector, stressing how efforts have been made to facilitate trade and investment in the long run and enable new horizons of growth.

Youssef Rouissi, delegate general manager of the Casablanca-based Attijariwafa bank, shared the key topics covered in his exchanges with Chinese banking delegates at the 2026 China-Africa Financial Bridge Forum held in Beijing on Wednesday.

The event centered on the latest trends of China-Africa cooperation, as well as tailored financial solutions offered by Morocco's foreign trade bank for Chinese clients.

In an interview with the China Global Television Network (CGTN) on the sidelines of the forum, Rouissi outlined the key focuses for collaboration.

"We have always discussions concerning how we can build together bridges and synergies to increase the level of trade and investment. It's always a matter of combining -- how we can combine your presence as an African institution and our strength as a global Chinese bank to serve the Chinese strategy in the continent. And thanks to our project finance capabilities and the trade finance capabilities, we try to offer solutions in order to facilitate the Chinese investment on the ground in Western Africa, Central Africa and Northern Africa. And [we are] always discussing with our Chinese banks on the opportunities and connections with potential clients and investments because our view is that between China and Africa there is a strategic long-term partnership," he said.

Rouissi also stressed the benefits that have come from the consistent and "long-term vision" in trade between China and Africa -- noting the staggering growth over the 25 last years, which has seen China-Africa trade go from just 10 billion U.S. dollars in the year 2000 to hit almost 350 billion U.S. dollars last year.

He also cited China's move at the start of this month to expand its zero-tariff treatment to cover all 53 African countries with which it has diplomatic ties, which will create further new opportunities for Africa to boost exports and expand trade.

"And with Morocco as well, we see that the trade is going [up] at double digits, with a growth last year of 17 percent to 10 billion U.S. dollars. So this is also reinforced by the decision that has been made [on] May 1 to set up a zero-tariff policy with 53 African countries. So it shows again the long-term vision from China towards Africa," he said.

Looking ahead, Rouissi said he also expects China and Africa to explore new growth based on existing cooperation models while also being open to new ideas which can further drive development in an era of change and innovation.

"We have seen acceleration in the pace and the rhythm of innovation, investment and trade. It has been always very impressive to see that actually the economic development is set on the long-term as a structural pattern for change and for economic growth. So we have witnessed this capacity in China to expand the business and to grow in the long run. And we have witnessed this huge capacity of mobilization, but also the openness of the economy of the companies to welcome new ideas and to exchange new horizons of growth," said the banker.

Chinese, African banks seek closer synergy to boost trade, investment: Moroccan banker

Chinese, African banks seek closer synergy to boost trade, investment: Moroccan banker

The hantavirus outbreak linked to the cruise ship, MV Hondius, has now reached 12 confirmed cases, with three reported deaths, World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Friday.

Speaking at a press briefing in Geneva, Tedros said the Netherlands had confirmed an additional case involving a crew member who disembarked in Tenerife, Spain, was repatriated to the Netherlands and has been isolating since then.

No deaths have been reported since May 2, when the outbreak was first reported to WHO, said Tedros.

He urged the affected countries to continue carefully monitoring all passengers and crew members for the remainder of the quarantine period.

More than 600 contacts continue to be followed in 30 countries, and a small number of high-risk contacts are still being located, according to the WHO chief.

He also thanked the countries cooperating in the international response and epidemiological investigation.

The cruise, operated by Oceanwide Expeditions, departed from Argentina on April 1, carrying around 150 passengers and crew members from more than 20 countries.

The ship arrived at the Dutch port city of Rotterdam on Monday for disinfection, ending a voyage that had drawn the attention of international health authorities over hantavirus infections on board.

Hantavirus cases linked to cruise ship rise to 12 after crew member tests positive: WHO

Hantavirus cases linked to cruise ship rise to 12 after crew member tests positive: WHO

Recommended Articles